Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Persistent flicker issue in Lenovo y50-70 non touch

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 alaaeldin12

alaaeldin12

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 28 October 2017 - 01:10 PM

Hi,
I have had this flickering issue ever since I updated to windows 10 2 years ago. My laptop is Lenovo y50-70.
I have updated the graphics card (and every other driver). Updated the BIOS. Played with the VGA intel driver settings (suggested by someone online).  I dont have the "Panel Self-Refresh setting" option visible in my intel VGA settings, and my BIOS is already at 3.03 (Latest).
I also did the cpu processing throttle to 99% , and several other values like 1% , 5%, 70%, 100%, without success. Basically every suggestion found here in any online furom.
All of that and more and still the issue doesnt go away.
When it becomes so bad I open the laptop and deattach/attach the screen cable. This resolves the issue for a couple of days and it comes back even worse every time.
Although this may suggest it is a hardware issue, it never happened before the win10 upgrade. It also seems to happen more severly when certain websites are open, and also when certain programs are used. Check this video I uploaded to know what I mean.
A few months ago the problem suddenly was complicated and the screen went corrupt (green haze with white lines). I had to buy a new screen and install it. Things seemed fine after that for a month, and it is now back again flickering!
I have a separate monitor connected by HDMI to the laptop and it works fine (thus it is not a VGA issue)
I am frustrated and tired. I payed top-dollar (back then) for a laptop that acts as a workstation/gaming platform and this flickering is killing me (along with the heat in left side of keyboard during gaming, but ppl online says it is normal so I dont mind)
Please help. I am out of waranty.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:17 AM

probably just coincidental with the upgrade, but to me looks like a bad cable connection.  now since you wiggle the screen and it happens make me think you have an intermittent cable probably where the cable passes through the bottom deck to the screen beside a hinge.   myself I would replace that entire video cable.

#3 alaaeldin12

alaaeldin12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:22 AM

I have a feeling it would boil down to this cable as well, but the thing is some applications seem to have a severe effect (in the video I open my computer and the screen is unusable, but when I close it or move it to the adjacent screen the screen returns back)

Does this not indicate a "soft" issue instead of a "hard" one?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users