Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Incomplete view of PDF's in OneDrive Offline Folder

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 six-h

six-h

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 09:08 PM

I made the mistake of asking for help from OneDrive Support on this problem! :deadhorse:

after several email exchanges and screenshots, they seem to be in denial that their precious baby might not be blameless!

I created a PDF of a Recipe on my old Vista machine (583kB) and uploaded it to my OneDrive account.

accessing it is just fine using Firefox ESR, it displays all, ...Text and picture of the "Dish".

Accessing the same file on my Win 10 machine via the Offline folder, I can view it either in "Edge" browser or via "PDF Reader", either way, the file only displays the picture, no text.

The alternative is to access the online OneDrive site and navigate to the same file there, ...and it displays just fine in "Edge". download a fresh copy to the offline Folder and try to view it in Edge or PDF Viewer, ...no text again!

OneDrive Support asked me to view it using IE9, Via the online site and of course, it displays fine there as well.

I then made the mistake of adding IE9 to the context menu list of "Open With" options, selecting that however didn't open the file immediately but opened a generic warning about files from other computers and proceeded to open it in Edge!!...not what I wanted, so I tried to remove IE9 from the context menu options.

I seem to recall that to do this in Vista you just hovered the pointer over the offending item and pressed "Delete" on the Keyboard, ...doesn't work in Win 10.

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of the blessed IE9 which I've added to the "Open With" options?? :rolleyes:  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 10:40 AM

Have you tried downloading and running IE12?  If you can install this it should supersede IE9.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 11:11 AM

Hi Bleeping Tree Hugger, sorry for the error, I mistakenly referred to the version of IE as "9" the currently installed version on my machine is in fact "IE11", so no need yet to manually install "IE12".

My point is that OneDrive Support have just ignored the fact that the Offline Folder seems to be corrupting this file so that any attempt to view it from that source results in a seeing just the picture on an otherwise blank page.

The fact that the Online version displays perfectly in "Edge" rather obviates the need to view it in any iteration of IE and does nothing to help me solve the problem!

They have replied again today saying this

Opening file in windows 10 via different options: offline, PDF viewer and online via edge browser, definitely would give you different results however if you wish to see the text with the image you have to open the image by below mentioned steps:

In other words they are saying it is not possible to view a complete PDF using the Offline folder!!! :scratchhead: 

One might ask what is the use of this folder if it cannot be relied upon to show a true view of the files held within, ...it's just taking up realestate which could be put to productive use.

Any ideas on a way to remove "Internet Explorer"  from the "Open With" options that I seem to have permanently added to the context menu? 

#4 dmccoyks

dmccoyks

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:11 PM

This might be helpful

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/remove-click-context-menu-items-editors

#5 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:10 AM

Thanks dmccoyks, found that but don't fancy Reg edting, nor do I trust freeware to do it!

​Can't believe these additions can be made so casually, but take major brain surgery to remove!

​I hoped they could be removed as easily as they were added. :( 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users