Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Simple Home Network

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 04:53 PM

Suggestions:

Run multiple network lines to each location [future expandability / versitility]

Consider using a patch panel for the termination of the network lines.  Gives you more flexibility down the road

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#17 Bob_Gallinger

Bob_Gallinger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:57 PM

Ya I just bought a box of 1000ft.cat5 cable... I do plan on running a couple extra lines into each location walls while the basement is unfinished...
Thanks for the advice.

#18 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:53 AM

Ya I just bought a box of 1000ft.cat5 cable... I do plan on running a couple extra lines into each location walls while the basement is unfinished...
Thanks for the advice.

hope you researched cable and bought the good stuff, "solid copper".  aluminum clad wire is horrible and doesn't age good.

#19 Bob_Gallinger

Bob_Gallinger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 11:03 AM

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00E6EBPVE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I did do research, I'm pretty sure I bought the right stuff.

The cheaper stuff was like half this price but if it's going in my walls, I'm only doing it once.

Is this the right stuff?

Hey also,  do the end connectors really matter?  You can buy a box of 100 for a few dollars or like "good" ones for like $0.50/each.

Thanks again guys..

#20 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 11:34 AM

If you're running in the wall with solid cable you should be terminating to jacks and running patch cables to equipment.  It will make your life a lot easier than attempting to crimp ends on the cables.

It is going to add a little to your project, but you'll have less hassle if you terminate to a patch panel in the basement and jacks on the other end.  Monoprice is a US vendor, I don't know of a Canadian vendor.  Links are more to give you an idea of what we're talking about.

#21 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:23 PM

yeah we do punch down connectors in wall plates and punch down panels with a patch bay so we can convert between LAN and our PBX phone system that also uses RJ45 connections.

and if you do the punch down panels make sure you pay attention to the cutoff side of the punch down tool when inserting wires or you'll clip the wrong side.

I also use an EZ - RJ45 crimp tool and use EZ connectors that I can feed the wires all the way through the connector and verify the wire went in the correct position before crimping.  Here is a link that shows the wire pass thru connectors.  they are pretty cool and I don't make mistakes putting ends on.

https://www.amazon.com/PETECH-Network-Modular-Connector-Through/dp/B06VX2BHR1/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1509643233&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=ez+rj45+crimp+tool&psc=1

the crimper cuts the pass thru wires off when it crimps the ends on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users