Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 8 on Laptop...havn't been able to use for couple years :Forgot Password

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wendyjackson

wendyjackson

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:15 AM

Hey all.... has been a while...I have a laptop and havn't been able to use it for a couple years.... due to illness...

I had forgotten the password.... and at the moment being mucked around by MS..... 

The original email addy was an outlook.com address..... and that's the pass I had forgotten....

now having about 10 different people for MS (trying to help) all saying to try this and that...I have changed the email...so I can log in from my PC

and now can't get into laptop as it is stuck on  W ....@outlook .com  

I did have 2 step activated...but in the past few years have changed mobile phone....

I hope someone can help me get into my laptop :( 

Have added the laptop front screen with email it is stuck on... (cant change email...it goes straight to pass) 

Thank in advance and sorry for long post x

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,859 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:16 PM

There are a shockingly large number of ways to get into a windows PC without the password. For any help to be provided from here we will need some system details:
1. Which version of windows 8, plain 8 or 8.1 , is on the machine
2. Do you have all your personal files on the machine backed up to external media (if you do then reinstall type methods might be ok for you, but if not then you daren't reinstall unless you're happy to lose the files)
3. Are you bothered about the programs installed on the system? That is to say would you be interested in methods of solving this that don't lead to the loss of any personal files but would require you to redo all your system settings and installation of programs after the fix is done?
4. You mention links between a pc and an outlook email address, does this imply that you were using a "connected microsoft account", or were you just using a regular local account
5. Did you ever encrypt the drve with bitlocker or any other similar product? If not then the fix for this will be pretty simple, if you did encrypt then there might be no other option than wiping the machine to a fresh state and reinstalling everything.
6. Can you also provide any other system specifications, they might be helpful.

As for methods of fixing this they could include: password reset discs, wiping and reinstalling windows, other forms of rescue media and certain types of boot CD(I think the forum rules thesedays do allow discussion of these nowadays but I'm no expert on them so can't advise you), live booting from a linux USB and seeing about editing parts of your windows files from there to make logging in possible, some command prompt methods (these could be done on old versions of windows back in Xp days but I don't know whether they can still work on modern more secure systems).

In general however the only methods that are likely to work if your system is encrypted are wiping and reinstalling, also these methods won't get you access to that email again and won't get you access to any sort of connected microsoft account again, but they should probably let you get back into your PC itself.

EDIT:Right now don't worry about any technical terms in my reply above which you didn't quite recognise, just provide more details of your issue and try your best to answer those 6 questions. Someone can then help you later with the steps involved in performing whichever method of fix turns out to be most approproiate to your problem.

Edited by rp88, 08 November 2017 - 03:18 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:25 AM

If MS Successively changed your password, sometimes you need to wait a while for it to be usable, did they tell you this?

Also, if you had not used the pc in that long it may have tried to Upgrade to Windows 10, and the Install got botched, therefore leaving you with an usable log-in or desktop.  That's the only thing I can think of if MS helped you and successfully changed log-in credentials?

Do you have Recovery Media?

Please provide the model number of your pc, and Not the Serial Number.  That way we can look into it further.

You may want to go to Windows 10 if you don't have recovery Media for Windows 8, but you would have to create the Windows 10 Media on another machine, or get it from a friend.  A Windows 8 reinstall may be more than you want to do, and therefore would be better to let a professional do it.  Windows 8 can take ages to install, and even more knowledge is required if using a Retail Image.

If the machine is not a Windows 10 botch, then you may be able to use some password cracking software like rp88 suggested, but this will also take some work and another computer to create the media on.

Edited by pcpunk, 11 November 2017 - 03:33 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 wendyjackson

wendyjackson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:31 AM

Hey all sorry have been away.... hence the "no reply"

Ok I don't need the files on laptop as I have them on my pc.... Laptop will used for music gigs....so mainly backing tracks 

The laptop is a win 8.1.... came with that but I was so sure I did the win 10 update!! before I got sick....

Have tried safe mode... but still goes back to password screen.....

Link for MS works on pc but not LTop  every time I "spoke" (typed) to MS it was someone else...so had to go thru the whole thing again...

then it was...ok talk to out techies..(for a price) they had all my details that they needed and couldn't even reset for me.....

wish there was another op system :(

Thanks in Advance x'

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:04 PM

It's not too late to upgrade to Windows 10 using the Assistive Technologies upgrade.  This is a free Windows 10 upgrade for those who use assistive technologies, someone who wears corrective lenses fits this description, but more importantly... Microsoft doesn't check to see if you use any of the assistive technologies.

This upgrade is very simple to do, all you have to do is click/tap on the Upgrade Now button and follow the instructions.  This will not effect your personal files or programs  you have installed.  This will install Windows 10 with the latest update (1709).  I upgraded the wife's laptop to Windows 10 using this, it was very easy, even the wife admitted that she could have done this.  This offer ends on December 31st 2017.

What is the make and model of this laptop?

Do you know how to boot into the BIOS?

I'm assuming that at this point you can't boot into Windows, correct?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,859 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:50 PM

dc3, are you sure about that mention of programs being unchanged by an upgrade to windows 10? I'm pretty sure all programs get wiped when the OS is changed, though I know that personal files should remain.

wendyjackson, before deciding if you do want to upgrade to windows 10 make sure you read around what people think of it. There are supporters but there are also plenty who think it better to avoid windows 10. Make sure to get an idea of what is right for you before deciding.

I think wendy can get as far as the login scren but doesn't have the password to get any further.

Edited by rp88, 20 November 2017 - 05:50 PM.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,758 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:17 AM

@ rp88

This information has been around since the Windows 10 was first released.  I have been aware of this information since it was made available.  It appears that you have not been doing your homework.

The following information is from Windows Support.

Can I keep my settings when I upgrade to Windows 10?

If you’re running Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or Windows 8.1 Update, in most cases you’ll be able to keep your Windows settings, personal files, and most apps when you upgrade to Windows 10. During the upgrade, we’ll let you know if anything might be removed—but it’s always a good idea to back up your files before you start upgrading.

As you can see Microsoft states that this upgrade will not affect your programs.  But the fact is that there is a good possibility that any third party programs may be uninstalled during the upgrade.  When I updated from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 I didn't lose any programs, go figure.

You obviously are not a fan of Windows 10, this is apparent in your suggestion that the OP read all the "gossip" out there and then decide if this operating system is for them.  There are two camps out there, those who like Windows 10, and there are those who don't like Windows 10.  It seems that for the most part those who aren't fans of Windows 10 don't take the time to learn how to use this operating system.  But there are also those who are knowledgeable in navigating and using Windows 10 who are update shy with Windows 10.  Microsoft has made mistakes which has required corrections in the form of more updates, but so far they have managed to correct those mistakes.  My wife and I both have Windows 10 installed on our everyday computers.  My wife's use basically involves playing games like Candy Crush, getting her email, sending email, and doing searches for "good deals".  I upgraded her operating system from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and installed Classic Shell to provide her with a menu that is very similar to that of Windows 7.  She has no problems using this operating system and actually likes some of the features that became available in Windows 10.

The bottom line here is that you are expressing personal opinions without backing up your statements with facts.

Edited by dc3, 21 November 2017 - 10:21 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,859 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 03:53 PM

I always thought by "apps" they meant windows store apps, whilst normal window exe file programs (especially older 32 bit ones) were likely to be lost. As you say you ddn't loose any programs youself I stand corrected, my apologies for the mistake in interpreting what ms's statement said.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,758 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:35 AM

What Microsoft says can turn out to have holes, take it with a grain of salt.

Here's a definition of Application and Program I ran across here.

Application- A program or group of programs that is designed for the end user. Application software (an application) is a set of computer programs designed to permit the user to perform a group of coordinated functions, tasks, or activities. Application software cannot run on itself but is dependent on system software to execute.

Program- A set of instructions telling a computer what to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users