Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MalwareBytes Free

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 digorok

digorok

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 26 October 2017 - 02:03 PM

I got a notice that a new version was available.

I loaded it and it replaced my old free version.

This new one is only good for a 14 day free trial.

Is there still a free version available?????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:40 PM

Not to worry, it won't self destruct & disappear. After the 14 day trial is up it will revert to the free version you are familiar with. Of course if you like the full time monitoring you can purchase the software. Near the end of the 14 days it should pop up notices that the trial is running out. If you aren't going to purchase, just ignore the notices.

The really frightening thing about middle age is the knowledge that you'll grow out of it.

#3 digorok

digorok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 04:47 PM

Thank you.

I was worried that it would just not work after the trial ended.

I run it every week so I think I'm ok.

I don't ever recall it catching anything in the full scan.

is that a good thing????

#4 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 05:05 PM

I update & run a scan with mine weekly. It always comes back clean. Continue to exercise good common sense & safe computing. Stray from that & no doubt, Malwarebytes will start finding things.

The really frightening thing about middle age is the knowledge that you'll grow out of it.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,953 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:44 PM

...I don't ever recall it catching anything in the full scan...

There really is no need to perform a FULL or CUSTOM SCAN with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Why?

Malwarebytes is designed to remove malware effectively with a THREAT SCAN (formerly QUICK SCAN) which checks memory, looks at the most prevalent places and known launch points for active malware infections. The THREAT SCAN also detects any running malicious files regardless of its location so even if the malware is running from a location not checked by the file system portion of the scan, the THREAT SCAN would still detect it. This check includes not only running processes, but also loaded modules such as .DLLs injected into other processes. Both scans use heuristics that bypasses polymorphic blackhat packers & encryption, MD5, check memory (loaded .exes and .dlls), unique strings, autostart load points and hotspots (everywhere current malware is known to load from) and multiple other malware checks which are not discussed in public to safeguard the program from malware writers who would use that information for nefarious purposes.

A Full Scan is generally only recommended for heavily infected systems...showing obvious indications (signs of infection and malware symptoms) that something is wrong.
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:47 PM

There really is no need to perform a FULL or CUSTOM SCAN with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Good point Quietman. I didn't catch his mentioning a full scan. I always run a full scan though on friends/customers computers as I have no clue what they may have been up to. It's not likely they would truthfully tell me anyway. It's always the "How in blazes did I get that" routine. The quick/threat scan has always been sufficient for my personal equipment. 

#7 digorok

digorok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:39 AM

I have the free version.

I don't think it's real time scanning.

I think I have to do it manually.

Am I correct?????

I keep on getting a message that a "New Improved Version is ready to download".

Is this just another way for them to get me to get the paid version??????

#8 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:09 AM

The free version requires you do manual scans. The offer for the newer version may offer or give you a 14 day trial. Near the end of the 14 days it should pop up notices that the trial is running out. If you aren't going to purchase, just ignore the notices. It Will Auto Revert To The FREE version. Yes, Malwarebytes would like for you to purchase. Many users do. Regardless I recommend you upgrade.

What version are you currently running? 

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,953 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:52 AM

There is no difference between the Free, Trial and Premium download files. The installer/setup for all three are the same. If you are installing for the first time during the install, it will ask if you want a 14-day trial mode. After the trial you can choose to continue using Free or upgrade to paid Premium. If you decide to purchase the Premium version, then you will be provided a license that will activate the product and enable the Premium features. If after 14 days, you don't want the Premium version there is nothing you need to do as Malwarebytes 3.x reverts to manual stand-alone scanner that detects and removes malware when you run a scan but it no longer provides real-time protection to prevent infection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017

#10 digorok

digorok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:48 PM

I have 3.2.2

Used to have an old free version, but I down loader what i thought was a new free version. 

It was a new one with the free trial.

Now that the free trial is done, I keep on getting a pop up telling me a new version is available.

Hate pop ups.

#11 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:42 PM

See this BleepingComputer link: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

#12 digorok

digorok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:31 AM

Thanks

Downloaded and ran a scan.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,953 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:29 AM

Even Malwarebytes 3.x Premium (and most other security products) will notify when a new version has been released to ensure you are always updated with the most current. That type of notification is not the same as nagging pop up alerts prompting you to upgrade to a paid version.
Windows Insider MVP 2017

#14 digorok

digorok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:00 AM

No pop-up's since I downloaded this new version.

Thank you.

#15 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:27 AM

Good to hear it. Glad that quietman7 & I were able to help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users