Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU constant 25%

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MaoriGreek

MaoriGreek

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 27 October 2017 - 10:34 PM

Im running windows 7 64bit and im unsure why or what is eating up my cpu usage. on start up it starts at 0 then once up and running hovers at a constant 25%. I have updated all drivers, ran a Kaspersky check tool as I was following someone on here an tried what they did but didn't solve my issue.. Thanks in advance

Attached Files

• Attached File  cpuu.png   58.85KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,487 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:48 PM

A common cause for the CPU being constantly pegged at 25% is if you have a 4 thread CPU (typically dual core with hyperthreading) and Windows Update has got stuck.

A simple way to check if it is being caused by Windows Update is to turn updating off and see if the CPU idles back to the normal level, or you can go through Task Manager to identify if the wuauserv process is the one hogging 25% CPU.

Once it's known whether Windows Update is the cause or not, we can suggest measures to deal with either that, or another cause such as possible Malware.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 MaoriGreek

MaoriGreek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:19 AM

turned off windows update, same thing. even restarted as well. still at 25%. and deactivated wuauserv. and yes im running an I3 processor so it has hyperthreading

Edited by MaoriGreek, 28 October 2017 - 12:44 AM.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,487 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 01:40 AM

Is there a particular process or service consuming most of the CPU?

#5 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 28 October 2017 - 04:39 AM

- Open Task Manager (Process tab) to see what process uses this large amount of CPU.

#6 MaoriGreek

MaoriGreek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 05:19 AM

That's what its looking like,

Attached Files

Edited by MaoriGreek, 28 October 2017 - 05:22 AM.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,487 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 05:32 AM

We can't see what scrolls off the bottom of your screen. Make sure Show processes from all users is activated. In Resource Manager, see whether Processes or Services holds the high CPU utilization, expand if necessary and scroll through to see what it is.

Edited by Platypus, 28 October 2017 - 05:33 AM.

#8 MaoriGreek

MaoriGreek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 05:56 AM

I posted all of the screenshots here, I'm not sure how to add them so they are big but if you click them it will expand. I wont lie I'm not to sure what a lot of that is. any help is appreciated, Thanks again for taking the time to help me out!

Attached Files

Edited by MaoriGreek, 28 October 2017 - 05:57 AM.

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,487 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 06:38 AM

On the Performance tab, go into Resource Monitor and on the CPU tab there, check out as I mentioned above whether the Processes or Service category contains the high CPU usage, look through the appropriate list (it is long and changes dynamically so you can't easily screen shot) to see what is showing the high usage.

Edited by Platypus, 28 October 2017 - 06:40 AM.

#10 MaoriGreek

MaoriGreek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:59 AM

presentationfontcache.exe seems to be the culprit. im not to sure what that is but it is the only item in the cpu column. and is highest in average cpu running at almost 25

Attached Files

#11 MaoriGreek

MaoriGreek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:35 AM

So I was able to fix it. Thanks all for your help!! my fix step through went like this

Control Panel > Administrative tools > Services > Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache 3.0.0.0 (Right click) > properties> startup type drop down> Disable > Restart PC!

#12 MaoriGreek

MaoriGreek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:37 AM

Heres another screenshot of the success

Attached Files

#13 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,487 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 11:36 PM

Good to hear, thanks for letting us know of your success.

If you run an application in the future which becomes slow or unstable, it may possibly use the Windows Presentation Foundation, and be struggling without the font cache. In that case, if you find restarting the font cache service makes that program run normally, a procedure that has been stated to clear the CPU hogging is to rebuild the cache:

Find a file called FontCache3.0.0.0.dat, expected to reside in C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local, rename the file (e.g. with a .bak extension) and restart the font cache service. If a new .dat file appears and the CPU hogging stops, the .bak file can be deleted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users