Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Call of Duty problems .................... please help!!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Slime58

Slime58

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:37 PM

Hi guys and gals.

I have a Windows 10 laptop and have just installed my old Call of Duty, Game of the Year Edition.

The problem is that it just wont run!!

I get an 'Access Denied' box that says 'Please login with administrator privileges and try again'.

When I try to run it as the administrator, nothing happens at all.

I've googled my problem but I find things just so confusing.

Can anyone give me a solution in simple English please.

Many thanks,

Slime58.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 04:27 PM

I just now noticed your post; I don't usually stop in here since I am not a gamer (except for the MechWarrior series, but that was back in the day). Are you still interested in this thread?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me but no guarantee I will respond.

#3 Slime58

Slime58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 05:59 PM

Hey ranchhand_

Yes please ........................... if there is a simple solution.

Many thanks.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:43 PM

There is a small utility that I use when faced with your type of problem; what it does is add a command in the mouse-RIGHT click shell menu, Take Ownership. This gives you what is called "ownership" of any file or folder that is on your drive. I have used the Window 7 version for years. Although I have never used the W10 version, it comes from the same author so I assume that it will work for you also.

> Go Here and download Take Ownership from the number 2 header. Save to your desktop.

> Double-click on the file to install. You may be prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge (from the website instructions).
> Now open Explore, and find the installation folder for your game.

> Right click once on the installation folder (not the .exe file for launching the game, the folder for the entire game).

> Hopefully you will see the in the shell menu, "Take Ownership"; there is a picture on the website of what it looks like.

> Left click once on that, and in a second or two you will get the success message. Now try to launch the game, no reboot is required.

You can delete the original install file if you wish; I usually save the installation files for these handy utilities for future use, but it's up to you.

Please let me know how it goes, I really like the Windows 7 version but I have never used the W10 version.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me but no guarantee I will respond.

#5 Slime58

Slime58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:50 PM

Hi mate

I've tried what you suggested but I just get the 'Please login with administrator privileges and try again'.

Any other thoughts?

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2017 - 06:50 PM

I see that you are running XP, and unfortunately I have not used it in so long that I don't remember how to go from here. I think there may be a way to access a hidden Administrator account through an elevated command, but I would have to research it. I am surprised that Take Ownership did not work, I used it once on my old XP box and it worked.

Sorry...if I run across anything that might help I will post back.

[EDIT]:  afterthought: you might check if you are running as Administrator; here is a link that explains how to check that, and use the Administrator account if you are not.

Edited by ranchhand_, 02 November 2017 - 07:15 PM.

#7 samwiseOrgin

samwiseOrgin

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 03 November 2017 - 02:30 AM

Please specify the following 

How did you acquire this game?

Which series CoD are we talking about?

What's your OS, CPU, GPU and Ram?

#8 Slime58

Slime58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:53 AM

I see that you are running XP, and unfortunately I have not used it in so long that I don't remember how to go from here. I think there may be a way to access a hidden Administrator account through an elevated command, but I would have to research it. I am surprised that Take Ownership did not work, I used it once on my old XP box and it worked.

Sorry...if I run across anything that might help I will post back.

[EDIT]:  afterthought: you might check if you are running as Administrator; here is a link that explains how to check that, and use the Administrator account if you are not.

I'm actually running Windows 10. Why did you think I was on XP?

Please specify the following 

How did you acquire this game?

Which series CoD are we talking about?

What's your OS, CPU, GPU and Ram?

I bought the game when it first came out as the 'Game of the Year' edition. It comes with Call of Duty and United Offensive. Maybe 2004 ish.

My laptop is an Asus with Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7 6500U CPU, 12GGB of Ram and Intel HD Graphics 520 GPU

Thanks guys,

Slime58

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 04:05 PM

If you click on your login name (blue, upper left of screen) you spec XP as your operating system.

#10 Slime58

Slime58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 05:51 PM

If you click on your login name (blue, upper left of screen) you spec XP as your operating system.

Sorry fella.

I forgot to update than when I upgraded my laptop :whistle: .

#11 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 05:46 PM

This is a thought that crossed my mind...you said this is an old game. Is there any way to check what the system requirements are for this game? If it is that old, it may not run on modern equipment.

Again, I am not a gamer so I am out of my area here, but I know that old games can get really crabby when run on modern equipment.

#12 Slime58

Slime58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 05:58 PM

Hi

It was made to run on Windows 98/ME/2000/XP.

I was wondering whether anyone knew of a work around to enable it for Windows 10.

Slime58

#13 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:26 PM

run on Windows 98/ME/2000/XP

Are you sure about that? If you have the dust cover, does it list all those OSs?  98 and ME were DOS based OSs, and 2000 and XP were NTFS based OSs; how to get old DOS games to run on NTFS is a constant question in this forum. In order to get a DOS game to run on an NTFS machine usually requires a virtual machine emulator, IOW a program that loads into memory and emulates a DOS environment. I am thinking that is the way you will have to go if this game is DOS based. I have an old WIndows 98 box that I keep running only for old games. In addition to that, if you have a latest technology box the new equipment may not even work with an older coded game, all kinds of glitches can happen. Or not. It's chancey.

I have never seen a standalone, CD game that advertises that it will run on both systems.

#14 Slime58

Slime58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:59 AM

run on Windows 98/ME/2000/XP

Are you sure about that? If you have the dust cover, does it list all those OSs?  98 and ME were DOS based OSs, and 2000 and XP were NTFS based OSs; how to get old DOS games to run on NTFS is a constant question in this forum. In order to get a DOS game to run on an NTFS machine usually requires a virtual machine emulator, IOW a program that loads into memory and emulates a DOS environment. I am thinking that is the way you will have to go if this game is DOS based. I have an old WIndows 98 box that I keep running only for old games. In addition to that, if you have a latest technology box the new equipment may not even work with an older coded game, all kinds of glitches can happen. Or not. It's chancey.

I have never seen a standalone, CD game that advertises that it will run on both systems.

Absolutely positive;

https://i.imgur.com/wYeL1wK.png

#15 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:39 PM

Yup, you are right; I would like to know how they can do that. Interesting.

The only other thing I can suggest is to run as an administrator in compatibility mode for Windows XP.

Maybe you have already tried that, but it's worth a shot. Here is a guide for Windows 10 (toward the bottom of the screen). I hope it helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users