Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My PC needs a new immune system

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PortalBreaker

PortalBreaker

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 27 October 2017 - 10:36 PM

So my PC is completely clean now, and I need program(s) to keep it healthy and protected.

I don't mind spending money, but I don't want to run around buying products that are not suitable for my computer.

I am running W7, and I got nothing else besides Microsoft Security Essentials on it right now.

What suggestions do you guys have for a newbie?

I was thinking iObit software, but I heard it was useless and potentially dangerous.

I probably need one of each (Anti-Virus), (Anti-Malware) and (Privacy Software).

Hit me up!
Cheers! :guitar:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 28 October 2017 - 06:45 AM

If you don't mind paying, I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they are effective but leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources which slow down performance. ESET and Emsisoft Anti-Malware also have the added advantage of blocking the installation of most Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) (such as adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers) if you enable that feature. The most recent release of Emsisoft Anti-Malware includes an Anti-Malware Anti-Ransomware module.

If you don't want or can't afford to pay, then I would recommend Kaspersky Free Antivirus, Sophos Home Free Antivirus, Panda Cloud Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if you prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender or Microsoft Security Essentials, the free solution for Windows 7 and Vista SP1/SP2.

Although Microsoft Security Essentials combines the features of an anti-virus and anti-malware scanner to provide real-time protection against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software...it is weak, meaning it does not provide comprehensive protection especially from ransomware.

I generally recommend Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium or Zemana AntiMalware as the backbone to supplementing your anti-virus software. See my comments in Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools for more specific information as to why I recommend these programs.

I recommending adding an anti-exploit tool to protect against ransomware, zero-day malware, drive-by downloads, exploits and Exploit Kits.

For the best defensive strategy to protect yourself from malware and ransomware (crypto malware) infections, see my comments (Post #2) in this topic...Ransomware Avoidance...it includes a list of prevention tools.
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:47 AM

Hi, PortalBreaker and Welcome to BC! :welcome:

There is also SpywareBlaster Free / Pro and WinPatrol FREE / PLUS, both of which have free as well as paid versions, i.e. the latter with extra functionality (AutoUpdate).

Furthermore, there is Secunia PSI and Unchecky, both of which are free.

And, depending on your web browser, in addition there is uBlock Origin, Adblock Plus, AdFender, Ghostery and HTTPS Everywhere, all of these are free.

Good luck! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 28 October 2017 - 10:40 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, SWB, WPP, HMP.A with CryptoGuard, CryptoPrevent Free, MB Free, SIRI? and Unchecky, WFW, FF with µBO, Ghostery, HTTPS Ew and VTzilla. Acronis TI 2017, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 22 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#4 isaccasi

isaccasi

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 06:27 AM

I would choose Bitdefender+Zemana Anti Malware+HitmanPro for basic protection; you can also use Kaspersky as AV.

It is only my opinion.

#5 Canna

Canna

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 11:02 PM

I recommend ESET Internet Security/NOD32.  Great product, super light-weight and easy to use.  Now that's your active protection but it's still advisable to have secondary scanners to complement your main AV.  Try Malwarebytes Free, HitmanPro, and Emsisoft Emergency Kit.  Make sure real-time protection modules are turned OFF for any of your complementary programs lest they cause an issue with your primary AV.  I've heard Malwarebytes plays nice with AV products but your mileage may vary.

Good luck!

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,905 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:39 AM

Malwarebytes Free and similar on-demand scanners do not offer real-time protection...that feature is typically disabled after the trial period expires.

You need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution with real-time protection for maximum protection. An anti-virus program alone does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Anti-virus software is inherently reactive...meaning it usually finds malware after a computer has been infected rather than block or prevent the infection in the first place. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats. Read more in Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools.
Windows Insider MVP 2017

#7 HelpIGotScammed

HelpIGotScammed

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:30 PM

Personally, I use Panda Cloud Antivirus (free) on my dinosaur of a computer, since I can't afford to just go buy a new one. The best benefit is it doesn't make my computer lag since it's cloud based, so no sitting around with everything frozen or moving super slow while it updates its definitions.

#8 santiano

santiano

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:22 AM

If you don't mind paying, I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they are effective but leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources which slow down performance. ESET and Emsisoft Anti-Malware also have the added advantage of blocking the installation of most Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) (such as adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers) if you enable that feature. The most recent release of Emsisoft Anti-Malware includes an Anti-Malware Anti-Ransomware module.

If you don't want or can't afford to pay, then I would recommend Kaspersky Free Antivirus, Sophos Home Free Antivirus, Panda Cloud Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if you prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender or Microsoft Security Essentials, the free solution for Windows 7 and Vista SP1/SP2.

Although Microsoft Security Essentials combines the features of an anti-virus and anti-malware scanner to provide real-time protection against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software...it is weak, meaning it does not provide comprehensive protection especially from ransomware.

I generally recommend Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium or Zemana AntiMalware as the backbone to supplementing your anti-virus software. See my comments in Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools for more specific information as to why I recommend these programs.

I recommending adding an anti-exploit tool to protect against ransomware, zero-day malware, drive-by downloads, exploits and Exploit Kits.

For the best defensive strategy to protect yourself from malware and ransomware (crypto malware) infections, see my comments (Post #2) in this topic...Ransomware Avoidance...it includes a list of prevention tools.

I do believe that system needs a secure program to provide protection against virus, spyware, phishing attack and other latest threats and enhance the immune system of PC. This will be helpful.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,905 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:46 AM

ESET and Emsisoft Anti-Malware also have the added advantage of blocking the installation of most Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) (such as adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers) if you enable that feature. The most recent release of Emsisoft Anti-Malware includes an Anti-Malware Anti-Ransomware module.

eam_pup_728x574_en.png
Windows Insider MVP 2017

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users