Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Routing between 2 subnets

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jseibert

Jseibert

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 28 October 2017 - 02:26 PM

I have 2 Cisco RV042 routers, each with its own subnet. 192.168.230.x and 192.168.231.x. The gateway is 192.168.230.240. I'm trying to give the 231.x internet access. I want to keep all other traffic separate. How can I accomplish this? I've tried everything I know how. I assume there needs to be a route to each?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 28 October 2017 - 05:48 PM

Have you tried to create a static route?

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#3 Jseibert

Jseibert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 06:25 PM

I wasn't sure how to do that on this model. They seem to be small business/consumer grade. With the configuration that I have currently, would a static route resolve the issue? Is the gateway setting correct on R2,the 192.168.231? It was suggested I may need a different gateway but I'm not sure what that would be or how to figure it out. Thanks!

#4 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 588 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 06:41 PM

Are to ssh into the router with putty? How are you getting into the router?

Edited by arlattimor, 28 October 2017 - 06:41 PM.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

#5 Jseibert

Jseibert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 06:50 PM

Let me back up a bit. I inherited this network. I have a 48 port switch, connected to R1,and R1 patched into the wan of the ISP. R2 only has a few deviceson the 192.168.231,but they need internet access. Someone had patched a cable from R1 to R2 to accomplish this, however the network traffic wasn't separated. R2 could pull DHCP from R1s subnet. I removed the patch cable. Is there any way to accomplish what I'm asking with the equipment I have? I assume at some point this worked but something changed in the setup.
Let me back up a bit. I inherited this network. I have a 48 port switch, connected to R1,and R1 patched into the wan of the ISP. R2 only has a few deviceson the 192.168.231,but they need internet access. Someone had patched a cable from R1 to R2 to accomplish this, however the network traffic wasn't separated. R2 could pull DHCP from R1s subnet. I removed the patch cable. Is there any way to accomplish what I'm asking with the equipment I have? I assume at some point this worked but something changed in the setup.

#6 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 588 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 06:52 PM

Here is the Cisco Knowledge Base on how to configure Static Route for your router model.

https://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/GetArticle.aspx?docid=0eed5b00c5be40e09722ac0fe4eb3cb0_Advanced_Routing__Static_Routing_Configuration.xml

A. Lattimore

#7 Jseibert

Jseibert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:05 PM

Thanks, apologies for the duplicate post. So if I reconnect the patch from R1 to R2 and create the static route will that prevent the traffic from crossing? With the patch plugged in R2s subnet was pulling DHCP from R1s LAN and assigning it an address in that subnet.

#8 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 588 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:05 PM

What kind of internet do you have coming into your demarc point? Cable, DSL, or Fiber?

Edited by arlattimor, 28 October 2017 - 07:06 PM.

A. Lattimore

#9 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 588 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:20 PM

From what you've posted sounds like R2 is acting as a DHCP Relay. You need to check if the DHCP Relay functionality has been enabled.

https://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/GetArticle.aspx?docid=9387aa061b8d4569b5197f52800a7edd_IPv4_DHCP_Relay_Configuration.xml&pid=2&converted=0

A. Lattimore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users