Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mint Kills off the KDE edition (for those who may be using Mint KDE)

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,940 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:35 AM

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3418

So yeah Mint KDE is dead for those here who may be here and use it.
Its rather sad but hey the Mint team is very focused on Cinnamon right now.

But if you are a Mint KDE user where do you go?
Here is my collection of good KDE distros to try all with pros and cons.

Manjaro Linux KDE: https://manjaro.org/
Manjaro Linux is based on arch linux but offers a nice out of the box experience and codec support for those who need it.
Pros: nice KDE setup, great community
Cons: arch can mess up due to its rolling nature and breakages can happen

Maui Linux: https://mauilinux.org/
Maui is based on KDE neon but on top of a ubuntu base (currently Ubuntu 16.04) with loads of built in customization.
Pros: another nice KDE setup, Ubuntu base for those who like stability.
Cons: A rather small community, support may be a little slow if you have an issue (though its popularity is growing)

Mageia Linux: http://www.mageia.org/en/
Mageia is a call back to the days of Mandrake/Mandriva linux and offers a nice and easy setup tool to install multimedia codecs and the like.
Pros: Again another nice KDE setup, and is quite stable.
Cons: again small community, plus packages are not as common as on both Arch and ubuntu.

SolydXK: https://solydxk.com/
SolydXK is a debian based distro focused on stability and ease of use, it also inherits a lot of linux Mint tools such as mint update.
Pros: Again nice and clean KDE setup, codecs come pre installed. Good community as well.
Cons: No PPA support, and debian stable is very static.

And yes its weird but a lot of my favorite KDE distros all have M's in them.
If you are wondering where Kubuntu is at... well i dont really care for Kubuntu, KDE really gets the short end of the stick in Ubuntu.

Edited by Al1000, 27 October 2017 - 01:24 PM.
typo in title

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 5,939 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:17 PM

But if you are a Mint KDE user where do you go?

Good question.

Until recently I was using Kubuntu 17.04 on my laptop, but found it too unstable. I replaced it with Mint 18 Cinnamon, but am planning on installing something else with the KDE desktop soon, possibly Kubuntu 16.04.

I used to use Kubuntu 14.04 on my 10 year old desktop pc, but replaced it with Debian 8 KDE, which is what I'm using just now. Both Kubuntu 14.04 and Debian 8 are/were very stable, but I thought Kubuntu was becoming too "clunky" for this old pc.

What do you not like about Kubuntu? I have always preferred it to Mint KDE.

Edited by Al1000, 27 October 2017 - 01:20 PM.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,940 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:17 PM

Eh for me Kubuntu has always been the unwanted stepchild of the ubuntu family.

It never really has had that great of a KDE experience compared to other distros.

Even Fedora's KDE edition seems far better and its KDE is rather poor too.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#4 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 654 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:45 PM

I used Kubuntu 14.04 for a little while and it does have the eye candy and is cool looking.

I found it more complicated to use than other Linux distros as it had to many gadgets for my taste.

I like old school plain and simple user desktop and if one is willing to learn it I'm sure it's an excellent desktop.

Linux Peppermint 7 (64 Bit) Dell Dimension E521 (06 / 11 / 2007) / Amd Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Processor (2.1 GHz, 1024 KB L2 Cache, rev. G1, Socket AM2) / Samsung Memory DDR2, 4.0 GB, 533 MHz FSB / Nvidia GeForce 6150 LE [C51] Integrated Graphics Adapter.

Linux Peppermint 8 (32 Bit) / Dell Optiplex 360 (11 / 28 / 2008) / Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6300 Conroe (1.86 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB, 2M Cache, LGA 775 Socket) / DDR2 Memory 3.0 GB, 800 MHz FSB / Graphics Card Nvidia GeForce 7300 LE [G72] PCIE.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 4,888 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:47 PM

I can't say enough positive things about Mint's KDE 17.xx, it is so nice to use, and the way things move around on the desktop makes me smile as I've stated before here years ago.  Kubuntu was good as well but the Mint version just had a better layout for me.  In Mint, the Version of Dolphin I felt was just a better layout also.  I think Kubuntu was always a Version ahead of Mint in lot's of the Software.

I'll use it till it dies for sure, and, want to try Mint's 18.xx Version also, but heard it is too much of a departure from the old to keep us 17 Version lovers happy.  Always liked Cinnamon but the darn Menu isn't Expandable, and I just can't live without that.  I detest digging in the Menu, Scrolling etc. to find things I can't remember the names of LOL.  In KDE and Mate you can easily expand the menu, and in Xfce also.

pc out

Edited by pcpunk, 27 October 2017 - 06:58 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:31 AM

I'm trying Maui Linux and KDE Neon right now, I like how Maui Linux uses the Mint Updater but the downside it doesn't have a software center you have to use the Synaptic Package Manager I wonder if would be possible to install the Kubuntu software center, and KDE Neon has it's own software center but I don't like the updater its seems a little to liberal with what it whats to install.

Maybe I'll better of installing KDE on top of Linux Mint XFCE. Only time will tell.

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 10,544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:50 PM

Hi

I know you can install Muon ( Kubuntu software center )  in Ubuntu by running.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install muon

I do not know if its the same in Maui.  Maybe you could test it in a Virtual machine.

Nick

Edited by NickAu, 30 October 2017 - 09:42 PM.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,940 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:55 PM

Maui is Ubuntu based so yes that should work.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,670 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:05 AM

The developers at Linux Mint has to remain focused on distros that it's users are actually running (evidenced by download numbers & forum requests for assistance). Mint has maintained has KDE (it's first distro), Xfce, MATE (formerly Gnome or Main edition), LMDE (as stated in the OP's linked article a fallback option) & of course it's now top dog in Cinnamon. :)

That stated, working on a much tighter budget than Canonical (the distributor of Ubuntu & other distros), had to make a hard decision in order to maintain the distros that are actually moving. Especially Cinnamon & MATE, their top two, being that MATE uses hardly any more resources than Xfce, could drop the latter also, yet it helped get Mint on the charts years back, and while KDE has owned the lowest usershare for a long time, being Mint's very first release, had to be just as hard on Clement Lefebvre as anyone to let go. It's a business decision, not a personal one. 

Don't be surprised to see Xfce being the next axed. As both Mint KDE & Xfce both gets their upgrades long after release (neither are controlled by Ubuntu). Meaning that the latest Mint KDE (& Xfce) has appeared in some other distro 5-6 months beforehand & may have already been upgraded again, PCLinuxOS is one distro that was once based solely on KDE, am sure that there's others that still are. Same for Xfce. As stated above, MATE uses hardly any more resources & fully featured, oddly the Xfce ISO is almost the same size, yet has a lot less packed in. Of course, there are fully loaded Xfce distros that at first glance may not notice until digging around (Peach OSI). only they don't support their own distro very well, leaving it to these Linux communities to handle issues. 

I'm positive that Mint KDE users will adjust & find a suitable distro, may as well bite the bullet & be looking for an option now, while Mint KDE may be supported for a while to come, don't expect many new features to be added (other than what ships with the bundle from Ubuntu). There are other KDE versions in active development (some not under the Ubuntu roof) that gets upgrades faster, and as stated prior, the only edition carried. Changing from one KDE distro to another would be a lot less painful than switching the entire platform altogether (example, going from KDE to Xfce). I'm positive that there'll be KDE distros available for a long time to come, both within & outside of the Ubuntu umbrella, of which most Mint distros are based upon. :)

Cat

ASUS Z97-PRO Gamer PC. EVGA GTX 1070 FTW + ACX 3.0 8GB GDDR5 GPU! 4K!  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/w3mBsNE6cJXW7on5sbNTFDc  (Updated 10/07/2017)

ASRock Z97 Extreme6, EVGA GTX 1060 FTW + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/tbdS4YKHBvWROeKETAMBRKk  (Updated 04/12/2017))                                                                       

Dell XPS 8700, Revived from the Dead, EVGA GTX 1060 SSC + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/KrNXc5IZ6HmJvrrLVSZbGzi  (Updated 05/17/2017)

ASUS 970 PRO Gaming AURA, with a cool running AMD Phenom x4 965 CPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/c0aVnEnmxFmqX5Pf1nOhCKf   (Updated 10/10/2017)

Dell Dimension 2400 Rebuild, Done the Right Way! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/MLv5xbYuI2vsLqvtS4PaDGB  (Updated 10/20/2017)

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 4,888 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:38 PM

Simple solution...Kubuntu!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,670 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:03 AM

Simple solution...Kubuntu!

That's one, yet there's many others, some may be better, just have to learn the ropes, as most non-Ubuntu releases doesn't support .deb packages that are popular with many new (& long time) Linux users. :)

With that stated, there's some good KDE distros outside of the Ubuntu umbrella that gets upgraded faster. That's one of the issues with Mint KDE (& Xfce), they have to wait for the Ubuntu version (which they must also wait for & configure), by the time Mint gets it, there's likely a newer KDE elsewhere. Am not sure which group controls KDE (or Xfce), yet they're going to have the most up to date version with less bloat versus big names that adds custom packages around the base. That's one issue that would concern me, every time KDE gets passed down, gets more & more bloated, making for a heavier distro for some computers to run. The same has happened to MATE, as well as Cinnamon, both in-house Linux Mint original releases. Another reason why working on their own projects consumes less resources than passed down distro bases. Even LMDE requires extra resources, yet it's a fallback option should Ubuntu become forked in the future & cannot be accessed as a base for Cinnamon & MATE, as well as Xfce (likely the next on the chopping block).

So if I were running KDE & it's my preferred distro, would be looking as close to it's main source as possible. Or distros that stays up to date w/out excessive delay of the latest base. :)

Although am positive, by the reading of some of the comments in the link provided by the OP, that Mint KDE will be sorely missed. :(

Cat

ASUS Z97-PRO Gamer PC. EVGA GTX 1070 FTW + ACX 3.0 8GB GDDR5 GPU! 4K!  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/w3mBsNE6cJXW7on5sbNTFDc  (Updated 10/07/2017)

ASRock Z97 Extreme6, EVGA GTX 1060 FTW + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/tbdS4YKHBvWROeKETAMBRKk  (Updated 04/12/2017))                                                                       

Dell XPS 8700, Revived from the Dead, EVGA GTX 1060 SSC + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/KrNXc5IZ6HmJvrrLVSZbGzi  (Updated 05/17/2017)

ASUS 970 PRO Gaming AURA, with a cool running AMD Phenom x4 965 CPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/c0aVnEnmxFmqX5Pf1nOhCKf   (Updated 10/10/2017)

Dell Dimension 2400 Rebuild, Done the Right Way! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/MLv5xbYuI2vsLqvtS4PaDGB  (Updated 10/20/2017)

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 10,544 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 03:27 PM

That's one of the issues with Mint KDE (& Xfce), they have to wait for the Ubuntu version

Well if they didn't use Ubuntu updates and such they wouldn't have to wait as you call it. Remember Distros like Mint are basically Ubuntu with a different DE and a few different apps installed.

There is nothing Mint can do that Ubuntu cant.

Ubuntu 1 distro to rule them all.

#13 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,940 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 03:38 PM

Linux Mint does have cinnamon though and a lot of cool nice tools

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 10,544 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 03:55 PM

Ubuntu_family_tree_11-06.png

#15 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,940 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:11 PM

There is also another advantage to Linux Mint though it does have a Debian Edition just in case Ubuntu ever falls apart

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users