Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sound working at all?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kwjamesblond

kwjamesblond

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:48 PM

Hello I own a custom built PC with a GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 and am currently not getting my integrated Creative Sound Blaster Recon3di to work.  When I open iTunes I get a error message that says audioses.dll contains an error.  I also am having trouble getting windows update Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2, 2016 x64 Edition - October 2017 (KB890830) to update as well but I do not think this is related.  I am running the newest version of windows 10.  I have tried to us the built in sound repair feature but this would not work.  I hope I have stated enough information.

-Thank you for your time.

Edited by kwjamesblond, 28 October 2017 - 11:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 29 October 2017 - 06:39 PM

This appears to be a standard Windows file which has probably got corrupted. In My win 7  I have at least a dozen examples of this file scattered around the Windows folder. I suggest you run SFC /scannow. If you haven't done this before, in Win 10 click in search and type 'Command' (all typing instructions without the ' '). Select the 'Run as administrator' version if you are offered it, if not, RIGHT click on 'Command.exe' and select 'Run as administrator'.

This will produce a black window with white text at the end of which you will see a blinking underscore, this is the insertion point. Type 'SFC / scannow' then press 'Enter'. It is not case sensitive but note there is a space between 'SFC' and '/scannow'. Once you press enter the scan will start. It can take upwards of an hour to run but do not interrupt it. When it finishes it will produce a report on screen which will say, in translation one of three things -

(1)  No problems found

(2)  Problems found and fixed, or

(3)  Problems found and not fixed

Post back, particularly if (3).

Chris Cosgrove

#3 kwjamesblond

kwjamesblond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:22 PM

Hello I just ran the command twice and got the error "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation".  This happened at about 18 percent of the verification stage.  I was logged in as admin as well.

-Thanks

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:36 PM

I think you are going to have to carry out a repair install on your Win 10. There is a way of doing this that retains your applications and data but as I am not the World's greatest expert on Win 10 I will see if I can get someone else to advise you on this.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 kwjamesblond

kwjamesblond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:47 PM

If you could help me do that that would be great.  Thanks for helping me as well.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:54 PM

I want to make certain that you are running Windows 10, Version 1709, Build 16299.19.  If you are not, still try the below, but there may be other things that can be tried even of these steps do not work.

I would suggest booting Windows 10 into Safe Mode (do a web search, there are thousands of tutorials on the different methods for doing this) and trying the SFC /SCANNOW in safe mode to see if it will complete.

If not, I would try running, DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth ,to see if that manages to fix anything.  If it reports that anything was fixed I would then re-run SFC /SCANNOW.

Of course, all of the above commands would need to be run in Command Prompt or PowerShell that's opened with elevated administrator privileges regardless of whether the machine is in safe mode or in normal mode.

Edited by britechguy, 30 October 2017 - 07:59 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 kwjamesblond

kwjamesblond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:03 PM

Hello I just tried both commands in safe mode and SFC failed the same way when I used it the first way and DISM returned the error: Error 1392, The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

I received an kernel Security Check Failure BSOD on first booting up my computer too.

I also checked my Win 10 version and I am running, Version: 1703, Build: 15063.608

-Thanks again for the help

Edited by kwjamesblond, 31 October 2017 - 07:16 PM.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:28 PM

Well, you may be in luck.    I would definitely back up all your user data then use the instructions to Update Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file.

You have the luxury of trying the "Keep files and apps" option and see if the major update, which, for all practical intents and purposes reinstalls Windows 10, might fix the issues you're having, since they all appear to be at the OS level.

If it doesn't, then (provided you have a backup of your user data) I would do a clean install of Windows 10 using the bootable media you already created and used to attempt the version update.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users