Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Whats the difference between a transgender female & transgender male?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 26 October 2017 - 04:47 PM

I don't want to sound like a dummy here but I tried to search for the difference between a transgender female & transgender male and I couldn't find anything with a clear answer.

So whats the the difference between a transgender female & transgender male?

I'm guessing that the difference between them is a transgender female is a man who's transitioning into a female and a transgender male is a woman who's transitioning into a male. :scratchhead:

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 26 October 2017 - 06:39 PM.
Moved to 'General chat'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:07 PM

The terminology can be confusing for many of us, particularly when trying to define a singular one. Am casting a wider net that might help focus things a bit. 
Having known folks, including a couple family members who are of different persuasions, my hope for anyone who questions their own sexuality to find their comfortable emotional niche where they are happy. 
Some stuff from that 'net:

Copied from Psychology Today:

The term transgender refers to people whose sense of their own gender differs from what would be expected based on the sex characteristics with which they are born. A transgender person may identify as a woman despite having been born with male genitalia, for example, and some transgender people do not specifically identify as men or women.

A transgender person may have persistent feelings, beginning as early as childhood, of gender dysphoriaa disconnect between the person's primary and secondary sex traits and designated gender and the gender that person identifies with. While many children who experience such feelings do not go on to identify as transgender in adulthood, long-standing gender dysphoria is a common experience of adults who do identify as transgender.

Transgender people may ultimately transition physically and socially in ways they feel are congruent with their identity. This might include physical procedures (involving surgery or hormones), changes in the way one dresses or behaves, and new markers of identification (such as a different name or gender-related pronouns). A person may also identify as transgender without making such changes. Transsexual is an older term used by some to refer specifically to those who seek or have undertaken a medical intervention to change their bodies. (Distinct from transgender people, cross-dressers identify with the gender label they receive at birth but occasionally wear clothing associated with a different gender.)

In addition to the word transgender, a variety of subordinate terms have been adopted by transgender people to characterize their gender identities. These include trans manmeaning one who has transitioned to live as a mantrans woman, and nonbinary, which connotes a sense that one is not strictly a man or a woman. 

Transitioning:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transitioning_(transgender)

Sex reassignment surgery:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_reassignment_surgery
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#3 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 942 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:12 PM

@ r.a.d.

TL,DR the links.

So was I correct about a transgender female is a man who's transitioning into a female and a transgender male is a woman who's transitioning into a male?

#4 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 673 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:48 PM

I'll need a couple of beers to figure that one out. :)

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,687 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:57 AM

Whether or not one is transitioning (which carries the meaning of adopting the gender markers of one's gender identity and possibly undergoing hormone treatments and/or surgery) has nothing to do with whether one is transgender or not.  It pretty much boils down to if your internal gender identity does not match your external sex you are transgender.  

If you were born as a biological male, and have the internalized gender identity of a woman, you're a trans woman.   If you were born as a biological female, and have the internalized gender identity of a man, then you're a trans man.

Anyone who is actively transitioning, whether that be strictly based on social gender roles (e.g., style of dress, hairstyles, etc.) would, of course, be a trans {insert the gender to which they are transitioning}.  This is whether one has had a single hormone treatment and/or surgery or not.  Lots of trans men do top binding (think large scale ace bandage to "flatten" their appearance) long before ever having surgery (if they ever do, some do this forever).  Of course, the converse applies for some trans women, but using obviously different methods.

So, after all of that any biological male who identifies as a female is a trans woman (girl - depending on age) and any biological female who identifies as male is a trans man (boy - depending on age).  The "trans" part has nothing to do with whether or not any actual transitioning has begun or not.  It's the prefix commonly used to denote "crossing"  e.g., transcontinental.  If you are transgender you feel that your body and your gender do not match (and that feeling is not fleeting nor a "whim").

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 673 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:29 PM

@SuperSapien64, I skimmed the links, and slow me, had to see what TL,DR meant. 
britechguy synopsized things perfectly.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,687 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:27 PM

@SuperSapien64, I skimmed the links, and slow me, had to see what TL,DR meant. 
britechguy synopsized things perfectly.

Being a "big ol' 'mo" myself, and having had a housepainter who is a trans woman and who runs that business as a family business with her boys (and, given the period of transitioning, formerly his boys) I got a lot of perspective on this firsthand.

It was fascinating what I learned from the sons, who always refer to the woman who is their biological father by her chosen name, but who also refer to her as "Dad" given that "Mom" is still alive and that's the most convenient way to give instant reference to each other as to which parent or stepparent (relatively speaking) is being talked about.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#8 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 942 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 08:02 PM

Thanks britechguy at least I was kinda close, its always nice to learn something new.:)

#9 famy09

famy09

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:58 AM

@SuperSapien64 I'm a trans man. I was born as a female but my inside was male. So I underwent the female to male surgery to become a man. I haven't undergone the complete transition. As of now, I have undergone just the top surgery. A transgender female is a female who was born as male and inside as female.

A person is referred as a trans man or trans woman only after undergoing the hormone replacement therapy or sex reassignment surgery or both. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users