Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 8 on Laptop...havn't been able to use for couple years :Forgot Password

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wendyjackson

wendyjackson

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:15 AM

Hey all.... has been a while...I have a laptop and havn't been able to use it for a couple years.... due to illness...

I had forgotten the password.... and at the moment being mucked around by MS..... 

The original email addy was an outlook.com address..... and that's the pass I had forgotten....

now having about 10 different people for MS (trying to help) all saying to try this and that...I have changed the email...so I can log in from my PC

and now can't get into laptop as it is stuck on  W ....@outlook .com  

I did have 2 step activated...but in the past few years have changed mobile phone....

I hope someone can help me get into my laptop :( 

Have added the laptop front screen with email it is stuck on... (cant change email...it goes straight to pass) 

Thank in advance and sorry for long post x

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:16 PM

There are a shockingly large number of ways to get into a windows PC without the password. For any help to be provided from here we will need some system details:
1. Which version of windows 8, plain 8 or 8.1 , is on the machine
2. Do you have all your personal files on the machine backed up to external media (if you do then reinstall type methods might be ok for you, but if not then you daren't reinstall unless you're happy to lose the files)
3. Are you bothered about the programs installed on the system? That is to say would you be interested in methods of solving this that don't lead to the loss of any personal files but would require you to redo all your system settings and installation of programs after the fix is done?
4. You mention links between a pc and an outlook email address, does this imply that you were using a "connected microsoft account", or were you just using a regular local account
5. Did you ever encrypt the drve with bitlocker or any other similar product? If not then the fix for this will be pretty simple, if you did encrypt then there might be no other option than wiping the machine to a fresh state and reinstalling everything.
6. Can you also provide any other system specifications, they might be helpful.

As for methods of fixing this they could include: password reset discs, wiping and reinstalling windows, other forms of rescue media and certain types of boot CD(I think the forum rules thesedays do allow discussion of these nowadays but I'm no expert on them so can't advise you), live booting from a linux USB and seeing about editing parts of your windows files from there to make logging in possible, some command prompt methods (these could be done on old versions of windows back in Xp days but I don't know whether they can still work on modern more secure systems).

In general however the only methods that are likely to work if your system is encrypted are wiping and reinstalling, also these methods won't get you access to that email again and won't get you access to any sort of connected microsoft account again, but they should probably let you get back into your PC itself.

EDIT:Right now don't worry about any technical terms in my reply above which you didn't quite recognise, just provide more details of your issue and try your best to answer those 6 questions. Someone can then help you later with the steps involved in performing whichever method of fix turns out to be most approproiate to your problem.

Edited by rp88, 08 November 2017 - 03:18 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 4,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:25 AM

If MS Successively changed your password, sometimes you need to wait a while for it to be usable, did they tell you this?

Also, if you had not used the pc in that long it may have tried to Upgrade to Windows 10, and the Install got botched, therefore leaving you with an usable log-in or desktop.  That's the only thing I can think of if MS helped you and successfully changed log-in credentials?

Do you have Recovery Media?

Please provide the model number of your pc, and Not the Serial Number.  That way we can look into it further.

You may want to go to Windows 10 if you don't have recovery Media for Windows 8, but you would have to create the Windows 10 Media on another machine, or get it from a friend.  A Windows 8 reinstall may be more than you want to do, and therefore would be better to let a professional do it.  Windows 8 can take ages to install, and even more knowledge is required if using a Retail Image.

If the machine is not a Windows 10 botch, then you may be able to use some password cracking software like rp88 suggested, but this will also take some work and another computer to create the media on.

Edited by pcpunk, 11 November 2017 - 03:33 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 wendyjackson

wendyjackson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:31 AM

Hey all sorry have been away.... hence the "no reply"

Ok I don't need the files on laptop as I have them on my pc.... Laptop will used for music gigs....so mainly backing tracks 

The laptop is a win 8.1.... came with that but I was so sure I did the win 10 update!! before I got sick....

Have tried safe mode... but still goes back to password screen.....

Link for MS works on pc but not LTop  every time I "spoke" (typed) to MS it was someone else...so had to go thru the whole thing again...

then it was...ok talk to out techies..(for a price) they had all my details that they needed and couldn't even reset for me.....

wish there was another op system :(

Thanks in Advance x'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users