Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using a Mini Wireless Keyboard/Touchpad on a Windows 7 PC?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 F1Help

F1Help

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 28 October 2017 - 11:43 AM

Hi,

I have a Windows 7 desktop PC, which currently has a conventional keyboard and mouse, each connected with wired USB.

As I often use my PC as a media centre, I am considering getting a mini wireless keyboard/touchpad so I could also control my PC easier when sitting away from it.  I was thinking of something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Multi-media-Keyboard-Raspberry-Layout-Black-Black/dp/B00DUUF250/

With this in mind, could you please advise:

1) Is it okay to have these three things plugged into my PC at the same time?

• Wired USB mouse.
  • Wired USB keyboard.
  • Dongle for mini wireless keyboard/touchpad.

2) Will Windows 7 get "confused" if wired and wireless input devices (as above) are connected simultaneously?

3) Can I easily switch between wired and wireless input devices without having to change settings in Windows 7 (e.g. specify a default)?

4) Is it feasible to have basic control of Window 7 with a mini wireless keyboard/touchpad, for example to open up a web browser and play a video on YouTube?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 28 October 2017 - 06:10 PM

You will have no problems and no switching or changeover is required. Just to prove the point, upto this comma this was typed on a wired keyboard plugged into my desktop and from the comma it is typed on my normal wirelesss one and all I did was move one keyboard out of the way !

I would expect you to have full control with a wireless keyboard and track pad, exactly the same as you have with the wired keyboard and mouse. And no, Windows won't get confused.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 29 October 2017 - 03:59 AM

I have one of those mini keyboards that I occasionally use on a PC (Windows 7 when I bought the keyboard, Windows 10 now). The keyboard works fine, you can do anything with the mini keyboard that you can do with a normal keyboard & mouse, multiple wired / wireless / infra-red keyboards  has not caused any problems.

If you are using a UK keyboard as your main keyboard you will probably want to ensure that you get a UK version of the mini keyboard (the one you linked from Amazon is a UK version with the £ sign, many of those available in the UK are US layout keyboards).

Edited by rqt, 29 October 2017 - 04:07 AM.

#4 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 29 October 2017 - 10:20 AM

Great - thanks for your helpful replies.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:34 AM

Just a little more information on the number of USB devices you can connect.  USB can handle up to 127 devices, so the average person will never hit the maximum.  Hubs count as a device, but even so odds are you would never reach the limit.

1) Yes.

2 and 3) Windows won't get confused, but will accept input from all connected devices.  So, if someone was typing on the wired keyboard while you were typing on the wireless, both would be acknowledged by the computer.

4) Yes, completely feasible.  I use a wireless keyboard to control my media machine.  From the comfort of my couch I can open a web browser, search, stream content or whatever else I would do normally.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users