Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mint Kills off the KDE edition (for those who may be using Mint KDE)

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 4,909 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:12 AM

You are Awesome Rocky Bennett!!!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#32 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:37 PM

Hey pcpunk,

The only KDE Linux distro I tried was Kubuntu 14.04.

It was cool but just too much for me.

Any icons such as Firefox and a few others I placed on the desktop would move up and down until whichever I had ticked was opened.

I have no idea about any other KDE version of Linux as Kubuntu wasn't impressive to me.

Basic and Boring Rocks. :guitar: 

Functionality is what I find to be important not the Eye Candy which is great for those who enjoy that. :thumbup2:

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#33 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:53 PM

You are Awesome Rocky Bennett!!!

Us non KDE users ain't Awesome and Cool as the KDE users. :P

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#34 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:03 PM

The bouncing cursor can easily be turned off.

bounce1.png

bounce2.png

One thing I miss when I use desktops other than KDE, are the Special Application Settings, that allow me to set specific applications to always open in specific positions on my desktop. I haven't come across this feature in any desktop other than KDE.

specialappsettings.png

#35 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 4,909 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:01 PM

Hey pcpunk,

The only KDE Linux distro I tried was Kubuntu 14.04.

Give Mint KDE 17.3 a good try out.  The Lancelot Menu is the best coolest eye candy of a menu I've seen on a OOTB Desktop! but you have to add it from the Panel.  I'm quite sure you can do this on a Live Session.  The Default Menu is nice enough, but lancelot is super.  What you can't see in this pic below, is the little clear bubble that rides under your cursor when you are on top of a selection.

Here is a pick of MINE

HERE is a pic of a bunch of apps open in Mint KDE 17.1 which I still run on an old laptop.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#36 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,683 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:30 AM

Al, thanks for stepping in and showing how the bouncing effect (or busy one) can be turned off. :)

As far as the demise of the Linux Mint KDE goes, well it speaks for itself, coming in at dead last or tied with LMDE (it's fallback option) only helped Clem to make a decision now. That would be to pour more cash into a sinkhole (Linux Mint doesn't have the budgets of Apple, Canonical nor Microsoft) which could be better used for it's mainstream editions that does have a growing user base. Note that when Microsoft (as well as some 3rd party developers) killed off Vista before EOL, hardly a word was spoken in rebuttal. At one time, Vista did serve a purpose, keeping Windows desktop usage above the 90% mark (over the rest) & justified support, once that no longer happened, was kicked to the curve, nearly a year before EOL. 

Same principle applies here, Linux Mint KDE is dead weight for the team to carry, no longer gaining user share (obviously is losing), the Mint brand will continue to climb the charts w/out KDE. Cinnamon has an endless target audience, MATE is also hanging tough, there's LMDE for Debian users, and finally Xfce for those who prefers a bare install where either a minimal DE is required, or the user wants to add what's only needed & skip what's not. 

Finally & to revisit the pouring of cash into a sinkhole, Mint depends on Ubuntu to deliver Kubuntu first, then add more bloat on top of that with their KDE version. Does the effort that requires both cash infusions & extra labor make good business sense? Of course not. Only if Mint can create their own in-house KDE that doesn't require waiting on Kubuntu to be passed to them, they can then (hopefully) justify the effort. That is, if there's a demand for KDE that's as strong as Cinnamon & MATE, of which there isn't. If that were the case, then there would be no need nor demand for Cinnamon. 

As I stated in my first post in this Topic, this is a business decision & not a personal one, so may as well move on & live with it. Clem isn't likely to change his mind, regardless of how strong the argument for keeping the venerable DE around that in a World of nearly thousands of distros, KDE has among the smallest user base of all. Google 'Top KDE distros' and there's only between 10-15 that pops up, which is far less than most of the rest. On the other hand, there's endless Xfce distros, and MATE has been adopted by more than KDE's combined user base. 

Those who likes Mint KDE may as well move on to Kubuntu & be done with it, from what I'm reading, the main reason why folks doesn't like this, it's either that, or a fear of getting out from under the safety of the Ubuntu umbrella (can't break away from .deb installers). Which is not a good reason to choose a DE, or distro for that matter, it was over a year after running Linux Mint when I discovered the distro was built on the back of Ubuntu. When one wants the real KDE, needs to be looking elsewhere, Kubuntu is simply a DE with Ubuntu's touches applied. That's all & no more. The pure KDE DE's are from other sources, with OpenSuse being one of the top choices, Google also has their version, as well as Canonical. :)

Speaking of business, KDE isn't 100% free, those who distributes the distros must pay to do so. Maybe Canonical wanted their 'fair share' from Clem & he gave them a middle finger! :lol:

KDE Patrons[edit]

A KDE Patron pays from 5000 Euro (depending on the companies size).[106] As of May 2017 there are 5: Blue SystemsCanonical Ltd.GoogleSUSE, and The Qt Company

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDE

So out of 5 as of this year (2017), there's 4 KDE Patrons that's outside of the Canonical (Ubuntu) family. :)

Cat

ASUS Z97-PRO Gamer PC. EVGA GTX 1070 FTW + ACX 3.0 8GB GDDR5 GPU! 4K!  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/w3mBsNE6cJXW7on5sbNTFDc  (Updated 10/07/2017)

ASRock Z97 Extreme6, EVGA GTX 1060 FTW + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/tbdS4YKHBvWROeKETAMBRKk  (Updated 04/12/2017))                                                                       

Dell XPS 8700, Revived from the Dead, EVGA GTX 1060 SSC + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/KrNXc5IZ6HmJvrrLVSZbGzi  (Updated 05/17/2017)

ASUS 970 PRO Gaming AURA, with a cool running AMD Phenom x4 965 CPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/c0aVnEnmxFmqX5Pf1nOhCKf   (Updated 10/10/2017)

Dell Dimension 2400 Rebuild, Done the Right Way! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/MLv5xbYuI2vsLqvtS4PaDGB  (Updated 10/20/2017)

#37 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 4,909 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:56 AM

I tried to use Kubuntu, but the layout was not as good as Mint in my opinion.  So will plug on intill Mint KDE dies and then move on, simple as that.  I will visit the 18.xx Mint KDE and see if that will work for me.  I've also been wanting to learn Ubuntu.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#38 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,993 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:13 AM

Eh with the switch to gnome shell I would not really use ubuntu until they actually make gnome into something nice.

If you are going to change your DE or distro I say Ubuntu MATE may be the better choice going forward.

Or if you wanted to stay with Mint go with its cinnamon offering, right now cinnamon is right on par if not better than the recent Plasma 5.

Cinnamon has made a lot of progress.

The only other one i could suggest for KDE is Manjaro as even though its not ubuntu it has a very solid KDE user experience.

That is if you want to stay in the Ubuntu family, then Maui

Edited by MadmanRB, 09 November 2017 - 10:15 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#39 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,683 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 05:20 AM

Eh with the switch to gnome shell I would not really use ubuntu until they actually make gnome into something nice.

If you are going to change your DE or distro I say Ubuntu MATE may be the better choice going forward.

Or if you wanted to stay with Mint go with its cinnamon offering, right now cinnamon is right on par if not better than the recent Plasma 5.

Cinnamon has made a lot of progress.

The only other one i could suggest for KDE is Manjaro as even though its not ubuntu it has a very solid KDE user experience.

+1! :thumbup2:

If one's into KDE for the eye candy alone, then Mint Cinnamon should please many, lots of progress made over the last two LTS releases. :)

Therein lies the issue, many doesn't want to go to a pure (closer to home) KDE distro because that would mean a slight (two week :P) learning curve that's too bitter of a pill to swallow. Being hooked on .deb installers & easy methods of adding PPA's, most would give up KDE altogether before getting out from under the safety of Ubuntu, making Cinnamon looking to be a better choice after all. :)

My guess is that at least 80% of those who'll eventually have no choice other than to leave Mint KDE behind & doesn't like Kubuntu will end up running Mint Cinnamon or MATE (Mint or Ubuntu). :thumbup2:

All of those asking Clem to keep Mint KDE are wasting their keystrokes, as soon as he sees the subject line in an email, hits the trash bin. In his couple of blogs that I've read, Clem has held firm to to his decision, if he were to back down now, would be viewed as a weak leader. Having the World's 4th leading desktop OS, there's no room for weakness to be on display, not when he has a legit shot at surpassing iOS usage at some point. Come EOL of both Windows 7 & 8.1, Cinnamon will only grow more & would be in contention for a move up to #3 (as would Ubuntu to #2). Not too shabby for one who got into this just 11 years back. :thumbsup:

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 10 November 2017 - 05:21 AM.

ASUS Z97-PRO Gamer PC. EVGA GTX 1070 FTW + ACX 3.0 8GB GDDR5 GPU! 4K!  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/w3mBsNE6cJXW7on5sbNTFDc  (Updated 10/07/2017)

ASRock Z97 Extreme6, EVGA GTX 1060 FTW + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/tbdS4YKHBvWROeKETAMBRKk  (Updated 04/12/2017))                                                                       

Dell XPS 8700, Revived from the Dead, EVGA GTX 1060 SSC + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/KrNXc5IZ6HmJvrrLVSZbGzi  (Updated 05/17/2017)

ASUS 970 PRO Gaming AURA, with a cool running AMD Phenom x4 965 CPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/c0aVnEnmxFmqX5Pf1nOhCKf   (Updated 10/10/2017)

Dell Dimension 2400 Rebuild, Done the Right Way! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/MLv5xbYuI2vsLqvtS4PaDGB  (Updated 10/20/2017)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users