Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gmail Dropdown Option Don't Respond In Firefox

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 chiiibill

chiiibill

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:34 AM

Win 10

Using Firefox with NoScript, UBlock Origin. Set to not save History.

No Gmail issues in Chrome.

When I begin to enter a saved email address it will show bubble with full address but when I click on the bubble with full address only the letter that I typed appear in the email as if the address was not recognized.

Try to go to settings but none of the dropdown options respond (settings, themes, contacts, etc.).

Cleared cache.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Edited by chiiibill, 26 October 2017 - 11:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,354 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:42 AM

Try disabling NoScript.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#3 chiiibill

chiiibill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:02 AM

Unfortunately no change.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:03 AM

gstatic.com is the only script shown when I just now checked to see what scripts were allowed or not by NoScript. gstatic is allowed and I am not

having the problem you have when typing in an address.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,130 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:05 AM

Now try disabling your ad blocker and restarting Firefox.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 5,354 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:17 AM

This is going to sound bizarre, but have you done a Restart?  (I don't mean a shut down followed by a powering up, as if Fast Startup is enabled the OS does not get loaded from scratch).

I have seen some really inexplicable problems that cleared up once a Restart was performed.   This has led me to believe that they are somehow tied to corruption of some sort in the Windows 10 system state hibernation file that is used as part of Fast Startup.   A Restart forces this to be flushed and the OS loaded again from disc.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

#7 chiiibill

chiiibill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:32 AM

Thanks all for the replies.

Problem remains even with NoScript & UBlock O. disabled.

I probably should mention (at the risk of sounding paranoid) that I'm also using Bitdefender Internet Security, Hitman Pro.A, Cybereason and a VPN (I'll bet that, even if not the cause of this particular issue, this mix must be causing some conflict).

britechguy, as a novice, not sure what a Restart is.

Thanks

Edited by chiiibill, 26 October 2017 - 11:37 AM.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,130 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:17 PM

It could be one of those security programs is the problem. I suggest disabling both Hitman pro.A and Cyberreason to check if one is the problem.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 5,354 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:36 PM

When you hit the start button in Windows 10, followed by the Power button that pops up in the Start Menu directly above it, you will be presented with your system's power-down options, which will always include "Shut down" and "Restart," at a minimum.  Most also include "Sleep" and, if you or whoever set up your machine enabled it, "Hibernate."

You would need to choose Restart.

I will also add that an excess of caution is as bad as complete lack of safe computing practices as far as usability of a computer.   If you follow safe computing practices (see:  Quietman7's Best Practices for Safe Computing  and What you must understand regarding computer security) all the defenses in the world will very seldom, if ever, be called upon to do anything.

Edited by britechguy, 26 October 2017 - 12:39 PM.

#10 chiiibill

chiiibill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 06:53 PM

I disabled security with no luck. Well, I ‘ended task’ for HP.A and disabled all the settings in Bitdefender.

Same with rebooting (at first, I thought the 'Restart' suggestion was referring to something more exotic than just the basic restart).

Already had one issue with Bitdefender/Firefox issue in which it would block SSL. They said turning off SSL scanning in 'Web Protection' would solve it and it did.  So, I thought this issue might again be resolved in BIS settings. No luck.

Then again, disabling above programs doesn’t mean that they are fully disabled.

Might try uninstalling the programs, see if the problems are solved, then reinstall them and which installation reintroduces the problem.

Appreciate the replies. Thanks.

EDIT: forgot to mention that the issue is not only in GMail. If I start writing a search word in a browser or search in Facebook ,for example, I would click on the 'bubble' with the suggested/completed word (like the GMail address) but it would not appear in the search window.

Edited by chiiibill, 30 October 2017 - 07:18 PM.

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,130 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:01 PM

Uninstall both Hitman pro.A and Cyberreason.

#12 chiiibill

chiiibill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:20 PM

Thanks again Buddy215. Issue is on a work laptop.

Will  try first thing in AM.

(Is you avatar an archeopteryx?)

#13 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,130 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:36 PM

Yep...it's a dino.

You know, I really am more suspicious of Cyberreason. Try uninstalling that one first.

#14 chiiibill

chiiibill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 09:10 PM

Will do.

Thanks again.

#15 chiiibill

chiiibill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 02:35 PM

Mystery continues.

Ended up uninstalling Cybereason, HP.A and Bitdefender with no improvement.

Could it be a Mozilla issue. can't imagine what it might be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users