Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creative Soundblaster Z on Ubuntu 17.04

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 xnite

xnite

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 12:00 AM

I can't get any audio out of my soundblaster z even though it appears in the audio devices.

Furthermore the card shows up as 2.1 instead of 5.1 surround.

I've tried a few suggestions for Ubuntu 14.04 and 16.04 but nothing seems to work.

I'm positive that the wires are plugged in correctly because my audio does work in Windows.

Edited by xnite, 31 October 2017 - 12:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,971 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 03 November 2017 - 04:57 AM

seems this is one of those pieces of hardware that doesnt work with linux.

Its not the fault of linux as linux is independently developed, there is no multi billion dollar company funding it nor do some hardware makers work well with linux.

Linux support has to come from both ends, the hardware makers need to provide a good open source or well integrated proprietary drivers like what nvidia does.

Do you have other audio output on your machine?

Are you open to alternatives?

I know this sucks as I know these kinds of cards are pricey but its how linux is sometimes, its still a great system but its stuff like this that do annoy me when a major hardware company gives linux the middle finger.

Edited by MadmanRB, 03 November 2017 - 05:02 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#3 xnite

xnite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 03 November 2017 - 02:29 PM

seems this is one of those pieces of hardware that doesnt work with linux.

Its not the fault of linux as linux is independently developed, there is no multi billion dollar company funding it nor do some hardware makers work well with linux.

Linux support has to come from both ends, the hardware makers need to provide a good open source or well integrated proprietary drivers like what nvidia does.

Do you have other audio output on your machine?

Are you open to alternatives?

I know this sucks as I know these kinds of cards are pricey but its how linux is sometimes, its still a great system but its stuff like this that do annoy me when a major hardware company gives linux the middle finger.

That's a shame. I couldn't find any working solutions either (Some people reported it working while myself and others could not get those solutions to work).
I just ordered a new audio card (Asus Xonar DG) that is supposed to work with Linux with a little bit of tweaking. It's about $30 cheaper than what I picked the Soundblaster up for. I'll just wind up using the new one and swap out the old one into one of the Windows systems.
Thank you for taking the time to research and reply. :)

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,971 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:32 PM

Yeah I mean I know it sucks but still linux is stool a good system.

Only a small amount of hardware doesnt work with it.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users