Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Telling it like it is !

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:00 PM

Checking my emails this evening I was somewhat surprised to find this distinctly honest spam mail in my spam folder -

From: Chancellor of the Exchequer.  Subject:  ****SPAM****  FOR YOUR URGENT ATTENTION

For the benefit of those who are not familiar with the titles of senior UK Government Ministers, the Chancellor is roughly equivalent to the Secretary of the Treasury. Since he has the whole resources of the UK government at his beck and call I really feel he could use a .gov.uk email address instead of a gmail one.

Apart from giving me an attack of the giggles when I saw it, I think it is a distinctly fresh approach to sending spam. Needless to say it got dumped.

Chris Cosgrove

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:35 PM

Since he has the whole resources of the UK government at his beck and call I really feel he could use a .gov.uk email address instead of a gmail one.

Hillary Clinton used a  Gmail account during her tenure as secretary of state.

Edited by NickAu, 27 October 2017 - 06:36 PM.

#3 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,013 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:36 PM

Checking my emails this evening I was somewhat surprised to find this distinctly honest spam mail in my spam folder -

From: Chancellor of the Exchequer.  Subject:  ****SPAM****  FOR YOUR URGENT ATTENTION

For the benefit of those who are not familiar with the titles of senior UK Government Ministers, the Chancellor is roughly equivalent to the Secretary of the Treasury. Since he has the whole resources of the UK government at his beck and call I really feel he could use a .gov.uk email address instead of a gmail one.

Apart from giving me an attack of the giggles when I saw it, I think it is a distinctly fresh approach to sending spam. Needless to say it got dumped.

Chris Cosgrove

Like all the rest of spam we recieve occasionally , i say to myself ...why my email ?

1 / I had not sent any Mail to them.

2/  If its Goverment related then possibly legit ? But i dont recall telling them my Email.

3/  If it looks Suspicious - it probably is.

Overall i suspect everything as suspicious , Phone calls = Hangup or Lead Them on for awhile  , Spam Mail { Letter Box }  = Tear it Up.

If you didnt intend or request something that arrived via Post or Email = Then ring the Legit - Company / Service ...Directly and enquire further.

You have to be the one in Control ....not them.

I recall an old post i started from a Software Creator to fix any PC Problems , i listed as "Suspect" and so called BOB had a Gmail Email for Contact , Alarm Bells started Ringing !!!!!

I work for a Goverment Dept and its up to them to filter out the spam arrivals , but occasionally some noobs just rush and Click what they shouldnt and with over 2000 staff that have Accounts if will always happen at some stage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users