Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Procedure to install SSD in HP laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 councillor

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 12:43 PM

Can I upgrade HP laptop with win 10 to a SSD drive (as this is a hardware change) without purchase win 10 ?

Edited by councillor, 30 October 2017 - 07:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

• Members
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:33 AM

I  have done it with a desktop and a HDD. Had to go through the verification process with MS to get the OS activated again. Have not had the problem with W 10 [yet]

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 xrobwx

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:53 AM

I did this just last week on my Boss's laptop. I had no issues in Windows 10. I did not have to purchase a license. I did have a Microsoft account attached to the license though.

#4 britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,535 posts
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:28 AM

If a computer has been legally licensed with Windows 10 at any time in the past you can swap out virtually any and every piece of hardware you like except the motherboard without any issues.  Windows 10 licenses are kept on Microsoft's servers and are linked to a given machine via the motherboard (I'd presume using a serial number and/or similar).

Windows 10 is the first generation of Windows to do this (I don't think Windows 8.1 does, but I might be mistaken) making it about as simple as possible to do hardware upgrades of all kinds, but particularly hard drive upgrades.

If you are using a Microsoft Account linked Windows 10 user account that is the same as the one that you were using on the original hard drive, and you'd installed Microsoft software like Office, etc., all the licenses for those products should be stored in your Microsoft Account.  This makes it simple to download them and reinstall them, too, though sometimes you do have to contact Microsoft to get your key reset on the server so that "single install on single machine" licenses will work again.  There are procedures in place to allow this for hardware upgrades.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#5 cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,590 posts
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:26 PM

I cloned my Windows 10 on my desktop from the original HDD to a new SSD using Macrium Reflect Free.

Swapped drives and everything was a go: upon completion, I did have to enable AHCI.

In my case the size of each drive were the same.

If you want to consider that, post back if the size of each drive is different.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users