Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Amazon Key ~ Thoughts ~ Would you Purchase?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:27 AM

My post is only sharing. It's purpose is not an advertisement or to promote any product or service from Amazon.

I just received an email that Amazon is introducing their new Amazon Key <In-home delivery and guest access> What??? Once you read what this product is all about, I'd enjoy your thoughts, would you buy the Amazon Key In-Home kit <or similar> for parcel deliveries? Even for family, friends, house cleaners, and dog walkers <etc.> to use?

Link for the entire spiel:

https://www.amazon.com/b?&node=17285120011&ref_=pe_3455620_258731120_em_ecg_bor_bs_ann_func

I frequently buy items from Amazon and I very much like my prime membership, however, I’m not keen on this new product/service, specific for parcel deliveries, regardless if it’s provided by Amazon or any other online source. The simple reason I wouldn't buy this, is it’s important for me to do the best I can to stay in charge of the privacy, security, and treasures in my home. My belief is if I willingly give access to the interior of my home, I run the risk of less than a desirable outcome. Even with the immediate notification with this <particular> system <app> that my door has been opened, items delivered and the door re-locked, along with my ability to watch the delivery take place, there’s that unfortunate chance that within seconds bad things could happen. When I bought my first house, I learned quickly to keep my garage door closed, not because it wasn’t a showcase, however, to “keep the honest, honest.” With this new Amazon Key service, I would not want to be that “one” case where the individual who has access to the inside of my home would not be honest. I would be mortified if that one tiny item that can never be replaced is quickly put into a pocket.

What are your thoughts? Do you have any experiences with something like this?  :)

<Snips> 

♣Get packages just inside your front door. Shop on Amazon and select “FREE in-home delivery” at checkout. On delivery day, we’ll notify you just before the delivery. Amazon will authorize the delivery and unlock your door. You can watch the delivery live in the Amazon Key App or see a video of it later. We’ll notify you once the delivery is complete and your door is relocked.

♣Not at home? Not a problem. As a Prime member, get your Amazon packages securely delivered just inside your front door. Plus, grant access to the people you trust, like your family, friends, dog walker, or house cleaner – no more leaving a key under the mat.

In closing, I know that there are many other options available to enhance surveillance of the activity around  exterior access points of a property. If I reach the need to monitor the deliveries of items at my front door, I'd probably go that route. <Laughing, I'd need to conduct a survey here as to the best way to accomplish that! We could ask Grinler to start a DIY forum category  :lmao: >

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:46 PM

Never had heard of this, thanks for posting softeyes.
With the way things are going, many will probably avail themselves of this new service who can justify the price of convenience offered, present company (wife and I) excluded.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:20 PM

For myself, never.   The potential for abuse from many directions is just too high.   I particularly don't like the "eye in the sky" setup inside the home that this system employs.  An article in the Washington Post by Christine Emba pretty much sums up my feelings, and the reservations I have about this service (which, for me, isn't a service but an invasion of privacy.  But that doesn't mean that anyone else has to share that perspective):

Amazon Key is Silicon Valley at its most out-of-touch

Edited by britechguy, 27 October 2017 - 01:21 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#4 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,591 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2017 - 02:08 PM

It can't be all bad. I did see this article.

Lord Jesus No Longer Standing At Door And Knocking, Just Letting Self In With Amazon Key
Satire

http://babylonbee.com/news/lord-jesus-no-longer-standing-door-knocking-just-letting-self-amazon-key/

ETA: On the other, be forewarned!

‘What Could Go Wrong With Amazon Key?’ Asks Man Who’s Never Watched Single Sci-Fi Film
Satire

http://babylonbee.com/news/go-wrong-amazon-key-asks-man-whos-never-watched-single-sci-fi-film/

Edited by Bezukhov, 27 October 2017 - 02:31 PM.

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#5 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 28 October 2017 - 05:49 AM

I can see how it would be attractive to those in apartments or condos. But, I also see it as a dream job for a serial killer...

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#6 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,591 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:21 AM

I can see how it would be attractive to those in apartments or condos. But, I also see it as a dream job for a serial killer...

Funny you should mention that. Amazon is already working on it.

Popular New Amazon Service Just Comes To Your House And Kills You
Satire

https://www.theonion.com/popular-new-amazon-service-just-comes-to-your-house-and-1819917496
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#7 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,051 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:55 AM

OH HELL NO!

If anyone gets this all I can say is "You're A Trusting Soul" leave it to Amazon to come up with an idea this stupid although I believe there are people stupid enough to use it.

Edited by The-Toolman, 28 October 2017 - 07:59 AM.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.

(Mark Twain)

Inspiration can be found in a pile of junk. Sometimes, you can put it together with a good imagination and invent something.

(Thomas Edison)

#8 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:08 AM

@Bezukhov

Ya gotta love the onion!

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#9 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 11:16 AM

The Amazon Blues

After comin' home from work
I was shocked to my soul
Everything inside was gone