Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing windows 7 on Dell laptop with Vista

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 level2

level2

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 28 October 2017 - 04:11 PM

Greetings I have a Dell Laptop that at present has Vista``` I would like to install windows 7 on that  laptop``

Daughter tells me~ there is a reason that can't be done~ Is that true~ or is there a why it can be done```

Thank you

Richard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 28 October 2017 - 04:35 PM

It depends. Download the Windows 7 upgrade advisor and it will let you know if the computer is capable of running Windows 7. You would need to purchase a license for Windows 7. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20

• Before you begin: Be sure to plug in and turn on any USB devices or other devices, such as printers, external hard disks, and scanners, that you regularly use with the PC you're checking. 

The Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor scans your PC for potential compatibility issues and lets you know about your Windows 7 upgrade options. Within minutes, you'll get a report that tells you if your PC meets the system requirements, if any known compatibility issues with your hardware, devices, and installed programs are found, and gives guidance on what to do to before installing Windows 7 on your PC.

#3 level2

level2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 28 October 2017 - 04:46 PM

Thank you JohnC~ I'll see if I can find that~ and tomorrow when I'll be going back up to where that computer is```

Richard

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 05:07 AM

Maybe your daughter has some information we all could use (ask) or maybe she means going from Vista to Windows 7 can't be done for free.

The Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor will tell you if your hardware, devices and some of your installed programs are compatible with Windows 7.

It will not tell you if Dell makes Windows 7 drivers for your system.

You should visit the Dell Support site here and enter your Dell Service Tag number:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19?c=us&l=en&~ck=mn

Then on the Drivers &downloads tab see if the drop down for Operating systems list the Windows 7 architecture (32 or 64-bit) of your desire:

[attachment=199211:Untitled.jpg]

In that example you can see Windows 7 is not listed so that Latitude D630 might not run Windows 7.

I say might not because sometimes the Vista drivers will work with Windows 7 and sometimes they wont.

Then like JohnC_21 says you are going to have to find a trustworthy source to purchase genuine Windows 7 which has been off the retail shelves since October 2014 but if you perform some Internet searches you can still find places to but it.

Edited by joseibarra, 30 October 2017 - 07:06 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 05:44 AM

You can still buy oem versions of windows 7. Newegg had windows 7 on sale just a couple days ago, although that sale looks to be over today

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=windows+7&N=-1&isNodeId=1

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:30 AM

Amazon also seems to have retail versions of Win 7 available for sale (DVD and license).

See Here.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users