Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Edge favorites gone

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 alloneone

alloneone

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 29 October 2017 - 04:06 PM

Hi,

A big lesson learned for not backing my Edge favorites up.  I had forgot to do it for a long while and have lost them all after a Windows 10 reset.  They don't appear to be in the folders where they are suppose to be.  I have downloaded a recovery programme that allows 2GB of free recovery.  Would any one be able to advise me where to look for them? or are they gone forever? the appdata folder seems to be empty of edge favs. I have looked in the Microsoft edge folders but haven't been able to find anything.  It did keep some IE11 favs that I have imported over.

I reckon it is worth a post to see if I can find them as punishment for not backing up :-)  Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 29 October 2017 - 04:51 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

They might still be in your Users folder, worth a look :- File Explorer - 'Computer' - Users - 'Your name' - Favourites.

Another approach, if you have another browser which still has the bookmarks available in it would be to back up those bookmarks to HTML and then import them into Edge from that HTML file. It could have been worse if that is all you have lost, it could have been your family photos or the story of your life in five volumes. There is a reason why some of us keep banging the drum about backing up data. I once wiped out a 500GB disc of data but because its important contents were backed up I didn't suffer too badly. I have really been a believer since then !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 alloneone

alloneone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 05:50 PM

I have checked files users\ favorites but no luck there.  I was wondering if the links might be buried in a file elsewhere deep in the Windows 10 operating system but I am probably being over-optimistic.  I am now looking for a good back up program any recommendations?  Thanks Chris

#4 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 11:03 AM

Hi alloneone, in my interest with your dilemma I searched the net and found that you are not alone suffering your same dilemma with Microsoft Edge favorites being lost or missing in the file directory folder <Although I still have my favorites in the browser, the favorites folder is empty! > As I combed the net, repeatedly It appeared that the bulk of this problem is taking place after MS updates and with what I have read, MS has not found a fix.  Here is the file directory where MS Edge favorites are located <where my folder is empty> I sure hope that yours are there.

C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\Favorites

Addressing your request to backup your MS Edge favorites, I found that this 3rd party application was suggested multiple times.: Manage Edge Favorites:

http://www.emmet-gray.com/Articles/EdgeManage.html

<I have not had the time to install this application to test it out, obviously you can make your own decision to proceed with this application.>

This "mystery" of favorites being lost, or the favorites folder being empty has piqued my interest. <and I want to know why my folder is empty too!> Somehow we'll figure it out, or so I hope.

<Note: if you do find your favorites in the file directory favorites folder, the process to recover them would be next. I came upon a few recommended ways to do this, however I was focusing on how to find the path for favorites and did not keep notes for that process.>

Self Edit to add: I contacted Microsoft directly, the technician I spoke with did not know how to solve the problem and the option suggested to upgrade Win. 10 is not for me. Here is the link to Microsoft support: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/ Follow the prompts and click no at every chance, you will eventually find the option to talk to a person, at that point you can provide your phone number and you'll get a phone call from support. Hopefully you'll get further than I did! Good luck.

Edited by softeyes, 31 October 2017 - 05:35 PM.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:33 PM

There is an old saying 'Once bitten, twice shy.'. Having been bitten by data loss, or at least accidentally wiping 460GB of data off a 500GB drive, it is a subject I now take seriously !

For my data, I copy it to two 2TB external drives which are only connected when I am backing up data. This is a purely manual operation done using Windows/File Explorer. I also have a clone of my C:\ drive. Cloning the drive with the OS on it makes re-installing your OS very easy, and quick, if you ever have a major Windows problem or if a hard drive dies on you. I use Macrium Reflect for cloning and it also works for creating incremental back-ups if you want to go that route. Two other, also free to private user, products which are well thought of are EaseUS ToDo Backup and AOMEI Backupper. I would suggest you look at all three web-sites and then decide which one meets your needs best.

How you have your data organised on your computer will also affect how you do backups. I have never used the 'Documents' folder, I keep almost all my work in a folder called 'Workfile'. The only photos I have in 'Pictures' are my collection of wallpapers, all my photos are in a folder called 'Photos' on a second drive in my desktop and all my music files are in a folder called 'Music' on the same drive. Nobody can accuse me of coming up with original folder names but it does make copying my workfile in particular easy.

At the end of the day, how you do backups is up to you, what value you place on different types of data and also how much you have.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:51 PM

I find this whole problem quite antiquated. I use Firefox and Chrome and all of my user favorites and passwords are stored in the cloud by both of these web browsers so I naturally assumed that Edge would use the same sync technology as the other major web browsers.

Oh well, another strike against Edge.

https://thehackernews.com/2017/10/microsoft-edge-crashes.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheHackersNews+%28The+Hackers+News+-+Security+Blog%29&_m=3n.009a.1613.zn0ao0ax2l.z0s

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:00 PM

I have my Windows 10 linked to my Microsoft account and all of passwords and favorites and bookmarks load automatically every time I do a clean install on a new computer or log onto any synced computer in the family.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users