Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Generic PnP Driver Problem in Device Manager

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Muirsa

Muirsa

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:45 PM

Attached File  driverproblem.png   381.97KB   0 downloads  

As you can see in the attachment, in safe mode, the device manager warns me that the generic pnp monitor has a problem. But in regular mode, it doesn't. Either way, Windows can't find me the driver. 

I recently had a Driver_Power_State_Failure BSOD, and right now all I can think of is to just cross my fingers and hope it doesn't happen again. 

My question is, can you even update this driver? What does it mean if there's a problem in safe mode but not in regular mode? 

Edited by Muirsa, 26 October 2017 - 06:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:55 PM

Hi, well what you see in safe mode is normal, safe mode is a diagnostic util and because of this not all drivers and services are loaded, I take it in normal mode your display is fine? If you right click on the monitor in safe mode select properties, under the general tab you will be informed status of this device cannot be displayed in safe mode.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:36 AM

Windows uses a different driver in Safe Mode than the one used in normal mode.

Look in the Device Manager in normal mode.  If there is a problem with the graphics driver there should be either a yellow warning icon or a red error icon visible.  Because of the different driver being use this would explain why the image of the Device Manager in your post doesn't exhibit a warning or error icon.

Have you tried uninstalling the driver in the Device Manager while in normal mode?  If you can a new driver will be installed when you restart the computer.

If you try to restart the computer does it start the Startup Repair?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users