Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP Failed dual-boot Ubuntu installation possibly deleted Windows

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 eduniga

eduniga

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 01:13 PM

Please help, I was trying to install ubuntu alongside windows 10 on my custom desktop. During installation I chose the "install ubuntu alongside windows 10 option". The next option was to select drive and allocate drive space. I chose the were Windows 10 was installed, and distributed the disk space equally for both windows and ubuntu. Later, I pressed continue, it started to process and it gave me a fail message which I can't remember which one. Later, it was late at night so I decided to try installation next day. Next day I booted my pc and windows was gone from the boot manager. This seemed strange as I never got to commence ubuntu installation, I assumed my boot manager was broken. I tried repair my pc option, I tried command prompts that can fix the boot manager that I found searching online, nothing fixed it. I took my pc to a repair shop and they told me my windows partition was deleted. This seemed so strange, how can I have deleted my windows partition if I never fully installed Ubuntu in the first place? I don't have Ubuntu installed on my computer. I chose the "install ubuntu alongside Windows" option which permits dual-boot. Did I actually deleted it and I have to reinstall it? What can I do? Please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 10,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:18 PM

Hi

Welcome to bleeping Computer, Lets see if we can sort this out for you.

The PC shop may be right.

Can you boot the PC from the Linux CD and run this command in terminal please

lsblk 

Then paste the output here, This will tell us whats going on with the partitions.

Regards

Nick.

Edited by NickAu, 30 October 2017 - 10:25 PM.
typo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users