Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Toshiba XP Laptop Recovery Mode Work Around

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rwhite1

rwhite1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:33 PM

I need to reset my Toshiba A105 laptop with WINXP Media Center 2002 to the original factory conditions from the recovery partition. I need a workaround or hack because so far I have not been able to find any other way to do it given the condition of his laptop: 

1. The original Recovery Disk isn't available.

2. The boot menu does not have a system restore option any more (likely because the OS's have been updated thru WIN7 and WIN10-1607).

3. The "keep '0' pressed while turning on the laptop' does not work (likely because it is too old or the boot instructions have been replaced by the upgrades).

The hidden SYSTEM and HDDRECOVERY partitions appear to still be intact and the HDD passes CHKDSK. So I guess that leaves me looking for a stand-alone copy of a Toshiba Recovery Utility, another utility, or hack to do it.

I would appreciate knowing if anyone has any ideas how to do this or can direct me to other sites that specialize in this type of problem.

Thank you for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,494 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 27 October 2017 - 02:53 PM

Have you tried tapping the zero key at power up instead of holding it down?

Do you have the following? Start > All Programs > Hard Disk Recovery Utilities? There may be an option to create recovery CDs or DVDs if not done so already.

Can you post a screenshot of Disk Management? I'm not sure it will work but possibly making the HDDRecovery partition active may force the recovery partition to boot at startup.

#3 rwhite1

rwhite1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:47 PM

1.Tried "0" - no joy

2. No recovery utility.

3. Great fresh idea. Will a try.

Thanks

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,494 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 02:19 PM

I have no idea if it will work but if changing the HDDrecovery partition to active does not cause it to boot download the Media Creator. It may be able  to access the partition to create a bootable disk(s).

https://support.toshiba.com/support/viewContentDetail?contentId=4001096

XP Media Center 2002 Edition was a weird duck. I believe the install came on 2 CDs.

#5 rwhite1

rwhite1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 04:54 PM

Problem solved. Thanks for you ideas.

I cheated. I used a non-techie solution.

I went to the local computer club and borrowed an original recovery disk.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,494 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 05:01 PM

Your Welcome,

Whatever works.  :) Thanks for taking the time to post an update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users