Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newbie with questions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Domino1984

Domino1984

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:39 PM

Can someone please help me. I don't understand what the difference is between Norton Antivirus and Heimdal PRO. I have the option to purchase both of these at a discounted rate since I am a student, but I don't understand if I need both of these or if one is better than the other. Can someone please help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 05:10 AM

Heimdal PRO is anti-malware software while Norton is an anti-virus.

Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats.

In simplistic terms...Anti-virus programs use massive databases with different scanning engines and detection methods to scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots.
Anti-malware programs use smaller databases and generally tend to focus more on adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted programs and potentially unsafe applications.
Anti-virus and Anti-malware solutions with anti-exploitation features protect against zero-day malware, drive-by downloads, exploits, exploit kits and ransomware.
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 06:52 AM

As a novice PC user (bought my first notebook in 2013), I can report that Norton did absolutely nothing to protect me from malware infections during my first year of computing. It's not that I went looking for trouble either as I conduct all my surfing activities on the surface web, although during my first year I did make the mistake of using some shady music file-sharing sites and did look at the occasional illicit and TV streaming websites which likely caused the subsequent malware infections I acquired at that time. But I did expect better from a security suite that claimed nigh-on full protection and a cost to me of some £60 sterling.

In hindsight, I think that there are many over-exuberant sales staff who work in many PC retail outlets who love it when a complete novice comes into their stores to buy their first computer. Many of them will try to load-up your bill with extras like anti-virus as a way of earning themselves extra commission when in fact products that are completely free to download might very well be just as, or more effective. 

It is thanks to information I gleaned and free downloads I acquired here on Bleeping Computer that I was finally able to clean up my computer and keep it protected the way it is now. 

Sure, Norton is probably better than nothing, but what I would say is take your time to explore other options and look at the downloads available on this website before you have some greedy sales staff convincing you that you NEED to buy extra products that they might tell you that you can't do without.

Edited by robby501, 30 October 2017 - 07:18 AM.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

#4 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:30 AM

Hi, Domino1984!

You need both Norton AntiVirus and Heimdal PRO, because, as different security programs, these have different features as it relates to protection against malware.

As already noted by quietman7, these are Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware programs respectively, and are as such not comparable in terms of quality, that is stating if one is better than the other; In fact they complement each other.

However, as for whether or not Norton and Heimdal are the best in their respective categories, is probably a discussion for another topic.

For other choices pertaining to Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware, you may want to read quietman7's topics Choosing an Anti-Virus Program and Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools.

These include recommendations as well.

Good luck! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 31 October 2017 - 10:10 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, SWB, WPP, HMP.A with CryptoGuard, CryptoPrevent Free, MB Free, SIRI? and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with µBO, Ghostery, HTTPS Ew and VTzilla. Acronis TI 2017, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 22 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users