Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dedicated HDD just for Microsoft 10 OS boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MannyJMC

MannyJMC

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 26 October 2017 - 04:06 PM

Hope someone can help.
I have just 1 Hard drive in the PC its been working fine but as with most its gotten really slow to start up, I mean like nearly 5 mins.
I was thinking of sticking an other drive in and moving the OS to that and setting the BIOS to boot from it. Im guessing that would solve the start up time issue.
Problem is I dont know what effect that will have on my current programs and apps on the current C: drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 26 October 2017 - 05:18 PM

Hello MannyJMC and welcome to BC!

Here's a couple of thoughts that will give you some options.

First.....Yes, you can do what you are considering, and many users do that to shorten boot times and system access times.

what effect that will have on my current programs and apps on the current C: drive

> Obviously you will have the option to install your current programs on the new C:// drive, and use your old drive for data storage or backups. You will need the program installation CDs or files to do that. If you don't have a lot of programs, that will give you a new, clean and fast OS (operating system). Note that in this scenario you will need to purchase a standalone version of Windows in order to install a brand new OS.

> You can opt to clone or install from a backup image of your old system to the new one. There are many excellent (free) utilities that will do that. My backup utility of choice is Macrium Reflect, but there are many. The drawback to that is that if you have a slow OS now, you will have that exact slow OS on your new drive when you are done, which defeats the reason you are doing it in the first place.

> My suggestion before you spend money on a new drive is to clean up your old system first. You may discover that you really have no need for a new drive after that. Most systems, over time, have a lot of useless junk loading on boot, much of which you are not aware of. If you are interested in that, post back and myself or others can walk you through a system cleanup. When I have someone bring their computer in to me with "slow" complaints such a yours, it takes me a couple of hours to clean out the junkware that is loading and they are amazed when they pick up their computer at how fast it is.

I also strongly suggest two things you really want to do before anything else:

> Run a hard drive scan on your drive to make sure that it is not in the process of failing. When  a hard drive starts to fail, any of several things can start to happen, one of which is extreme slowness. Here is my canned tutorial:

Go here and download Seatools For DOS (free)
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/#

> Accept the EULA and download the ISO file.
> When download is complete burn the ISO to a CD or DVD.
> Make sure your BIOS is set to:   1st Boot Device = CD drive, 2nd Boot Device = Hard Drive.
> Insert the CD in your optical drive and reboot.
> When the screen opens, you will see all the operating drives in your computer.
  Hilight the one that you want to use, the others will be ignored.
> Click the upper left corner for the Long Test. This will take several minutes.

> Note:
**If you get a pop-up window telling you that SMART has tripped and asking if you want to continue, choose Yes. Be sure to post that in your next reply along with the result of the test.
**If you get a message that no hard drive could be found, post that in your reply.
** Be sure to have the drive installed internally to the motherboard, not in an external case.
At the end of the test, you will get either a Pass or Fail notice. Post the result in your next reply.

Next, post in at the antivirus section of this website and ask for someone to check your drive for infections. If you have never done this, it is best to be assured that you have a clean drive to image from. Of course, if you opt to reinstall everything from scratch as my first option above, any virus will be nuked so this step then is not necessary.

Edited by ranchhand_, 27 October 2017 - 09:09 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:51 AM

There are a lot of details missing from your post.

What type of machine is this? (Make and Model would be good)

How large is your current drive?

How much money do you have to spend on the new drive?

For myself, I look at situations like this as an opportunity to clean house.  I would purchase a new Solid State Drive (SSD).  Remove the old drive and install the SSD.  Install Windows and my programs on the SSD.  Reinstall the old drive and copy my data over.

By performing a clean install, rather than cloning the drive, you are removing any chance of just moving your problem to the new drive.

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 729 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:04 PM

I agree with Kilroy; but, would add that, if you are fairly sure your current Windows is not infected or hijacked, the drive you have now may be failing.  Unexplained slowness or freezing is a classic sign.

No matter what, backup the files you care about, ASAP and then check the SMART attributes of the drive to see if it is close to dying.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#5 MannyJMC

MannyJMC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:14 PM

Hello MannyJMC and welcome to BC!
Here's a couple of thoughts that will give you some options.
First.....Yes, you can do what you are considering, and many users do that to shorten boot times and system access times.

what effect that will have on my current programs and apps on the current C: drive

> Obviously you will have the option to install your current programs on the new C:// drive, and use your old drive for data storage or backups. You will need the program installation CDs or files to do that. If you don't have a lot of programs, that will give you a new, clean and fast OS (operating system). Note that in this scenario you will need to purchase a standalone version of Windows in order to install a brand new OS.
> You can opt to clone or install from a backup image of your old system to the new one. There are many excellent (free) utilities that will do that. My backup utility of choice is Macrium Reflect, but there are many. The drawback to that is that if you have a slow OS now, you will have that exact slow OS on your new drive when you are done, which defeats the reason you are doing it in the first place.
> My suggestion before you spend money on a new drive is to clean up your old system first. You may discover that you really have no need for a new drive after that. Most systems, over time, have a lot of useless junk loading on boot, much of which you are not aware of. If you are interested in that, post back and myself or others can walk you through a system cleanup. When I have someone bring their computer in to me with "slow" complaints such a yours, it takes me a couple of hours to clean out the junkware that is loading and they are amazed when they pick up their computer at how fast it is.
I also strongly suggest two things you really want to do before anything else:
> Run a hard drive scan on your drive to make sure that it is not in the process of failing. When  a hard drive starts to fail, any of several things can start to happen, one of which is extreme slowness. Here is my canned tutorial:

Go here and download Seatools For DOS (free)
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/#

> Accept the EULA and download the ISO file.
> When download is complete burn the ISO to a CD or DVD.
> Make sure your BIOS is set to:   1st Boot Device = CD drive, 2nd Boot Device = Hard Drive.
> Insert the CD in your optical drive and reboot.
> When the screen opens, you will see all the operating drives in your computer.
  Hilight the one that you want to use, the others will be ignored.
> Click the upper left corner for the Long Test. This will take several minutes.
> Note:
**If you get a pop-up window telling you that SMART has tripped and asking if you want to continue, choose Yes. Be sure to post that in your next reply along with the result of the test.
**If you get a message that no hard drive could be found, post that in your reply.
** Be sure to have the drive installed internally to the motherboard, not in an external case.
At the end of the test, you will get either a Pass or Fail notice. Post the result in your next reply.

Next, post in at the antivirus section of this website and ask for someone to check your drive for infections. If you have never done this, it is best to be assured that you have a clean drive to image from. Of course, if you opt to reinstall everything from scratch as my first option above, any virus will be nuked so this step then is not necessary.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:34 PM

Well...I would just open a topic in the appropriate O/S forum and get some valid information about what the problem might be or not be...before I start thinking about ways to overcome it.  There are various items which can create/result in slow boot situations...and I believe few of them are solved by merely adding another drive and installing Windows on it.  Before I assumed...that is the problem...I would take a look at possible contributors.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users