Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help setting up my first ever network.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 frost1977

frost1977

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 12:53 PM

where to start....

I have fiber optic dsl, I have a wire that comes from the phone box into the study with and ether net port in the wall. I can direct connect with an Ether net cable from the wall to the desktop that is in the study. I connect the wall port to what I call a splitter box,  just a netgear box with 4 Ethernet ports in it, I use that to connect to the study PC and a powerline adapter too get wired internet into a bedroom with a desktop works great most of the time, sometimes one or the other computer will not have internet

I get the little caution yield sign,   not the red X like I get if I unplug a cable.

the only thing in the house that actually needs wifi is my ps3 (I still carry a flip phone)

but I thought it would be nice to have for that and if I ever get a laptop or something

I replaced the splitter with a Belkin ac700 router,  with  both computers still using Ethernet cables plugged into the router  but I had no connection the yellow yield sign on both computers and no kind of pop up or anything that would let me connect or configure anything?

if it is not plug and play it is beyond me on what to do on hooking something like this up?

I don't know what to click on or what I am looking at when I open up network settings or any of that kind of thing

anyone able to help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:33 PM

The "splitter box" sound like a switch.

If you're using multiple devices you probably needed the router.

I'd suggest powering everything down and then power up everything starting with where the fiber comes in and then going to the router, then once the router is up you should be able to power up your devices.  If that doesn't do it, you may need to configure the router to connect to the DSL with a user name and password and you will need to contact your ISP or look at their on line support for how to do it.

#3 frost1977

frost1977
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 04:18 PM

there was no way to configure the router the nothing opened up on the study computer,  and the way I hooked everything up was shutting every thing down, the spot where the fiber comes in cannot be shut down as it is just an Ethernet port in the wall with a wire that runs into the Main phone box outside the house,   I plugged all the Ethernet cables into the router then plugged in the router waited on the blue light to be steady then powered up the computer

when it comes to the software  network and internet settings and all that I really don't know what I am doing.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 02:49 PM

I think you're going to need to call your ISP for assistance.  If there is no ISP equipment to reset, I'm at a loss as that is normally the issue, the ISP gives you one IP address and you have to reset your equipment in order to connect another device.  So, if you have a PC connected and working and then want to add a router to add more devices the router won't work until the ISP equipment is reset.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users