Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which piece of hardware is failing?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LCC1156

LCC1156

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:40 AM

Hey guys,

Got a bit of a weird situation that I can't find anyone else experiencing with searches online.

I have an Alienware 17 r3 laptop with all its default hardware, but it's all out of warranty. The issue is I experience BSOD 100% of the time within 1-3 minutes of startup, except when I am gaming. So if I boot up and try to open a document, browse the web, run a normal application etc, it BSODs. No error code, just a blank screen of black/blue/grey/white/pink. If I start up and before it crashes can launch Fallout 4, Skyrim, Dota 2, etc then I can play for 11-12 hours with no problems at all. Which is odd. Because most of my games are very hardware intense, and I play on max settings.

I paid a laptop repair company to totally take it apart, clean everything and put it back together, and then format it so it is factory fresh. They have done that. I got it back today, booted it up all sexy and new, went to open windows explorer to download Steam, Chrome etc and it BSODs.

Bugger!

So if it's not software or dirt, it must be hardware. But surely a dying gfx card or cpu would crash ingame too? Any ideas what is so I can have it replaced/repaired? I ran a startup scanner that's part of the Alienware system and it said the battery is dying - could that be the bad bit?

It works fine in Safe Mode with Networking, though, so not sure if it is the battery. Confusing!

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 09:17 AM

1) Just to clarify terminology, a BSOD is a very specific type of crash that presents a blue screen with an error message (or, if you haven't disabled the option, causes the system to reboot). It does not sound like you are describing a bsod.

2) The fact that it doesn't happen in Safe Mode would seem to point to software, not hardware.

Please open Device Manager - are there any yellow or red symbols?

Please run a full scan with BOTH your installed AV and with MalwareBytes (I don't think it's an infection, but let's check anyway). Please run the scans before responding to this post.

Last, depending on what you see in device manager we will probably want to do a selective startup. But before we go there I'll wait for your response.

#3 LCC1156

LCC1156
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 09:21 AM

Thank you for your reply. I will have access to the laptop again tomorrow so will update then :)

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:48 AM

I'm with Allan, sounds more like a driver issue.  I don't know if Dell treats the Alienware line the same as the rest of their machines, but if you have a Dell Service Tag on the machine you can go to Dell Support and get the latest drivers.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,163 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:56 AM

Could be a failing hard drive too, dont know if you ran a SMART test with your HDD

Here is a nice tool to scan your HDD to see if its on the verge of a failure:

https://crystalmark.info/?lang=en

https://www.howtogeek.com/134735/how-to-see-if-your-hard-drive-is-dying/

Crystal disk info my have a funny anime theme but its done by a Japanese software coder.

its actually a good piece of software.

Edited by MadmanRB, 30 October 2017 - 10:56 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:01 AM

Let's not update any drivers at this point. And yes, the HD will be checked as we proceed through the troubleshooting process.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:24 AM

Since this problem isn't occurring in Safe Mode I would suggest performing a Clean Boot to see if there is a third party service causing this problem.

How to perform a Clean Boot in Windows 7

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

1.  Click on the Start orb, then type msconfig.exe in the Search programs and files box.  

2.  When msconfig is seen in the pane above the search box and under Programs, right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation.

3.  Click on the General tab.   

4.  Click the Selective startup option.

5.  Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box.

6.Click on the Services tab.

7.  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running.

8.  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list.

clean-boot-1.png

9.  Click on Hide all Microsoft services.  Click on Apply then OK  

clean-boot2.png

Click on Restart in the window that opens.

When the computer is restarted it will boot normally.  

Let me know if the problem persists after restarting the computer.

If the problem does not continue after the restart please do the following.

10.  Divide the number of these services by two and you place checks in the first half of these, then restart
the computer.

11.  If the problem doesn't return in those services remove the checks and place checks in the remaining
services.

12.  When you find which half the service is in go on to the next step.  

13.  In the half that the problem came back in you should remove the checks from the first half or the
services.

14.  Restart the computer.  If it isn't in the first half of these services, do the same with the last half of the
services.

15.  Once you have narrowed it down to the last three or four services remove the checks one at a time till
you find the service at fault.

Once you have found the service post it in your topic.  Do not take any action until I suggest the next step.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:27 AM

As I said in my first post, the next step will be a selective startup. I'd like to hear about device manager first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users