Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this normal for Memory Usage?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Chokachilds

Chokachilds

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:42 AM

Hey. I've noticed that it shows 70% memory usage with only 500-600 MB of memory being used.

https://gyazo.com/bf96b4dc4c1c1ad8622cc8b5bb53cb65

Here's a picture of my situation. I'm wondering if this is normal. Thanks. 

https://gyazo.com/643d71651413c17f4070402e31520448

Here's a picture of my PC being idle. 

I've already done a virus scan. I did a memtest86 not too long ago and everything came out fine. 

I have 8GB of RAM. I reseated the RAM as well. 

I'm using a Samsung SSD and rapid mode is disabled. 

Thanks. 

Edited by Chokachilds, 28 October 2017 - 07:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chokachilds

Chokachilds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:54 AM

After digging around more, it shows that dwm.exe is using a lot of resources in my resource monitor (https://gyazo.com/65deeb3c7ab989fed25a3b487f8ed085)

However, it's funny that this doesn't show up in processes when it did a couple of days ago. Also, this service doesn't show up in my Services program. I also have visual performance options set to Best Performance, so I'm a bit confused as to why dwm.exe is using up so much memory. 

Edited by Chokachilds, 28 October 2017 - 07:55 AM.

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 28 October 2017 - 03:10 PM

DWM.exe is the Desktop Windows Manager. This is a core service in Windows and must not be removed or terminated. Generally, this is always going to be one of the largest demanding processes in Windows, so 17 megs is not unusual. You will also find that as demands loads and unloads after usage, it will rise and fall accordingly. It provides desktop and GUI services such as aero in Windows7, extreme high resolutions, the ability to open multiple tabs in your browser, etc. You will find it listed in your Services menu.

Open your Services menu; if you cannot find Desktop Windows Manager something is amiss, but be sure you haven't accidentally overlooked it.

Edited by ranchhand_, 28 October 2017 - 03:11 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 28 October 2017 - 04:08 PM

I don't think it sounds like a hardware problem, although 3 Gb memory use by DWM.exe does not look normal, and it may be driver related, so I would suggest updating all drivers (especially the video driver) to the latest versions.  This article may be a good starting point - http://www.thewindowsclub.com/desktop-window-manager-dwm-exe

Edited by jonuk76, 28 October 2017 - 04:15 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Chokachilds

Chokachilds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:02 PM

A restart on my computer fixed the issue. I still can't find Desktop Window Manager in my services. https://gyazo.com/d5d77edb08d2ad4e0b0e27d669a3b7a6

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:34 PM

Just for a test, please do a scan for dwm.exe as follows:

Enter Explore

Hilight your Windows folder (not the C:// drive, just the Windows folder).

In the search bar upper right corner of the screen, type dwm.exe. If Windows offers to turn on indexing for a faster search, ok it.

If you find dwm.exe anywhere except in the System32 folder, right-click on it and note how large the file is. If substantially larger or smaller than 118k, you may have a virus.

If you do not have any reference to dwm.exe in the search, do a search of the entire Windows C:// drive;

It is very strange that your processes has it listed, but service does not.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 Chokachilds

Chokachilds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2017 - 01:31 AM

That is a bit weird. This is what I get. https://gyazo.com/e30a3d848c8148967d80b1bdc2fe43e7

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2017 - 02:44 PM

I strongly suggest that you pop over to the Malware Removal section of BC and post in. Explain the problem and that multiple copies of dwm.exe are in System 32, but not in Services where it is supposed to be. Also mention the difference in file sizes. The file size in my Windows 7 Ultimate is 118k and there is only one instance.

You might run Malwarebytes while you are waiting for a response.

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 29 October 2017 - 06:19 PM

Ranchhand_  has misled you slightly. What he should have said was go to the SECURITY section and start a topic in the 'Am I infected ? what do I do ?' section there.

When you start your topic describe your problem, give details of your computer and OS and include a link to this topic, the URL from the this topic which you will see in your address bar. Just copy it and paste it into your new topic.

Chris Cosgrove

#10 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:33 PM

Sorry...my bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users