Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer very slow

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dialout

dialout

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:12 PM

help. I still use XP on my old laptop and desktop...this laptop is my kids and she is running windows 10. It is now running very slow and I have no idea what to do with it.  I managed to find the defrag tool and ran it, but that's about it. As I type the letters show up one at a time very slowly. Web searches take forever. She is trying to cut and past on a homework essay and it is taking forever for it to show up. I just simply am out of my wheelhouse. I am pretty sure its just a maintenance issue, but I don't know what to do on this thing. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 04:26 AM

Scan your computer for malware infections you can use MalwareBytes to scan your computer. If there is malware infection ask for a help at Am I infected? What do I do?forum.

Follow my instructions at below tutorial link to boost speed of Windows OS.

Tweaking & Optimizing Windows
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/617106/tweaking-optimizing-windows/

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:16 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy1.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download AdwCleaner and install it.

When AdwCleaner opens click on Scan to start the scan.

ZQk62WV.png

Once the search is complete a list of the pending items will be displayed.  If you see any which you do not want removed, remove the check mark next to it.

If there are no malicious programs are found you will receive a message informing you of this.  

Click on Clean to remove the selected items.  If you have any questions about any items in the list please copy and paste the list in your topic so we can review it.  

CsqnoTW.png

You will receive a message telling you that all programs will be closed so that the infections can be removed.  Click on OK.  The computer will be restarted to complete the cleaning process.

When the cleaning process is complete a log of what was removed will be presented.  Please copy and the paste this log in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 dialout

dialout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:06 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/sBXiQmkg8CFC2Va5Ln2CgeJ

#5 dialout

dialout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:43 AM

there was 1 unwanted program it picked up, but adwcleaner hung while deleting it. i restarted the program and reran it. and apparently, it got it deleted. here is a clean log

# AdwCleaner 7.0.4.0 - Logfile created on Wed Nov 08 15:01:51 2017
# Updated on 2017/27/10 by Malwarebytes 
# Database: 11-07-2017.2
# Running on Windows 10 Pro (X64)
# Mode: scan

***** [ Services ] *****

No malicious services found.

***** [ Folders ] *****

No malicious folders found.

***** [ Files ] *****

No malicious files found.

***** [ DLL ] *****

No malicious DLLs found.

***** [ WMI ] *****

No malicious WMI found.

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

No malicious shortcuts found.

***** [ Tasks ] *****

No malicious tasks found.

***** [ Registry ] *****

No malicious registry entries found.

***** [ Firefox (and derivatives) ] *****

No malicious Firefox entries.

***** [ Chromium (and derivatives) ] *****

No malicious Chromium entries.

C:/AdwCleaner/AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [944 B] - [2017/11/8 14:41:49]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S1].txt ##########

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:50 AM

The Speccy doesn't indicate any problems, and the AdwCleaner didn't really find anything of significance.  The temperatures are good, the hdd looks good.  The maximum amount of RAM the motherboard will support in this computer is what is currently installed.

Please run System File Checker.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Important:  There will be a short message at the end of the scan informing you of the results.  If you receive the message "no integrity violations were found" you don't need to do anything else, no corrupt files were found.  You should watch the scan to see the results at the end of the scan.

This needs to be run using an Administrator account.  

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the R key to open the Run box.

Type cmd in the Run box, press the following keys together to run the Command Prompt as an administrator.

Shift, Ctrl, Enter

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

sfc /scannow

This scan will take a while to run, please do not abort the scan as this can result in damage to the operating system.

If integrity issues are found in the scan please post the CBS log using the instructions below.

To find sfc /scannow log click/tap on File Explorer, select the drive which Windows is installed on (this usually is the C: drive), click/tap on Windows, then Logs, then CBS.  If there are more than one log you can identify the log you want by the date and time it was run.  

Copy and paste the log at the host website I've suggested below.

This log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

Edited by dc3, 08 November 2017 - 09:51 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users