Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Download "Glasswire"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 johnkromka

johnkromka

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 29 October 2017 - 01:23 AM

I have a terrible hacker on my network.  I am not going to list the 50 reasons why I know this, I am positive. It has been going on for 7 long miserable weeks.  Wrecked two computers. Been a nightmare and I am at war with him/her trying to get rid of him. 
One thing he likes to do is whenever I try to download a software dealing in networking, most of the time he jumps right on and messes up the download/installation.  Some he lets through. One such software is Glasswire, an excellent tool for finding out what is on your network and has many other good features.  When I found out about it I immediately tried to download it.  But 3/4 of the way it said "installation failed".  I clicked on that and somehow it went through, but then when I tried to activate it, it said "the service stopped running", and was unusable.  I have tried three more times to Download this at different times of the day. He seems to have my system automated to make the download fail.  How he does this I don't know.  I use McAfee.  Right in the middle of the download, up will pop up two different notifications under "programs wanting internet access".  One is "Glasswire Stats Reporter" and the other is simply "Windows Installer".  It gives me the option to block them, and I do, but he still succeeds in stopping the download. I also use a software called Spy Shelter Premium that shoots out notifications all day long of things he is trying to do to my computer.  The Glasswire was listed in the Spy Shelter list, but I could not figure out why or what to do.  I know why he doesn't want me having Glasswire on.  Because it will either reveal information about his connection to my system, or he feels threatened by it in some way. I have seen many network scanners on the Internet, but Glasswire seems to be the best.  I have managed to download a few like "whoisonmywife". From it a box comes up about every 7 minutes that says "an unidentified computer was found on your network", but no other detailed information.  Others have given me information that doesn't look "right" to me, but I have limited computer knowledge and need someone to come in here and look at all of the evidence I have and make sense of it and stop this hacker.  I am not asking for help getting rid of a hacker here.  I am concentrating on the fact that he can get into my system and stop me from downloading applications and many other things I do not care to mention, because it all makes me sick. Really, my question is two fold: 1) how does he stop/mess up a download I want to do 2) Is there any way I can "outsmart him" and get the download on, or does it just come down to getting rid of HIM? Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:57 AM

so download your programs on a different computer then copy to a usb stick/ thumb drive, then unplug your computer from the network while you install the programs from the thumb drive. that way he can't mess with your installs while you do the install.

and log into your internet router and change the password!  

Edited by mightywiz, 30 October 2017 - 12:00 PM.

#3 johnkromka

johnkromka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:39 PM

Mightywiz-first off thanks for taking the time to reply to my problem.  Here are my responses to your suggestions: 

1) Sure I have thought of what you said about downloading it from another computer.  But here's the problem.  Even if I do that and am successful in installing the software on to my computer, Mr. Hacker will see that and either take it down or corrupt it I am certain.  He has already done that to FIVE applications I have been able to download.  He has totally messed them up and made them unusable. So I don't think there is a way to win by doing what you suggested.

2) As far as logging into my router and changing the password I have thought about and tried that too.  Problem is I can't seem to get into my router.  I understand you just merely type in the IP address of the router and it should come up.  But when I do that, I get a page "hmmm....seems we cannot reach this page"...My guess is Mr. Hacker is behind this because he knows I can do just what you suggested and stop him. You would not believe how many things I have tried to get rid of this evil person from my system.  I have run every scan you can think of, and sure I have malware all over the place and cleaned it all up, but he still remains and please don't ask me for the many PROOFS I have that he is in my network and making my life miserable.  I am not running any more useless scans, I have my proof. My goal now seems to be to simply give the heave-ho to the hacker.  I am looking at a device called Fingbox that looks very good in doing this.  I can't get anybody to help me on remote, as you just have to be here with a hacking issue...that is one thing everyone has told me you cannot do on a remote session.  The changes have to be made HERE and seen HERE.  I believe that and it is very unfortunate, for I cannot find anyone to come in here personally to take care of this. This has been going on for two months and I am at my wit's end. 

In this post, I am going to concentrate on one issue I have suspected was associated with a hacker from the beginning. And more so as time has gone by. It involves my command prompt box. Ever since all this suspicious behavior started on my machine, my command prompt box would come up at random times for about one second, no longer. Sometimes there is writing in the box, sometimes not. Because it goes by so fast have been unable to do a print screen. However, tonight I got lucky. I FINALLY got the screen printed and transferred it to my Paint. The box comes up daily, usually two or three times, as I said at very random times as I have kept records. Unfortunately, on the one I finally caught tonight, there was nothing in the box, but there was some writing across the border on the top. I am going to print here all it said, as I have NO IDEA what it means or may mean. I am hoping someone here may be able to look at this and give me some ideas about it or any information would help. Here is what it said: Select C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\installutil.exe
If you know what that means or even part of it, or have some ideas or theories I would really like to hear them, as I cannot make heads or tails of any of it. It certainly looks "wrong".I do not activate the command prompt box EVER, it just comes up. I have read many things in the search engines that can possibly account for the command prompt box coming up, but have found nothing that relates to my situation. I have seen a few say they were worried it might indicate hacker or malicious activity, like maybe trying to "connect" and other various theories. Understand I NEVER had anything like this happen until all my "problems" began about 2 months ago. Thank you for any and all help.(Please don't ask me to run any scans because I have already done all that and there is no further need. I am POSITIVE a hacker is on my network, I do not need any more scans to convince me of that. I just want some help with this problem I am describing, PLEASE)

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:08 PM

you missed "unplug from the network" I mean unplug your network cable from your computer and then install the software and run it he won't be able to mess with it with no physical connection to the outside world. 

download the latest malwarebytes and adwcleaner from this site in the download section from this website on a different computer, then run a virus scan and make sure it's set to do a full scan not a quick scan.

you don't have to be connected to the internet to do these scans.

if your still getting messed with with no internet connected then your system has something else going on and it's not hacker related, it's probably malware/adware.

#5 night5runner

night5runner

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:25 AM

I've had some similar problems johnkromka.  I'm no expert so keep that in mind. 

What type of router/modem do you use?  I rented one from Comcast for a while and it was terrible and vulnerable.  Switched to a Netgear that allowed me to access it offline.  Meaning I could hit a button on it to turn off all WiFi.  Then with just a power cable and ethernet cable (not connected to internet), I could access the router and check logs and change passwords, change settings, without a hacker seeing what I was doing.

That will give you some breathing room to download Glasswire, scan for keyloggers, whatever else to get the upper hand on this hacker.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users