Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fried PCI-E Slots?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Elliotpiano

Elliotpiano

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 09:39 PM

I am totally stumped. I bought a GTX 660 Ti off hardwareswap and was in the process of running heaven and following the overclocking guide. All of the sudden it powered off and when you powered it on only the gpu fans would spin and the integrated displays would work only when IGD is default in bios or card is removed. Fast forward to buying a new RX550 with the purpose of testing with it since I don't have an extra computer. The fans still spin up but still doesn't display on either PCI-e slot, only integrated graphics. I find it hard to believe that I fried both slots. I have a MSI Z77MA-G45 mobo, Corsair CX450 PSU, Windows 10, tried resetting cmos, and changing default video in bios.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 11:31 AM

A close inspection of the MOBO and the power strip traces from the PS connector to the plugin slots may reveal a burn spot that opened the circuit.  Check the underside too and look for any plate thru holes (a connection from one side of the board to the other)  that may be involved in the circuit path.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 12:56 PM

Computer will not boot into Safe Mode either?

Edited by dc3, 31 October 2017 - 12:56 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Elliotpiano

Elliotpiano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 05:30 PM

I inspected the slot and the underside and could not see any scorch marks. I am able to boot into safe mode but it does not recognize the card. The thing that puzzles me is that a card that requires two 6 pin power connectors won't spin its fans but a card that runs just off the motherboard spins fine. Is there possibly a problem with the card not getting enough power from the psu?

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:26 PM

two 6 pin power connectors won't spin its fans but a card that runs just off the motherboard spins fine

Have you run a diagnostic check on the power supply?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2017 - 09:15 AM

I inspected the slot and the underside and could not see any scorch marks. I am able to boot into safe mode but it does not recognize the card. The thing that puzzles me is that a card that requires two 6 pin power connectors won't spin its fans but a card that runs just off the motherboard spins fine. Is there possibly a problem with the card not getting enough power from the psu? 

A six pin connector produces +12VDC, this card requires two of these six pin connectors.  The card also draws voltage from the PCI-E bus.  A integrated graphics chip draws its power from the power provided by the motherboard only.

What is the make and model of your PSU?

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy-v131.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

If you would like to test the rail voltages you could use either a PSU tester (Walmart has a decent tester for sale at $6.59), or you could use a Voltmeter to read the three main positive voltage rails +12VDC, +5VDC, +3.3VDC.  If you have a Voltmeter and know how to use it you can get the more accurate readings  using the Voltmeter.  Most PSUs still include a couple of Molex connectors which carries all three main positive voltages which makes it easy to read these Voltages.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:26 AM

If you are willing to pay more, Here is the Apevia that gives you individual voltage readouts. I have used mine for years and it has saved me many a headache when a bad PS is the problem. Sometimes an individual power line will not entirely fail, but will fluctuate if the capacitor in that line starts to go bad. Very difficult to diagnose unless you can actually see the voltage reading, as opposed to an individual light that really only indicates continuity. Either way, a dedicated tester will help you a lot.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 Elliotpiano

Elliotpiano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:08 AM

Works fine with other power supply, glad the motherboard wasn't damaged. Will be RMAing the faulty psu under warranty.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:13 AM

Glad you were able to get this sorted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users