Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Paid the ransom, now what? do I try to remove the virus before decrypting?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 painful_learning

painful_learning

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:49 AM

Its been a painful process and a huge learning experience, I had to take a chance on paying I need my data period. I haven't attempted to remove the infection for fear of not being able to decrypt the files afterwards. Can someone please offer some suggestions, I already paid the ransom and have the decrypt code. Should I remove the virus first or will the decrypt code do both disinfect and decrypt? I'm dying here!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Emmanuel_ADC-Soft

Emmanuel_ADC-Soft

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 29 October 2017 - 06:48 AM

Hello,
Can you tell us which ransomware you are dealing with ?

You may use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to check your device.

Regards,
Emmanuel

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:56 AM

Before attempting any decryption when a decrypter is available, it is recommended to back up the original encrypted files first and perform a test decryption on sample copies of the encrypted files in case something goes awry. If the files become damaged or corrupted, you will have a back up to try again. If in an enterprise environment, disconnect from the network first. There is no way of knowing what kind of decryption program the criminals are sending you...if it will work or if it may be coded with additional malware.

Most crypto malware ransomware is typically programmed to automatically remove itself...the malicious files responsible for the infection...after the encrypting is done since they are no longer needed. That explains why many security scanners do not find anything after the fact. The encrypted files do not contain malicious code so they are safe. Unfortunately, most victims do not realize they have been infected until the ransomware displays the ransom note and the files have already been encrypted. In some cases there may be no ransom note and discovery only occurs at a later time when attempting to open an encrypted file. As such, they don't know how long the malware was on the system before being alerted or if other malware was downloaded and installed along with the ransomware. If other malware was involved it could still be present so be sure to perform full scans with your anti-virus.

If your antivirus did not detect and remove anything, additional scans should be performed with other security programs like Emsisoft Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes 3.0, Zemana AntiMalware, RogueKiller Anti-malware and HitmanPro. You can also supplement your anti-virus or get a second opinion by performing an Online Virus Scan.

If you need individual assistance only with removing the malware infection, follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide...all other questions or comments should be posted in the support topics. When you have done that, start a new topic and post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users