Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some Small Images Not Appearing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kimkia

Kimkia

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 21 September 2006 - 10:59 PM

I run a popular craft site, and this issue is driving me bananas. In the last few weeks, my Compag Presario Windows XP computer will not display some small images on certain pages of my site (and on some other sites as well), yet my husband's computer (almost identical) displays the pages just fine. The example that I'm using to check this out is at: http://www.allfreecrafts.com/halloween/index.shtml

I've researched the issue, and followed most of the options, except number 10, described at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283807, including uninstalling and reinstalling NIS. I've also tried System Restore, but none of the dozen or so dates that I picked would work.

I think it's an encoding problem, and I can sometimes get the images to display if I check Western European IS0 manually under the view, encoding menu. However, it's very flaky. Sometimes, I can view the page with Western European ISO selected, and images are still missing. Then I refresh again with Western European (Windows) selected and some missing images appear, but not all.

Nothing is consistent, except some of the small images are missing.

Here's the number 10 step described at Microsoft Knowledge Base 28307:

Note that in some cases you may also be able to resolve this problem by manually editing the registry. For example, if the28591 String value is missing from the following registry key, a Web page that is encoded for the Western European (ISO) code page might not display any images:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\CodePage
The value for this registry key should be set to the name of the appropriate code page file in your Windows\System or Windows\System32 folder. For the Western European (ISO) code page, this value should be either Cp_28591.nls (Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition) or C_28591.NLS (Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP).

Yikes! As far as I can determine (but I'm not sure if I'm checking the right "value"), the criteria described here checks out on my system. So maybe it's not encoding at all.

Can anyone please help me???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 22 September 2006 - 04:38 AM

Which images can't you see?

#3 Kimkia

Kimkia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2006 - 02:59 PM

I'm gettting the little red x for the images that should appear next to the following links: Halloween Door Hangers, Halloween Window Clings, Grim Reaper.

Under the Pumpkin crafts, the four images in the top row are missing, Mums Pumpkin Pin shows up fine, but then the next three images in that row are missing.

All the Witch crafts appear just fine, but the Candy Apples are missing from the next row.

Under Halloween costumes, the last one, Fun Halloween Games, is missing.

Similar things are happening on other pages with multiple small images - on my own site and others. Any help you can give me would be deeply appreciated!

Edited by Kimkia, 22 September 2006 - 03:03 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2006 - 07:33 AM

Well, it renders just fine for me in Firefox and Internet Explorer. I will mention that there's a banner at the top from casalmedia that's being blocked in both of my browsers - dunno if that will have any affect on this.

Can you try this with another browser? You can download Firefox (for free) from here: http://www.mozilla.com/

If it works fine, then it's presumable your Internet Explorer. If so, try resetting it to default (using the default buttons on the different tabs in Tools...Internet Options). If that doesn't work, then you can try to repair IE using this link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=318378
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 23 September 2006 - 07:53 AM

It's showing up fine in Firefox and Internet Explorer for me as well.

These are all jpgs so there really should not be a difference in how they show up in yours, unless some are timing out.

Try emptying your Temporary Internet Files (tools/internet options - temp internet files button) and see if that clears the problem for you as that will force it to load a new version of the web page again.
It should have nothing to do with your registry settings as some of the jpgs are loading for you.

Also click "settings" and click the button to check for new version every visit to the page"

Edited by Enthusiast, 23 September 2006 - 07:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users