Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I "Test" my router/modem?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 darpa911911

darpa911911

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:47 AM

Could they be filled with junk?  Might then need "flashed"?  They are older......  Could there be "drivers" for them which need updated?  I have ATT Uverse which have supplied me with Aris equipment.  Is there some type of software I could get to test them out? When I play some games I am having issues with 'game play'.  Everything else on the computer has been tested and appears to be functional - this is my last thought.  How would you (How should I) test the functionality of these things?  The only other problem might be maleware but I posted about that on the 23rd and am still waiting to hear back.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,652 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 29 October 2017 - 03:49 PM

Could they be filled with junk?

Routers are not drives (HDD or SSD) and do not store data as such, so no, they do not collect "junk" in the operating system sense of the term.

Might then need "flashed"?

Flashing the firmware on the old router might be a good idea, but make sure it is available and IF there are any upgrades. Also...will the firmware upgrade benefit you? Same principle as flashing your BIOS on your computer. Yes, you can do it, but will it make the computer run better? Not necessarily. Depends on what is being offered on the upgrade and what your need is. Do your studying first.

software I could get to test them out?

Not to the best of my knowledge. You have to run them and if you have problems, then you troubleshoot from there. Another thing: if these are old routers, you may be doing yourself a disservice in performance and especially security of your system. One thing you will have to decide is if the problems you are having (that you mentioned in your post) are from an infected router with a virus, or that it is just old and not handling the speed and data streams well. Some of these new routers used by gamers are running 5GHz, which does not mean necessarily that they are faster than a 2.4GHz router, but definitely a cleaner signal and other advantages which will help your online gaming.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users