Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taskbar icons are blank, screen flickers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bcbk19

bcbk19

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:47 AM

Hi everyone! Been having a screen flicker issue relating to taskbar. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Operating System

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz

RAM

16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown (15-15-15-36)

Motherboard

Dell Inc. 0XJ8C4 (SOCKET 0)

Graphics

DELL U2414H (1920x1080@60Hz)

4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 (NVIDIA)

Storage

1863GB Seagate ST2000DM 4 (RAID)

Optical Drives

PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16AES

Audio

NVIDIA High Definition Audio

Description of problem

Starting October 29, upon login, the task bar icons appear blank as seen here: https://imgur.com/a/UvEh6. The icons still work, however they are blank save for microsoft edge. When i hover the mouse pointer over an active/open task bar icon of the program such as this: https://imgur.com/a/nkKtC, my screen flickers. If I hover the mouse pointer long enough, if i'm lucky, i get a notification from windows that my display driver failed to start and revert to using microsoft basic display driver. If i'm unlucky, the whole screen to turn orange and system hangs.

How to recreate the issue

Hover the mouse pointer over task bar icon of an open/active program.

What I've tried so far

1) tried removing and rebuilding icon cache

2) tried using Display Driver Uninstaller and then reinstalling display driver (got hit with a c++ runtime issue when reinstalling newest driver. Somehow got an older version of the driver from that...)

3) Tried system restore before Intel Rapid Storage update (on 10/27). However, after IRS update on 10/27, was able to boot up several times on 10/28 successfully prior to issue.

4) Tried resetting PC with files intact and without. Both reached a problem around 38% or so and could not continue.

I've read online that screen flicker issues on Windows 10 seems to stem from compatibility issues between certain update/software installation and windows. I have not installed anything on 10/28 (that I know of or with my consent), prior to issue occurring today.

Thanks for reading!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 12:15 PM

Does the problem occur when you are using the on-board graphics hardware and software? If not I would suspect that the graphics card has a problem.

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 bcbk19

bcbk19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 05:46 PM

The PC came with an intel integrated card as well as the nvidia GTX 745. After recreating the problem, the GTX 745 would disappear and Microsoft Basic Display Driver would take its place.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:26 AM

Sounds like a conflict. Have you gone into device manager and made sure only one card is enabled?

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users