Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB and drivers failing and no longer working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Scubasteve1989

Scubasteve1989

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2017 - 04:40 AM

Been having issues for a few weeks first was just my USB drives were not working for certain storage devices. Then my printer would no longer work even with the driver installed would state that it is not installed and was unable to install. Then everything else did such as my mouse keyboard etc. I have replace the motherboard with an older one and still same issue.

Now I have been able to get into recovery mode and can access the command prompt. Whats best options to look at from here as to just reinstall Windows somehow onto another drive? Ive ran out of ideas other than that cause as soon as it boots back up it goes to install all the drivers as normal fails and then nothing works.

Thank you all for assistance is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:16 AM

Just to confirm, You replaced the motherboard but did not reinstall the OS, you used the same hard drive with the original OS that had the USB issue?

#3 Scubasteve1989

Scubasteve1989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2017 - 03:13 PM

Correct still the same OS as trying to work out how to install a new OS to another hard drive via USB with using a laptop as cannot use my one anymore for any access. Do you think the OS is failing as tried system repair and install and no fix at all.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 29 October 2017 - 05:38 PM

Did the USB storage devices work on a different computer? You can't expect the OS to boot correctly when replacing the motherboard unless it is identical down to the chipset level.

If the computer can boot to Windows using the same hard drive and different motherboard download DeviceCleanupCMD. The file is called devicelceanupcmd.zip. Unzip the file to the desktop. In the unzipped folder should be a folder called X64. Copy this folder to the root of C:\. Do not download Device Cleanup Tool. Make sure it's Device Cleanup Cmd. If you have 32bit windows copy the Win32 folder to C:\.

http://www.uwe-sieber.de/misc_tools_e.html

Open an elevated command prompt. Type CMD in the search box. Right Click > Run As Administrator. Type the following commands

C:\
CD X64         If your Windows is 32bit then the command is CD Win32. 
devicecleanup *

This will delete all non present USB devices. Reboot your computer and attach a USB flash drive. Is it detected?

What is the make and model of the computer. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 October 2017 - 05:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users