Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dwm.exe

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Campo1988

Campo1988

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 05:04 PM

Hello.

I was using Firefox to upload a youtube video, but then realised I needed to do something else first, so I cancelled it quickly. All my Firefox windows decided to "not respond". I went into task manager and had a look, and I saw under Firefox.exe was dwm.exe. I read a very brief description what was in task manager about the parent and child threads regarding wait chains ('Analyse wait chain'), and I decided to kill dwm.exe. I thought dwm.exe might have been DrWatson (DrWatson.exe or DrWatson32.exe), so I wasn't certain about killing it. After I did, my entire screen flashed slowly once, and everything seemed to be working fine again. The flashing screen might have been due to the fact I had a full-screen game open which uses a different screen resolution.

I would like to know what might have been using dwm.exe 'under' Firefox.exe, and why it didn't complete its usage/task, causing Firefox to freeze after I used Youtube's X (not the browser window/tab) to cancel the upload.

Thanks.

Edited by Campo1988, 30 October 2017 - 05:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 05:25 PM

DWM.exe is the Desktop Windows Management service which handles multiple tabs, high resolution screens, and other critical aspects.  It would be logical that Windows had a nervous breakdown when you cancelled your upload in the middle of the process and had a game holding at the same time, double-especially if the game was running high resolution. Just reboot and everything should return to normal.

I would be kind of careful about that in the future; Microsoft has engineered Windows to be excellent at recovering from a sudden interruption, but if you push the envelope too far you could get a corrupted OS. Back in the day of Windows 98 and XP, something like that could have crashed the whole system.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me but no guarantee I will respond.

#3 Campo1988

Campo1988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 06:04 PM

Thanks. I much prefer XP. Someone should do an open-source take on it (with different names, of course), because that was a decent OS. Contrarily, I can't believe someone is defending Microsoft/Windows! That makes me lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users