Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High temperature mystery

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ChicagoMel

ChicagoMel

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 29 October 2017 - 02:15 PM

I noticed these temps after downloading Speccy.. My laptop keyboard is warm to the touch. The temps sustain at about 113 to 116 F on the motherboard and cpu but spike higher like that  for the motherboard occasionally. It's a five year old Dell Inspiron with i3 processor and Windows 10. I know I have a lot of processes on my task manager...can that make the motherboard and CPU run hot? Should I try disabling some unnecessary processes? And how much do I need to worry since it isn't in the red?

I'm not playing games or anything, it's mostly Chrome and Discord running, with some things like Steam in the background.

I did clean  my vents but can't get the hatch off to check the fan inside...screwdrivers aren't fitting well enough. Should I keep trying to find a driver that will open the hatch and clean the fan?

Ugh not sure where the attachment went. Here's the link.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LGR02cGs6NA1lhPl1

Edited by ChicagoMel, 29 October 2017 - 02:19 PM.

Was using Firefox...until Chrome took over.

One God, One Truth, One Savior-Jesus

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:13 AM

since all your temps are warm then I would suspect a non working fan or a plugged fan vent.

1 make sure you can hear the fan spinning and also feel air moving.

if you can't hear the fan then it's probably bad and needs replaced, if you can hear it but can't feel any air moving at the vent then the vent is plugged.  if it's plugged you can use compressed air in a can, (don't use an air compressor you will destroy the internal fan with it).   see if you can loosen the debris plugging the vent and get air flowing again, but in my opinion it's better to just disassemble the laptop and pull the fan and pull out the big wad of dirt blocking the vents.

and if you're a smoker or have pets you need to pull it apart and clean it because it will be worse then just lint build up.

#3 zeltrax00

zeltrax00

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:22 AM

I think your CPU runned with high speed all the time. You should check Control Panel -> Power Options -> Change plan settings (your current plan) -> Change advance power setting -> Processor and power management

set Minimum Processor State to 5% for both mode. Then reboot.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,299 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:33 AM

Speccy has the tendency to occasionally report false readings of temperature.  I suspect that this may be the case here.  If the computer was developing temperatures this high the computer would be shutting itself down to protect itself.  I would suggest downloading and run Speedfan and compare the temperatures it shows with the Speccy temperatures.

Since you have the Speccy Snapshot please run the scan and post the hyperlink in your topic.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy1.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 ChicagoMel

ChicagoMel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:56 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/serVSyACLl4A3VK341F0otP

I do wonder about the vents. I tried using compressed air and cleaning them and they seem to be clear but I can't get the screw on the fan hatch to open. But I do have two cats that come upstairs, so that's got to affect it. (the dogs dont' come upstairs and are largely nonshedding)

#6 ChicagoMel

ChicagoMel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 03:00 PM

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QXlrAEiilJ5MOiom2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CH2LqvQfEmfFK7mI3

Https://photos.app.goo.gl/9YKMNP1ZfLi11OEK2

That's what it jumps around between.

I've also tried disabling a few things that I don't think need to run in the background.

BTW I forgot to add that I have no battery in at the moment. It needed replacing and I removed it.

I can feel some air in the vents, although it might not be full strength...might have some blocking in front vents, but not horrible. 

If you don't notice anything from whatever you tell me to do and I can't get the stupid screw out, I'll see about taking it to my cousin. He's dealt with building computers, so he probably knows enough about the insides to clean it for me.

Edited by ChicagoMel, 30 October 2017 - 03:13 PM.

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 03:24 PM

120° F is only about 49°C which is not an abnormal temperature. The danger line logs in around 80°C and higher, but the computer would probably auto-reboot or shut down before that. Laptops will tend to run a bit warmer than desktops simply because of the small, cramped space. Check your BIOS to see where the safety shutdown temperature is set at just to check.

DC3's suggestion about using Speedfan is excellent, I would trust that temp readout more than Speccy.

[EDIT]: afterthought: Before prying open the case, I would do a Youtube search for your make & model lap; there may be a video demonstrating how to open the case. If you have never done this before, "tread carefully, stranger". One slip of the screwdriver or forcing can cause damage. Also, remember that the monitor is attached and wired in to the motherboard (unlike a desktop computer, except for the new all-in-one units) so be very careful, and make notes how you go so you can get it back together again. Just a suggestion :cowboy: .

Edited by ranchhand_, 30 October 2017 - 03:31 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me but no guarantee I will respond.

#8 ChicagoMel

ChicagoMel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 03:29 PM

OK, I will. I might still talk to my cousin if I can't find a suitable screwdriver....would still feel better getting that fan hatch open.

Where do I find the info? Is it only available when pressing F1 after reboot?

Edited by ChicagoMel, 30 October 2017 - 03:31 PM.

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 05:15 PM

If you mean the BIOS, you must tap one of the F-keys about 1 once per second when first powering up. Usually F8 will get you into the BIOS screen; if that doesn't work, try F11. You can also try tapping the DELETE key, but that might put you in Safe Mode. If so, just exit out and reboot. In the various menus, it will say something like, "BIOS access", or "SETUP" or some such. You really can't hurt anything trying different F keys, if it isn't something you want just reboot. You can also do a search for your make and model lap on Youtube, and enter something like, "Dell Inspiron (model number here) access BIOS", or some such. Possibly, if you still have the documentation that came with the lap, it might inform you; at least we can hope.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me but no guarantee I will respond.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,299 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 08:57 AM

Speccy usually reports the temperatures in Celsius.  I have to admit to glossing over the temps as the image is so small I had trouble reading the temperature let alone the temperature scale.

If you post the make and model of this computer we can provide you with the specific key you need to tap on to access the BIOS.  Truth be told, I'm not that concerned about the thermal throttling with the temperatures I'm now seeing.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 04:53 PM

Stats for the CPU on the machine under discussion:  http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i3/Intel-Core%20i3%20Mobile%20I3-380M%20CN80617004116AH.html

The maximum operating temperature that's considered to be within normal limits (as this is how the min/max are reported) is 105° C  [221° F] this machine is not anything more than "reasonably warm" and well within the temperature range of normal operation.

By the way, Speccy will report temperatures by default in degrees Celsius and someone must have tweaked it to make it use Fahrenheit.  Since all manufacturers publish their temperature information in degrees Celsius it's much better to have Speccy report this.  Even though I don't have a "gut" feel for anything other than 0° and 100° C, freezing and boiling points of water, it doesn't matter what my gut knows when it comes to comparing against technical spec sheets when I want to determine if something may be amiss.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#12 ChicagoMel

ChicagoMel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:05 AM

OK thanks. And I changed Speccy's settings myself. I see what you mean though.

Edited by ChicagoMel, 07 November 2017 - 02:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users