Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think my Computer has gone crazy (Windows 8.1)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 TheRealJustan

TheRealJustan

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 29 October 2017 - 05:10 AM

I never thought I'd be having to reach out for help again....

Well, I've noticed over the past few months that my computer has been getting slower...and slower. So yesterday (10/28/2017), I decided to try to do something about it. I upgraded my MBAM and ran a scan, to see if there was anything on there that was gumming up the memory. I also downloaded RKill and Emsis Anti-Malware from here, just to see if either of them could aid in getting anything that MBAM may have missed. In addition to that, I opened up my task manager and disabled a few things (nothing system-related) that were set to open on boot-up, which may have been eating up precious memory. It seems, that in my efforts to GET RID of something, that I've actually AWOKEN something.

I can no longer activate the Task Manager. It simply tries to load it and gives me a basic error, and offers hitting "Esc" or the "Power Button to shut down/restart" as a solution, should continue having problems. I've never sen that before today...

My designated web browser "Opera" no longer opens, even after three system restarts. So far, it seems Chrome is the only browser I can use. 

Trying to access any type of system function such as a System Restore brings me an error message about "inconsistent attributes".

The icing on the cake is that I can no longer open rkill without the same "inconsistent attributes" message, and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware won't open at all...no error messages, no nothing. It simply begins loading and it stops. Any type of anti-anything software seems to be a no go, other than Emsis. I was only able to run Emsis Anti-Malware, but after the scan and subsequent restart was accomplished, I was back to the same issues, with nothing changed. 

EDIT: Please forgive me for the extremely vague title. I was really frustrated and I didn't realize that I couldn't go back and edit the title of the thread. Anyway, I'd like to share a few more details to add, I'm pretty much unable to run just about anything that ends in ".exe". I just tried open up a few media players to watch a video, and no matter what software it is, it either will not run at all, or it will take several minutes to load and then give me an error message that says

C:\User\Downloads\[software].exe

The extended attributes are inconsistent.

This happens for just about every program, except for Google Chrome. 

I tried to grab a screenshot of one of these error messages, but that requires me to either open up Windows Paint or Snagit to run. Neither which I'm able to do. When I try to run paint, I get the following message:

The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Click OK to close the application.

This is seeming strangely similar to an issue I ran into with Windows 7 a few years ago, but I can't remember any of the details. And anyway, like I said, I'm running Windows 8.1 these days. This computer is used for my work, as well as my schooling. And this isn't looking too good at all. Any suggestions?

Edited by TheRealJustan, 29 October 2017 - 06:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 29 October 2017 - 04:14 PM

Hi Try Running SFC,you may need to use Safe mode with networking.

Please run System File Checker.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Important:  There will be a short message at the end of the scan informing you of the results.  If you receive the message "no integrity violations were found" you don't need to do anything else, no corrupt files were found.  You should watch the scan to see the results at the end of the scan.

You should not do anything else with the computer while this scan is running.  Do not stop the scan as this can damage Windows files.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

This needs to be run using an Administrator account.  

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the R key to open the Run box.

Copy and paste cmd (admin) in the Run box, then click/tap on OK.

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

sfc /scannow

This scan will take a while to run, please do not abort the scan as this can result in damage to the operating system.

If integrity issues are found in the scan please post the CBS log using the instructions below.

To find sfc /scannow log click/tap on File Explorer, select the drive which Windows is installed on (this usually is the C: drive), click/tap on Windows, then Logs, then CBS.  If there
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 TheRealJustan

TheRealJustan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2017 - 04:35 PM

Thank you. I'm running that scan as we speak. Now unfortunately, the end of your post wasn't quite clear. I believe the instructions for posting the CBS.log got cut off. How do I do this?

Edited by TheRealJustan, 29 October 2017 - 04:50 PM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,190 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2017 - 04:49 PM

post log here or if things are good just say so.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 TheRealJustan

TheRealJustan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2017 - 04:52 PM

Okie dokie. I think your instructions for posting CBS.log got cut off. How do I do that? The scan seems to have found something. Just as an fyi, I'm still in Safe Mode with Networking, right now. 

Edited by TheRealJustan, 29 October 2017 - 04:58 PM.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,190 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2017 - 05:04 PM

To find sfc /scannow log click/tap on File Explorer, select the drive which Windows is installed on (this usually is the C: drive), click/tap on Windows, then Logs, then CBS.  If there are more than one log you can identify the log you want by the date and time it was run.

#7 TheRealJustan

TheRealJustan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2017 - 05:08 PM

How do I open this? Do I need to be out of Safe Mode to do it? 

It says

C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

This app can't be activated by the Built-in Administrator

I'm just worried I won't be able to access it outside of Safe Mode, as I'm very limited in what I'm able to run, since this started. 

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,190 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:29 PM

Try these steps,safe mode should be OK
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-photos/apps-not-opening-pop-up-box-says-cant-be-activated/4b00646d-ba49-44e6-bb73-b8298c397bf6?auth=1

#9 TheRealJustan

TheRealJustan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:51 PM

The first step was successful. The second was not. This is what I got:

Windows cannot find 'gpedit.msc'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

I noticed that this said Windows 10 for that specific solution, but I'm using Windows 8.1. Does this matter? I'm not aware which functions are interchangeable between the two. 

EDIT: Oops! I missed a step with the "net administrator /active:no" . I forgot to restart. Let me try that really quickly.

EDIT: Nope, that still didn't work. And I'm still unable to do anything with "gpedit.msc", as I stated above. According to my computer, it does not exist. 

Edited by TheRealJustan, 29 October 2017 - 09:22 PM.

#10 TheRealJustan

TheRealJustan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:27 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty stumped by this issue. I just realized I ran into a similar problem a few years ago. But this one seems worse. I'm not able to do much of anything, besides surf on Chrome. Playing a game or even watching a movie, is next to impossible with whatever is going on here. But any way that this can be resolved, I'm willing to try. 

Edited by TheRealJustan, 29 October 2017 - 11:56 PM.

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,190 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:10 AM

Probably best than to post a new FRST log there and see.

Steps 6 and 7... Please follow this Preparation Guide and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well..

#12 TheRealJustan

TheRealJustan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:44 PM

Ok, I'll do this when I get home.

#13 RSLCS

RSLCS

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:45 PM

Question:  as I had been fighting with Office 365 and Internet explorer with a clients PC

Uninstall the follow windows updates if they are installed- KB4015193-KB4012864 and KB3038936 (As they caused several issues with the Pc) I worked on last couple of days

Do you  still have Emsisoft antivirus running on the Pc in question? 

If so open it up and go to settings and updates, under the updates section select (BETA) for the update feed, force it to run a update , you should be prompted to restart Emsisoft click yes , shut down Pc and restart and try  your various programs.

most of this was fixed with WIN10 machines but I'm finding a few windows 8.1 systems in which after the install  programs no longer work correctly or wont even start.

I have already made Christian and Davlat aware of the issues within an 8.1 environment still existing

Please reply back here and  post results of trying to run  the apps above after you switch to the beta update stream .

This seems to be caused by two issues one the recent Microsoft security update for windows 8.1 and something in Emsisoft

#14 TheRealJustan

TheRealJustan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:15 PM

Hi boopme,

I've done as you instructed. Here is what I've got so far, in case you were curious. Thank you!

RSLCS,

Let me get back to you on that one. 

#15 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,190 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 10:12 AM

Now that your log is properly posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Removal Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.
From this point on the Malware Removal Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.
Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the Malware Removal Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Removal Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRL Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.
The current wait time is 1 - 3 days and ALL logs are answered.
If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.
To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users