Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange ticking/ticking noise coming from HDD

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 AshPrime

AshPrime

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 03:21 AM

So ive had this this ticking problem before with my old HDD so thats the reason i bought a new one and the problem is still there. When that happens (only when playing games) the game freezes for about 10-20 seconds and just continues but sometimes i also get BSOD with error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT. Ive been trying to find a solution to this but still no avail. Checked the HDD and its health is at 100%, ran multiple memtests and no errors found.
My specs are
Cpu: fx 6300
Gpu: rx480
Ram: kingston ddr3 1600mhz 8gb
Hdd: toshiba mq01abd100
Psu: 900w hantol 720 real power
Mobo: gigabyte 970a-ds3p
Please help me

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 AshPrime

AshPrime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 04:28 AM

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0Xb2kQytJSh
Ive managed to record it. After this i got a bsod with memory_management and after it restarted it was normal again but its still there while im playing.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 24,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 04:48 AM

Sounds to me like a CD/ DVD drive rather than the hard drive.

Try disconnecting the power to the CD/DVD drive and see if that stops it (use good anti-static precautions when inside the case)

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)
FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.

If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.
If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 AshPrime

AshPrime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 04:51 AM

I dont have a cd/dvd drive so that cant be it.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 24,708 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 05:41 AM

How about a fan?  Check to see if there's any wires or other items close to the fans.

Beyond that, maybe the folks over in the Internal Hardware forums may have some suggestions:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)
FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.

If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.
If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 AshPrime

AshPrime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 05:56 AM

Im pretty sure the sound is coming from the hard drive and fans are pretty clear.

#7 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 410 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:56 AM

From what I can tell that Hantol power supply is of very low quality. That could be the cause of all your isues

#8 AshPrime

AshPrime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:00 AM

I thought the same thing that the psu is causing the problem. Well it was my first build after all but ill be more aware next time. Still i wish i had another one just to test it out..

#9 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 410 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:14 AM

Their PFC's are made of concrete...

https://www.hardocp.com/news/2012/04/18/hantol_psu_contain_fake_pfc_made_cement

#10 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 410 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:22 AM

Seasonic makes very good quality power supply's, get one of those. I don't know where your from but Newegg has the 520w Seasonic psu's for $45.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094

Edited by Joe C, 30 October 2017 - 08:23 AM.

#11 AshPrime

AshPrime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:39 AM

Oh shoot nice find on the concrete thing.... Ill make sure never to buy that again. Im from Germany btw and im not planning to buy a low wattage psu cause i wanna upgrade the mobo cpu and ram soon so its gonna be a waste of money ill jist struggle for a bit longer with this one. Thanks for the recommendation tho.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:07 AM

A failing hdd will make a clicking sound known as "the click of death".  I realize that this is a new build, but hdds have failed straight out of the box.  I would suggest running a scan with SeaTools for Windows to determine if there is a problem.

Please download and run SeaTools for Windows

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installation of SeatTools for Windows begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

Cn0u1vP.png

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.  This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3.  You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options.  Please click on Long Generic Test

4.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

5.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

irtNzsc.png

6.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

Regarding the PSU, a PSU doesn't make a clicking sound, I don't believe this noise is related to it.  I feel that I should emphasis the fact that the PSU is the heart of your computer and should never be skimped on its purchase.  As for Seasonic PSUs, manufacturers of PSUs will usually manufacturer their high end products, but will subcontract their lower line out to other manufacturers.  You will find some useful information on the manufacturing of PSUs here.   If you wish to know who has manufactured a PSU you are interested in google the model with " manufacturer of  (make and model of PSU).

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,566 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:39 AM

It sure sounds like a HDD click of death. I would also check your HDD temps during game play. 

https://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/hwmonitor_1.33.zip

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users