Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card problems.

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 cantwaittohateu

cantwaittohateu

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:24 PM

My laptop started freezing every 5 minutes for about 10 seconds. so I uninstalled the graphics card using a program called Display Driver Uninstaller... ever since then it's like my laptop's gone to the pits. My screen resolution used to normally be 1366 x 768 but is now stuck at 1280 x720 and I can't change it. When on the log in screen you'd think it was booting up in safemode. In the device manager there's a caution mark next to the AMD Radeon graphics card driver. I've uninstalled & reinstalled multiple times and looked elsewhere looking for a result but to no avail. I keep getting a message pop up saying "No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly. Please install AMD driver appropriate for your AMD hardware". 

The system is running terribly slow and gets stuck loading the stupidest thing like pressing start. It is an old laptop but always worked perfectly until I decided to stupidly try update the drivers.

Any help is greatly appreciated and any further information you need to do that I'll definitely supply. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:37 PM

What is the make and full model number of the laptop? What is the OS and is it 32 bit or 64bit.

Right click the graphic chipset in Device Manager, select Properties, and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line into your next post.

If possible download Speccy and publish a web report. Post the URL address.

#3 cantwaittohateu

cantwaittohateu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:15 PM

What is the make and full model number of the laptop? What is the OS and is it 32 bit or 64bit.

Right click the graphic chipset in Device Manager, select Properties, and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line into your next post.

If possible download Speccy and publish a web report. Post the URL address.

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook, Windows 7, 64bit

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6760&SUBSYS_1656103C&REV_00
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6760&SUBSYS_1656103C
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6760&CC_030000
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6760&CC_0300

For reasons unknown the caution sign next to the graphics card has disappeared but the systems still running really slow outside of safemode. (I'm sure there used to be 2 cards showing up in device manager, one AMD and another windows one? but right now there's only the AMD one.)

Can I download and publish whilst using on safemode or will I have to log in as normal to do that for you. Here's safemode version if that's any use to you: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/5Wka2s81ApwTLoZQbGYfhED

Thanks for your help!

Edited by cantwaittohateu, 27 October 2017 - 08:22 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:44 PM

That vendor ID is AMD and the card is the hd6760 but what is strange is Speccy showing AMD Radeon HD 7400M Series

Did you download and install this catalyst driver?

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy3&os=Windows%207%20-%2064. 

The drive looks okay. Do you have a specific model number? A serial number would work also. It may be in the battery compartment.

It's possible this computer had bot an intel and AMD graphics chipset but it doesn't show on speccy. In fact there are a number of errors in Speccy as SPC.dll cannot be initiated.

Is doing a clean install an option for you? 

Edit: I googled the SPC issue and it seems disabling your Security Suite and or firewall will fix the issue.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 October 2017 - 08:58 PM.

#5 cantwaittohateu

cantwaittohateu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 06:45 AM

That vendor ID is AMD and the card is the hd6760 but what is strange is Speccy showing AMD Radeon HD 7400M Series

Did you download and install this catalyst driver?

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy3&os=Windows%207%20-%2064. 

The drive looks okay. Do you have a specific model number? A serial number would work also. It may be in the battery compartment.

It's possible this computer had bot an intel and AMD graphics chipset but it doesn't show on speccy. In fact there are a number of errors in Speccy as SPC.dll cannot be initiated.

Is doing a clean install an option for you? 

Edit: I googled the SPC issue and it seems disabling your Security Suite and or firewall will fix the issue.

Yes that's what I installed. It looks for your card and picks up the suitable drivers but both times it has installed the 7400M software.

Here's another speccy report with that information on it if it's any use to you: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/IKvK6yBjwX8yz12tfbLMZ0G

I would reboot but I need a lot of stuff on here and it's probably gonna take a year to do that considering the speed of the laptop right now. 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:55 AM

From what I could the models had the HD6490M chipset. Do you have the alpha numeric number after dv6? Something like 6b51ea or the serial number?

The AMD driver is supposed to work for both the 6000 series and 7000 series chipsets.

When you mean lots of stuff you are talking about data only, correct. You would be able to reinstall all programs needed?

How does this computer run in Safe Mode? Have you tried a clean boot? How does the computer run after uninstalling AVG? This computer should be fast considering the RAM and CPU.

Edit: I found this HP driver and what is interesting the list also includes intel. I believe what you have may be a hybrid chipset with both intel and AMD drivers and that is why the AMD specific driver failed. Click the small hard drive icon and provide a throwaway email address. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 October 2017 - 08:24 AM.

#7 cantwaittohateu

cantwaittohateu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:47 AM

From what I could the models had the HD6490M chipset. Do you have the alpha numeric number after dv6? Something like 6b51ea or the serial number?

The AMD driver is supposed to work for both the 6000 series and 7000 series chipsets.

When you mean lots of stuff you are talking about data only, correct. You would be able to reinstall all programs needed?

How does this computer run in Safe Mode? Have you tried a clean boot? How does the computer run after uninstalling AVG? This computer should be fast considering the RAM and CPU.

Edit: I found this HP driver and what is interesting the list also includes intel. I believe what you have may be a hybrid chipset with both intel and AMD drivers and that is why the AMD specific driver failed. Click the small hard drive icon and provide a throwaway email address. 

It works perfectly fine in safe mode. I haven't tried a clean boot and I only recently installed AVG because I thought my laptop may have a virus hence why it was going so slow - but nothing AVG picked up. 

And the edit note, should I install that driver now without uninstalling anything? 

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:38 AM

Create a restore point and install the driver. If it is still slow then do a clean boot. If the computer operates normally in clean boot start enabling startup items and services a few at a time until you get the slowdown.

#9 cantwaittohateu

cantwaittohateu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:13 AM

Create a restore point and install the driver. If it is still slow then do a clean boot. If the computer operates normally in clean boot start enabling startup items and services a few at a time until you get the slowdown.

After uninstalling AVG my computer did get faster. I downloaded the Driver Identifier from the website you linked and it downloaded the driver which I installed. However I still get the ' No AMD graphics diver is installed' message and my screen is stuck in 1280x720 and everythings stretched. 

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:17 AM

Does the driver install in Safe Mode? Do you have a restore point before the problem?

Edit: If the driver does not install in Safe Mode then Download AMDs autodect utility. First in Normal Mode right click the AMD graphics device and select Uninstall then run the Utility. Do you have a serial number of the computer or the alpha numberic number after dv6?

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 October 2017 - 10:26 AM.

#11 cantwaittohateu

cantwaittohateu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:32 AM

Does the driver install in Safe Mode? Do you have a restore point before the problem?

Edit: If the driver does not install in Safe Mode then Download AMDs autodect utility. First in Normal Mode right click the AMD graphics device and select Uninstall then run the Utility. Do you have a serial number of the computer or the alpha numberic number after dv6?

dv6-6b60sa

I'll do as you requested just now. I don't have a restore point at all on my laptop apparently (just checked). It's like the AMD detect programs are getting confused between two different cards. I uninstalled the 7000M one and it come up that it was installing something, now I have 6450M.

Edit: Well 2 seconds ago I had 6450M, just checked and it's now 7400M. Maybe it's a problem with the actual graphics card? 

Edited by cantwaittohateu, 28 October 2017 - 10:50 AM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:50 AM

Here is your support site. I'm not sure if each driver needs to be downloaded but I would start with the Switchable if the AMD utility gives nothing.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-dv6-6b00-entertainment-notebook-pc-series/5145688/model/5204534

Note: The above is for 6b60se, I could not find a support site for the sa.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 October 2017 - 10:51 AM.

#13 cantwaittohateu

cantwaittohateu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 11:29 AM

Here is your support site. I'm not sure if each driver needs to be downloaded but I would start with the Switchable if the AMD utility gives nothing.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-dv6-6b00-entertainment-notebook-pc-series/5145688/model/5204534

Note: The above is for 6b60se, I could not find a support site for the sa.

The model is definitely dv6-6b60sa I just double checked it.

And before installing the switchable driver I got a message saying 'This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing this software'.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 01:10 PM

I am going to need to find the support site for that computer. Was this purchased in the U.S? Is there a serial number on the bottom of the laptop? It could also be in the battery compartment if the battery is the removable type.

#15 cantwaittohateu

cantwaittohateu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 01:15 PM

I am going to need to find the support site for that computer. Was this purchased in the U.S? Is there a serial number on the bottom of the laptop? It could also be in the battery compartment if the battery is the removable type.

No this was bought in the UK. 

The serial is 2CE1380DBB

Product QG797EA#ABU (don't know if this is any use to you but just incase!)

If all else fails I will do a full restore tomorrow. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users