Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Realtek Driver Issue

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 NandoB

NandoB

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:49 AM

Hello all.

I work at an organization where a lot of audio recording is done. We use Lenovo systems of varying types, There are several models of ThinkPad, ThinkStation and ThinkCentres in use. The issue I'm starting to run into is that the vast majority of these systems use Realtek drivers. The requirement here is that both playback and recording be set to 2 Channel 16bit 44100Hz but what I've started to see as new systems come in is that I have the ability to set that  for Playback but recording no longer allows me the ability to change it. It's set at 2 Channel 16bit 48000HZ and is grayed out. There's no way to choose another setting.

Some of the newer ThinkPad models we have (T460p and T470p) have drivers that allow the change. But our ThinkStation and ThinkCentre models do not. I can get around the ThinkStation issue by adding an audio card to it but I'd rather not have to do that. The ThinkCentres are harder because the models we have are either small form factors so I need low profile audio cards or the new compact models like the M900 Tiny so we can't add internal components. 

The other issue that goes along with this is that for the ThinkStation and ThinkCentre models, We use the StereoMix option. I've only been able to find one sound card (Creative Audicy RX) that has the "Record What U Hear" ability and I can't find anything low profile for the smaller form factors.

In the past we got around this by actually using an older Realtek driver but at this point that driver is nearing 4 years old and that just isn't a sustainable approach. And different models take different versions of Realtek drivers so what's an approved driver for the T470p is not listed as approved for the ThinkStation or ThinkCentre. 

I am unable to get anything from Realtek support. There only support option is email and I've emailed them a couple of times over the last year and have never gotten a response. I've reached out to Lenovo but they are unable to assist as they refer me to Realtek even though they themselves have also tried to contact them with no response.

Has anyone run into this issue with setting recording default format? Does anyone have any suggestions? Any good recommendations for sound cards (full and low profile) that can do the stereo mix option? Has anyone ever been able to speak to Realtek support and if so how did you reach them?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 09:20 AM

Installing the latest R2.82 Realtek HD audio driver does not let you change the sample rate to 44100 Hz? If that is the case then it could be chipset limitation.Most all modern computers with the Realtek chipset use Realtek's HD audio driver and I am only familiar with Realtek having only one HD audio driver. 

In regards to Stereo Mix, I have not personally used the program but VB-Audio Virtual cable allows recording to other programs virtually.

http://www.freezenet.ca/guides/filesharing-and-distribution/how-to-bypass-stereo-mix-to-record-streaming-audio-vb-audio/

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/19005.aspx

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 October 2017 - 09:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users