Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore did not complete successfully (0x80070005)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 bativoup

bativoup

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:28 PM

Hello everyone, 

When starting, my computer shoes a message error "System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed." It's running on windows 7. By going over the internet, I got the idea that it has something to do with the anti-virus blocking the startup. Apparently I need to unable it. However, I don't know how to do it with a command line (cannot access the desktop). Does anyone knows how to do so?

Thank you for your help

Edited by bativoup, 30 October 2017 - 08:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:28 AM

sometimes you just need to select a different day's restore point.  they don't always work, sometimes i have to try 2 or 3 before i get a successful restore.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:49 AM

Hello everyone, 

When starting, my computer shoes a message error "System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed." It's running on windows 7. By going over the internet, I got the idea that it has something to do with the anti-virus blocking the startup. Apparently I need to unable it. However, I don't know how to do it with a command line (cannot access the desktop). Does anyone knows how to do so?

Thank you for your help

If you can not access the desktop how are you navigating in Windows and getting online?

What antivirus are you running?  There are some antivirus applications which can create problem in certain instances.  In these cases you may need to disable your antivirus in order to get a application to run.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 bativoup

bativoup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2017 - 11:38 AM

sometimes you just need to select a different day's restore point.  they don't always work, sometimes i have to try 2 or 3 before i get a successful restore.

Thanks for the answer. I have tried already three times and it's still not working.

#5 bativoup

bativoup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2017 - 11:51 AM

If you can not access the desktop how are you navigating in Windows and getting online?

What antivirus are you running?  There are some antivirus applications which can create problem in certain instances.  In these cases you may need to disable your antivirus in order to get a application to run.

Hi dc3, I am connected to internet with another computer. 

The antivirus is called Avira. And I think I started a major update while it was scanning the system. Maybe this lead to the error.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2017 - 11:58 AM

I take it that you cannot boot into Windows?

Do you have the installation media for this version of Windows 7?

Can you boot into the BIOS?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 bativoup

bativoup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:14 PM

You are right, I cannot boot the computer into windows and cannot get the installation media. 

The BIOS is working.

I can also access the repair setup and open the command lines.

Do you think I can use the BIOS to deactivate the antivirus?

Edited by hamluis, 03 November 2017 - 10:01 AM.
Merged posts - Hamluis.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:53 AM

What is the make and model of this computer?

If this is a custom build please post the make and model of the motherboard.

I am going to provide you with instruction to download the needed Windows 7 SP1 installation media.  Once you have created the installation media you will need to change the boot order so that the DVD or flash drive (depending on which blank media you use) and the hhd/ssd is the second device in the boot order.  With this media you will be able to access the System Recovery Option and run the Startup Repair from the installation media.

At this point I need to know if this is a OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) or a custom build. 

If this is a custom build you would have used a retail (purchased installation media) to install Windows.  If this is the case you can download the installation media from Microsoft.  If this is a OEM computer you will have to download the installation media from a non-Microsoft source.  You will need to provide me with this information before I can provided you with the needed instructions.  

Edited to add important information:  Which ever type of media (OEM or Retail) you will need the 25 alphanumerical character product code.  This should be found on the case of a OEM computer, it should be either on the case of the installation media or on the installation disc itself.

Edited by dc3, 03 November 2017 - 09:03 AM.

#9 Insert Real Name

Insert Real Name

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:09 PM

I ran into a similar problem a few weeks ago: System restore was just not working, the system was backing out of the restore every time the machine was rebooted. I tried disabling all the anti-virus protection components, but still no luck.

I solved the problem eventually by using msconfig.exe to change the system's boot configuration to "Safe Boot" (second tab on msconfig.exe), rebooted into safe mode, and started System Restore from that system configuration. I let the System Restore reboot into safe mode to conclude successfully the system restore process, and then used msconfig.exe to change the system configuration back to normal (i.e. removed the tick mark from "Safe Boot" on the second tab).

Hope this works for you, it allows System Restore to work without having to disable the anti-virus (most don't load any drivers or programs if the system is in safe mode).

#10 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:54 AM

Errors that end with 0005 (like 0x80070005) are always access denied/permissions/rights kinds of things.

It goes back to the old DOS days...

Errors that end with 0002 are file not found.

Errors that end with 0003 are path/directory not found, etc.

The problem with 0x80070005 kinds of errors is usually your anti programs are protecting your system from changes so you can sometimes figure out how to disable them temporarily (sometimes not).

Back in the XP days the Microsoft page describing System Restore and what to do when it failed the first suggested  things to do was to boot in Safe Mode and then run System Restore which often worked since the anti programs are usually not going to be loaded in Safe Mode.

That still holds true today when you see 0x80070005...  on System Restore, Windows Update, or other places.

0x80070005 = access denied (then you have to figure out what is preventing the change or update).

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#11 bativoup

bativoup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:10 PM

I take it that you cannot boot into Windows?

Do you have the installation media for this version of Windows 7?

Can you boot into the BIOS?

Hi dc3, sorry for this late answer, I finally got the installation media of the computer. Do you know how to start the repair? 

#12 bativoup

bativoup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:57 PM

I ran into a similar problem a few weeks ago: System restore was just not working, the system was backing out of the restore every time the machine was rebooted. I tried disabling all the anti-virus protection components, but still no luck.

I solved the problem eventually by using msconfig.exe to change the system's boot configuration to "Safe Boot" (second tab on msconfig.exe), rebooted into safe mode, and started System Restore from that system configuration. I let the System Restore reboot into safe mode to conclude successfully the system restore process, and then used msconfig.exe to change the system configuration back to normal (i.e. removed the tick mark from "Safe Boot" on the second tab).

Hope this works for you, it allows System Restore to work without having to disable the anti-virus (most don't load any drivers or programs if the system is in safe mode).

Hello Insert Real Name and thank you for your answer. I think this can effectively help me. However I have no idea how to proceed to open msconfig.exe. Can you give me some details about the procedure ? 

Thank you

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:09 PM

Once you're in Windows, left click Start, type msconfig in the Search Programs / run box.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:11 PM

msconfig is System Configuration.  You can do the following to open msconfig.

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the R key to open the Run box.

When Run box opens type in msconfig, then click/tap OK.

When System Configuration opens click/tap the Boot tab.

Under Boot options click/tap on Safe boot, then click/tap on Apply, then OK.

The next time you start the computer it will boot into Safe Mode.

Please note.  You computer will continue to boot into Safe Mode when it is started until you go back to System Configuration and remove the check in Safe boot.

#15 bativoup

bativoup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:51 PM

The problem is that I don't have access to the desktop because windows is not starting. 

Edited by hamluis, 06 December 2017 - 09:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users