Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMD Catalyst driver issue?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bitesized1612

bitesized1612

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:24 AM

I get a white screen with grey multicolor lines for about 10 seconds before the picture comes back and AMD Catalyst tells me it crashed and then recovers. AMD Catalyst seems to crash fairly often but this is the second time this particular event has happened and I'm not sure what circumstances I'm reproducing that it's returned. I don't think it's the hardware but who knows. Maybe I've been pushing this refurb laptop a little too far and it's finally starting to give up? I've had for a year and there's always a new problem.

Windows 7 64-bit

AMD Radeon HD 6470M

Driver Version: 8.951.6.2300

Driver Date: 10/22/2017

Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) // HP EliteBook 8460p = 2.50GHz + 8GB RAM 

AVAST! - Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox - LibreOffice - Rainmeter

Currently Testing: Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE on a Dell Inspiron 531 (2.1Ghz +3GB RAM)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bitesized1612

bitesized1612
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:53 AM

I just noticed that the game I'm playing in Firefox is having tearing and rendering issues like crazy. I'm not sure what's going on, is that a related issue? I turned the option for hardware acceleration off and restarted it so it could update and hopefully resolved that part. Still wondering why AMD Catalyst crashes all the time though. 

EDIT: I found a update for my driver, seeing if that solves it. I'm still open to suggestion from people that have dealt with this before.

Edited by bitesized1612, 28 October 2017 - 11:36 AM.

Currently Testing: Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE on a Dell Inspiron 531 (2.1Ghz +3GB RAM)

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:03 PM

who refurbished this computer?

was it a 3rd party company or did it come from the manufacturer?

if you bought if from a 3rd party seller then I wouldn't really trust how or by whom it was refurbished.  now if it was a manufacturer refurb then that's the only time I would purchase a refurbished unit.

if your starting to get graphic's issues then it's probably GPU related and there is really nothing you can do on your end but try updated drivers, if that doesn't correct it then it's probably going to be a hardware issue and if it's out of warranty then it's time to get a new laptop.  if it's under warranty then contact the manufacturer for warranty repair.

#4 bitesized1612

bitesized1612
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2017 - 01:04 PM

My main issue has returned. Screen freezes into grey multi-colored vertical lines then comes back except this time the screen turned black. I tried to close the lid to get it to sleep as it seemed to be attempting to do then Window just rebooted itself instead. When it came back it the error reporting said I had a blue screen. I have no idea what do at this point except to limit how much I use the laptop, which is a bit impossible at the moment. 

who refurbished this computer?

was it a 3rd party company or did it come from the manufacturer?

if you bought if from a 3rd party seller then I wouldn't really trust how or by whom it was refurbished.  now if it was a manufacturer refurb then that's the only time I would purchase a refurbished unit.

if your starting to get graphic's issues then it's probably GPU related and there is really nothing you can do on your end but try updated drivers, if that doesn't correct it then it's probably going to be a hardware issue and if it's out of warranty then it's time to get a new laptop.  if it's under warranty then contact the manufacturer for warranty repair.

A 3rd party on eBay, it was around $300 and there wasn't a warranty. The description said manufacturer refurb that they put software on  along with Windows. When I opened up the unit to clean it a few months ago (the fan started to sound horrible and it was overheating) it was caked with a significant amount of furry dust. I'm guessing it sat in a warehouse for a really long time before the seller got to it and this model seems to be a business class laptop that's getting phased out. Obviously not suited for a playing a lot of games or media even though I don't work it that hard. 

I did update the drivers and it seemed to work pretty well for a while but I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing to make the GPU act up so I can't not do it. I can't afford a new laptop until maybe later next year so I need this one to last as long as possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users