Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Simple Home Network

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Bob_Gallinger

Bob_Gallinger

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:20 AM

Hey,
  I'm pretty basic with this networking stuff but I give it my best....

Current Setup;
Phone line to DSL provided modem (Bell Canada HUB 1000)
Modem set in "Bridge Mode"
WAN port out to Router
Use wireless wifi from Router + 2 LAN ports out from router to Android box and PS3.

Wanted Setup;
Same as above but have the ability to connect more computers to the LAN ports of the Modem while still connecting LAN to back of router.

Would like to centralize the modem to a better location (utility room in basement) and branch everything off from there, pain in the butt with current location with both modem and router coming up from behind my main TV..

Any help, thanks.
Bob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:58 AM

then all you need is an ethernet switch, don't buy a hub if you buy used equipment.  hubs are old and out dated and can cause headaches literally.

now when you buy a switch make sure you pay attention to your network speeds mainly your modem/router.  are the ports 10/100 or 10/100/1000.  if it's a 10/100/1000 make sure you get a switch that's the same then you can take advantage of gigabit speed on the local internal net connections.   you can use 10/100 without a problem also, but if you have the gigabit ability go with it.  especially if you backing up data across a network.

same applies with your internet connection if you have 100mbit or higher internet connection then you'll want the gigabit switch.

and I really don't suggest buying a used switch anyways, most are being sold because of power supply issues from being on for days, months, years at a time.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:33 AM

Agree - if all you want are more ethernet connections, a switch is the best option. I use both of these and can recommend them without hesitation:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00002EQCW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00002EQCS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#4 Bob_Gallinger

Bob_Gallinger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:02 PM

Thanks guys.....
So the switch comes out of the router LAN port?
There's no way to use the LAN ports on both modem and wifi router simultaneously? I have to get a switch?

#5 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 588 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:22 PM

You will have to get a switch hard charger. Your Bell Canada HUB 1000 is in Bridged Mode. So routing capabilities are turned off, all ports are opened and a Public IP Address is being assigned to your personal router which is also your firewall. Anything you plug into the modem is potentially exposing it to the internet that is not behind a firewall. My advice is to get the switch.

Edited by arlattimor, 26 October 2017 - 12:22 PM.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#6 Bob_Gallinger

Bob_Gallinger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:53 PM

I'm so confused, wish I knew more about this simple networking stuff but hey... I'm trying.

Additional questions;

- Does my Modem have to be in "Bridge Mode"?  I only did this cause of something I read when I was installing the new wifi router.

-  If I take it out of Bridge Mode will I be able to use LAN ports in Modem and Router?

- Can the order of components go as follows ?...

1 - DSL Phone line to Modem.

2 - Modem WAN port to Switch.

3 - Switch LAN port to wifi Router.

4 - Plug other desktops to switch, all wifi devices communicate to router.

or does the switch have to come after the router?

Maybe this is all above my pay grade !!!!!!!  Just take the kids/wife devices away and forget about it !!!!

Thanks again

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 26 October 2017 - 02:51 PM

Having the modem in bridge modem makes using a router easier.

Your order will be: DSL line to Modem -> Modem to Router WAN -> Router LAN -> Switch -> equipment.

Now, since your router has two LAN ports you can use one for a priority device, like your computer.

Think of a network like a funnel.  The switch is the large end of the funnel and the connection to router is the small end.  Everything connected to the switch can talk to everything else connected to the switch at the lowest speed involved.  If the connections are all 1000, but the switch is 100 then everything on the switch is 100.  If the switch is 1000, but you have a 1000 device talking to a 100 device the speed is 100.  Now, here's where the funnel part comes in.  When the network traffic leaves the switch it flow out the one line to the router, so everything connected to the switch shares the one line to the router.  So, all of the devices on the switch have to go through the switch to get to the router to get to Internet.  This is where the second LAN port on router comes in, a device connected directly to the router instead of the switch is not sharing its path to the Internet with each individual device, only with the combined traffic.

So, the router would be a funnel with 7 inputs and one output to the router.  The router would be a funnel with two inputs (the switch and any directly connected device) and one output to the modem which has one output to the Internet.

#8 Bob_Gallinger

Bob_Gallinger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:19 PM

Thanks Kilroy, I'm pretty sure I understand your comments.....

So how would you set up my home network?  What equipment and what location in the house would you put them?

3000 sq/ft 2 story house, unfinished basement (working on finishing it).

Here is my current setup.

a) DSL line comes in the basement at breaker box area under stairs.

B) DSL line goes across basement ceiling joist to other side of house, up the wall in behind my main living room TV.

c) DSL input to BELL modem.

d) Modem WAN out to wifi router.

e) #1 Router LAN out to android box, #2 Router LAN out to PS4, #3 Router LAN out to Smart TV (all 3 devices within 5 feet of main living room TV)

f) Have wifi range extender at top of main floor stairs.

The antennas of the wifi router stick out from above the back of the TV.  Both modem and router are mounted behind the tv (not in wall).

I'm happy with my wifi range, no problem there.

New setup requires additional LAN;

1 - Office (desktop computer).

2 - Basement Tool Room/Mans Room (android box)

3 - Front living Room smart TV.

I only get one shot at running cables before I finish my basement.  Also I hate getting in behind my large TV whenever I have to reset or do something with Modem or Router.

Ideally I would like to run the DSL from under basement stairs into my tool room. 

Have a network shelf with whatever equipment I need and all Cat5 cables run from that room up to front living room, office, main living room.

I could do this now but I'm unsure about how I get the wifi router back up in behind the main TV.

I know I can tackle this project, I just need the proper guidance.

How would you do this???

Thanks for everything.

Bob

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,132 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:42 AM

Depending on how much you want to spend on this project will depend on how to do it.  I guess that's what I'd start with, how much do you want to spend?

It also sounds like your house is three floors: basement, first floor, second floor.  Is that correct?

If you go with one of the new Mesh Router systems you're looking at about $300 for the hardware.  Advantage is that you can put one of the router bases on each floor to have good WiFi throughout the house.  While these systems make it easy to get WiFi throughout your home they don't have a lot of the advanced features you would have with a stand alone router and access point configuration.

The less expensive option would be to use the equipment you have now and pick up a few 10/100/1000 switches, cost estimate $100 - $200.  It sounds like moving the DSL below the stairs should be easy enough.  You would need two network lines, minimum, to your wireless router if you want to keep it where it is.  Line one would go from the DSL Modem to the Router WAN and the second would go back down to a switch.  You could use the remaining router LAN connections for equipment there.  If using the one to go back down to a switch would leave you short you can add another small switch where your current equipment is located.  Your switches have to have enough ports for the number of devices you want to connect, plus one to connect it to the network.

Myself, I have eero mesh system, I bought when it was a Kickstarter project.  I don't know about the rest of the systems, but updates are done automatically, so the recent KRACK wireless vulnerability was mitigated without me having to do anything.  I can also use a phone app to check the status of my network.  There's no one home and 21 devices on the network, my download speed is 82Mbps with 5Mbps up, and all three routers are up and running.  I have a few more devices than the average person and add more on a regular basis.

My cable modem connects to the primary router with a network connection to a switch in the room and a network connection to a second mesh router in my basement.  From the router in the basement I connect to a switch by my entertainment system.  The third router is completely wireless and in the master bedroom in the basement.

#10 Bob_Gallinger

Bob_Gallinger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:53 AM

Hey guys,

So this is what I've purchased, maybe right, maybe wrong but I have to start trying something.

My current equipment is;

- Bell Canada supplied modem (put in bridge mode)

- Wifi Router, https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00BUSDVBQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

- Repeater, https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00NR2VMNC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

New equipment;

- 8 Port Switch, https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00A121WN6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

- AP, https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01N0XZ1TU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thoughts anyone?

Do you think the new AP would be good enough to act as my main floor wifi?  Would this new AP wifi range be as good as my current router/wifi?

My layout will be as follows.

Basement Toolroom

-  DSL line into Modem.

-  Modem to my current router.

-  Router to Switch.

-  Router to Smart Android Box.

Main Floor

-  Switch to AP in main living area (above TV)

-  Switch to PS4, Andoid Box, 2 Smart TV's, Office Desktop.

Upstairs

-  Plug in repeater at top of stairs.

So in total I count LAN's being used...... 1 on router, 7 on switch.

Leaving me with 3 available on router and 1 on switch.

Question - Do I connect router to switch using router WAN or LAN?

Thanks guys !!!!

Bob

#11 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 09:45 AM

"Question - Do I connect router to switch using router WAN or LAN?"

Wan port is only for the connection to the internet.  You are adding ports to the lan by adding a switch so it would be a lan port on the router you connect the switch to.

#12 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,132 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 02:45 PM

Is the switch going to be on the main floor or are you running lines for everything?

You're using two of the four on the router, one for the switch and one for the Smart Android Box

#13 Bob_Gallinger

Bob_Gallinger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 02:52 PM

Was going to leave switch in the basement and run individual Ethernet cables to every component on the main floor.

Kilroy,  So your also saying router LAN out to the Switch...

#14 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,132 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 02:56 PM

Wide Area Network (WAN) = Internet

Local Area Network (LAN) = Home network

Depending on how close the equipment is on the main floor you might want to put the switch up there, or a smaller switch.  I've got an eight port by my entertainment system, it seems everything wants a network connection these days.

#15 Bob_Gallinger

Bob_Gallinger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 03:02 PM

My main floor equipment are in different rooms.

Main living room;

- Smart TV

- Android Box

- Wifi AP

Office;

- Desktop Computer

Front Living room;

- PS4

- Smart TV

Unfinished basement leaves me great opportunity to route lines in the basement ceiling and then vertically straight up into each room.

I can always add additional "switches" in each room if needed down the road.

Thanks

Edited by Bob_Gallinger, 31 October 2017 - 03:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users