Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Most bizarre thing I've ever experienced...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 HouseHosted

HouseHosted

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:58 AM

[Solved! System restore saves the day!] Hey there,

I plugged in my mouse earlier today and shortly, within moments, my keyboard began acting up in a very odd way. The alt+tab dialogue would stay open until I pressed tab a second time, pressing tab in windows would cycle focus very quickly (without holding), pressing keys would somehow activate the enter button, and caps lock and num lock would only turn off... I restarted but the problem persisted. Typing into the login screen would hit enter, so I couldn't even login. Yea, and there's more. After unplugging the battery to try to get a handle on the situation, upon troubleshooting why the processing speed seemed so bogged down, I learned that AMD's drivers had somehow corrupted or something. (The Radeon settings wouldn't open. It just gave a message saying the version wasn't supported...)

The good news is: AMD's drivers are functioning again, though, I had to use a different version (17.7.2) than what was installed (17.9.3). Did a clean install and everything. Your guess is as good as mine. The bad news is: the processing speed is still atrocious. The login screen after logging in now does this strange thing with the little dots that go around in circles. They'll finish doing their thing and then the screen will flicker or something, and then they'll come back, albeit only at around 5 or ten fps. And yea, programs have now a scary overall performance. I don't know what to do.

Here's what I've done:

1) Malwarebytes, Sophos, Housecall (to make sure it wasn't malware somehow).

2) RKill which returned nothing and Autoruns which showed last new value was from a couple days ago with Steam).

3) Cleared out all temp files and random garbage...

4) Cried inside because the issue is still there.

tl;dr Crazy performance drop everywhere! Can I expect anything from using the repair Windows option in the recovery menu? I'll try a system restore point (if there is one) and write back if the issue resolves itself.

Toshiba S50-B, i7-4510U, R7 M260, 8GB RAM. I can put whatever else you need too. Thank you for any and all help!

Edited by HouseHosted, 27 October 2017 - 01:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:44 PM

A screen shot from Task Manager or SysInternals Process Explorer, or both would be a good starting point. 

Publishing a Speccy system snapshot and provide the web address for it in your next message would be a huge added bonus.  Here are downloadable step-by-step instructions for doing this:

- Using Speccy,  PDF Format 
                     - Using Speccy,  MS-Word Format

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 HouseHosted

HouseHosted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:59 PM

Thanks for the reply, bitechguy. I did a system restore and now the issue has been resolved. It's crazy to think how many times system restore has saved my behind in the past. I honestly didn't think it'd help.

So my guess is: my mouse driver had somehow become unstable and caused a whole ruckus of my computer. This is something I'd never thought a computer could behave like.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users