Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk usage regularly at 100% on new Windows 10 PC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ozzyrs

Ozzyrs

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:55 AM

Hi all, 

I recently bought a new computer for the purpose of gaming. However after setting it up I noticed it was performing regular every day tasks quite slowly (e.g. opening Google Chrome, Spotify and Steam).

When opening task manager I noticed that the disk section was regularly sitting at 100%.
I'm not entirely sure what to do as a lot of different sources are suggesting different causes and solutions for this problem.

I have downloaded a program called "Process explorer" and took a screenshot of all the current processes running.

https://imgur.com/gallery/ydfl8

Any help would be much appreciated

-Alex

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 26 October 2017 - 02:23 PM

How much RAM does the machine have?  If the answer is 4GB, that is most likely your problem.  Open up Resource Monitor and switch to the Memory tab and looked at the Hard Faults/sec.  A high number of Hard Faults will indicate a lot of data being written to, and read from the disk.

#3 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 881 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 28 October 2017 - 01:59 AM

Hi, your link to process explorer shows very little activity so it doesn't help much, windows updates indexing and other tasks can slow you down for a while after you get a new computer, you obviously have well more then 4 gb of ram so i doubt that is a problem.

I think you will find the worst thing you can do for a computer (especially for gaming) is to run McAfee, it is totally unsuited, Defender will give you superior protection and your computer will run appreciably better. You will need to use McAfee's uninstaller to be rid of it.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:14 AM

McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool Download    <- use this tool to uninstall McAfee entirely.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 09:36 AM

Sorry, didn't look at the image, so RAM isn't an issue.  If would have helped if you had sorted by disk usage so we could see what was using the disk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users