Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram issue got me beat

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 geo2k17

geo2k17

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 27 October 2017 - 02:35 PM

Hi all, Iam using Windows 10

I was playing a game on my PC when suddenly it crashed completely. Just Fzzz!!! and went dead/

I thought faulty RAM

After removing my video card, battery it still would not boot up.

I read somewhere to try taking the cables out of the HDD for a minute then put them back in and try.

That worked in as far I got a looping message in that dreaded Windows repair.

Screen came up offering me a choice but my mouse and keyboard No light not working.

Then suddenly it boots up with one stick of 4....then I try 2 sticks it boots up again 3 it boots up again 4 nothing although once when I put Ram no 4 in it gave out a long continuous beep so I quickly turned it off

Every other time I put in the last stick I got nothing...no beep no start

Problem solved I thought .........so I go out and buy a new Ram Stick

Shut down the PC put the Ram in the 4th slot and it's still dead as a dodo ;0(

So I take all the RAM sticks out and put the new ram in the offending chanel

PC boots up without a problem

I go through the whole thing again adding one stick at a time no problem until get to 4 and still wont start.

Obviously my Ram match ok as my PC was running ok.

Can anyone shed any light on what is suddenly causing this problem

Thanks in advance

Edited by geo2k17, 27 October 2017 - 02:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:55 PM

In 41 years of fixing these things and about 150,000 busted PC's, I have seen this about twice so it is mighty rare; but, either the system board has gone bad or one of the cards in a slot has gone bad and is conflicting with using the memory in slot 4. Both times I have seen this, it was the system board.
There is some slight chance that it is the CPU (the memory controllers are now in them); but, most especially if its an Intel CPU, my bet would be on the board itself.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 geo2k17

geo2k17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:32 PM

Thanks Davis...With odds like those I should have done the lottery :0)

I just tried taking all the ram out and working from 4 back to 1 adding one at atime and staring my PC each time...All went well until I put the last card into slot 1.

I did get a single beep and thought solved but Nope...tried again no beep.

Back to 3 sticks..leaving slot 1 empty this time.....no problem.

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:26 AM

Geo,
You had said in your first posting that it was slot 4 giving you the problem; but, now you say it is slot 1. You may well discover that it doesn't matter which slot is empty as long as one of them is if this is indeed what you are seeing.
The memory controller, which is part of the CPU chip, will automatically reassign which slot is used for which address space depending on the size of each module.
Is it an Intel CPU or an AMD?
Do you have any cards in PCI(E) slots? (especially PCI slots)
What is the make and model number of the system board?
What size are the memory modules?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:07 AM

Remove all but one RAM module that is know to work.  Try this in each DIMM slot, install the modules and start the computer, do this with the one module in each DIMM slot.  If the module works in all of the slots but one there is the possibility that there is a problem with the slot or there is something in the slot keeping the module from making proper contact.  Check the DIMM slot for any signs of arcing.  I would check the pins to be sure there is no corrosion.  A pencil eraser does a good job of cleaning these pins.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 geo2k17

geo2k17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:48 PM

Geo,
You had said in your first posting that it was slot 4 giving you the problem; but, now you say it is slot 1. You may well discover that it doesn't matter which slot is empty as long as one of them is if this is indeed what you are seeing.
The memory controller, which is part of the CPU chip, will automatically reassign which slot is used for which address space depending on the size of each module.
Is it an Intel CPU or an AMD?
Do you have any cards in PCI(E) slots? (especially PCI slots)
What is the make and model number of the system board?
What size are the memory modules?

Windows 10 Professional (x64) Version 1703 (build 15063.674)
Install Language: English (United States)

Installed: 6/16/2017 12:15:34 PM
Servicing Branch: Current Branch (CB)
Boot Mode: BIOS (Secure Boot not supported)
System Model No details available
Processor a 2.85 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
6144 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Not hyper-threaded
Main Circuit Board b Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5Q-E Rev 1.xx
Serial Number: MS1C86B23000023
Bus Clock: 333 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 2101 04/06/2009
Drives 639.66 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
62.51 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

ASUS DRW-24D5MT ATA Device [Optical drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

WDC WD6400AACS-00G8B1 [Hard drive] (640.13 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WCAUF2377437, rev 05.04C05, SMART Status: Healthy
Memory Modules c,d 6144 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' is Empty
Slot 'DIMM1' has 2048 MB
Slot 'DIMM2' has 2048 MB
Slot 'DIMM3' has 2048 MB Local Drive Volumes           c: (NTFS on drive 0) 639.66 GB 62.51 GB free     Network Drives None detected

{C}

Users (mouse over user name for details) {C} local user accounts last logon  Administrator 10/28/2017 12:14:41 PM (admin) local system accounts  DefaultAccount never    Guest never    HomeGroupUser$ never   Font Driver Host domain logons  UMFD-0 10/28/2017 12:00:52 PM    UMFD-1 10/28/2017 12:00:52 PM   {C}
Marks a disabled account; Marks a locked account
Printers {C} Foxit Editor PDF Printer on FoxitEditorPDF: HP DeskJet 5810 series on USB001 Microsoft Print To PDF on PORTPROMPT: Microsoft Shared Fax Driver on SHRFAX: Microsoft XPS Document Writer v4 on PORTPROMPT: Send to Microsoft OneNote 16 Driver on nul: Send To Microsoft OneNote 2010 Driver on nul:

{C}

Controllers Standard floppy disk controller
ATA Channel 0 [Controller] (2x)
ATA Channel 1 [Controller] (2x)
Intel® ICH10 Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2 - 3A26
Intel® ICH10 Family 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 1 - 3A20
Display NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 [Display adapter]
Generic Non-PnP Monitor

{C}

Bus Adapters Marvell 61xx RAID Controller
Marvell Storage Virtual Device
Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller
Intel® ICH10 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3A3A
Intel® ICH10 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3A3C
Intel® ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A34
Intel® ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A35
Intel® ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A36
Intel® ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A37
Intel® ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A38
Intel® ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A39 

#7 geo2k17

geo2k17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:51 PM

It seems like it can't cope with 4 x 2 GB since it crashed no matter which ones I use or which slots I use

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 28 October 2017 - 01:42 PM

That motherboard will support up to 16GB of RAM.

Are all of the modules the exact same modules.  Make, model, capacity, part number...

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 02:27 PM

As I already said, either an add-on card is conflicting with the memory space, the CPU has failed (its where the memory controller is), or the system board is bad.
If you have any add-on cards, take them out and try it. (You'll have to leave the video card in; but, take out the others)
You can try reseating the CPU chip if you have some thermal compound and are comfortable doing that.
But; my bet is that the system board has gone bad:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-P5Q-E-LGA-775-Intel-P45-ATX-Motherboard-I-O-Shield-C2D-E8600-3-33GHz-CPU/192219398422?hash=item2cc12b4116:g:YDwAAOSwRXRZRAwv

#10 geo2k17

geo2k17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 02:42 PM

That motherboard will support up to 16GB of RAM.

Are all of the modules the exact same modules.  Make, model, capacity, part number...

The Ram worked together for years before my pC crashed

#11 geo2k17

geo2k17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 02:45 PM

As I already said, either an add-on card is conflicting with the memory space, the CPU has failed (its where the memory controller is), or the system board is bad.
If you have any add-on cards, take them out and try it. (You'll have to leave the video card in; but, take out the others)
You can try reseating the CPU chip if you have some thermal compound and are comfortable doing that.
But; my bet is that the system board has gone bad:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-P5Q-E-LGA-775-Intel-P45-ATX-Motherboard-I-O-Shield-C2D-E8600-3-33GHz-CPU/192219398422?hash=item2cc12b4116:g:YDwAAOSwRXRZRAwv

I did have a creative sound card but it didn't work properly with windows 10 so I removed it a couple of months ago ....will try reseating ..thanks

#12 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:45 PM

Hi, probably the MB, the memory controller is in the chipset (Intel LGA775 based processors ) . Worth a try to download the latest chipset drivers, though I agree with Davis, looks like a hardware issue. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users