Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:40 AM

I have been using www.google.com.au as my search engine for years and today suddenly it has changed to www.google.com.ie and no matter what or how much I try I can't get it back to the original www.google.com.au

Any help would be appreciated thank you.

Please disregard problem solved :thumbup2:

Edited by Beel, 26 October 2017 - 07:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,861 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:52 AM

how did you do it mate ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 Beel

Beel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:02 AM

Hi Condo went into search settings/region and up game a list of countries, ticked on good old OZ and I was back in business. How that happened in the first place I have no idea but I am a happy little wombat once again.

Edited by Beel, 26 October 2017 - 10:06 AM.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,861 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:25 PM

:thumbsup2: ....

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,555 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:29 PM

Beel.....Cousin Wombat snuck into your settings and pulled the trick on you! Stubby little bugger!  :lmao:

I am curious to know what OS you are using, and if you just experienced a security update? Did you notice any change in your date and time in the taskbar? Although you have regained the setting you want, I agree that it's perplexing as to what caused this setting to change.  :idea:

#6 Beel

Beel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:01 AM

Hello Lisa, OS W7, I have windows updates set to auto and there were no changes to date & time etc. The most likely cause, knowing me, I wasn't watching what I was doing and mistakenly clicked on something which I shouldn't? All seems fine for now & I will try to watch what I am doing in future... :thumbup2:

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,861 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:51 AM

G'day again Beel...Softeyes may just have a point there....when i click on the google.com.ie     .....I get "Firefox can’t find the server at www.google.com.ie."........

Just a thin chance that a browser hijacker is trying you out.

Download Temp File Cleaner (TFC)
Alternate download: http://www.itxassociates.com/OT-Tools/TFC.exe
Double click on TFC.exe to run the program.
Click on Start button to begin cleaning process.
TFC will close all running programs, and it may ask you to restart computer.

Then....

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.

• Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
    Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator
  • The tool will start to update the database if one is required.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
  • After the scan has finished, click on the Logfile button.
  • A window will open which lists the logs of your scans.
  • Click on the Scan tab.
  • Double-click the most recent scan which will be at the top of the list....the log will appear.
  • Review the results...see note below
  • After reviewing the log, click on the Clean button.
  • Press OK when asked to close all programs and follow the onscreen prompts.
  • Press OK again to allow AdwCleaner to restart the computer and complete the removal process.
  • After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[CX].txt) will open automatically (where the largest value of X represents the most recent report).
  • To open a Cleaning log, launch AdwareClearer, click on the Logfile button, click on the Cleaning tab and double-click the log at the top of the list.
  • Copy and paste the contents of AdwCleaner[CX].txt in your next reply.
  • A copy of all logfiles are saved to C:\AdwCleaner.

-- Note: The contents of the AdwCleaner log file may be confusing. Unless you see a program name or entry that you recognize and know should not be removed, don't worry about it. If you see an entry you want to keep, return to AdwCleaner before cleaning...all detected items will be listed (and checked) in each tab. Click on and uncheck any items you want to keep.

download rkill to your desktop as well as Malwarebytes (if you already have it, then no need to download it)

Run Rkill and Mbam with NO reboot inbetween.

Copy and paste both logs into your reply.

Please download Rkill (courtesy of BleepingComputer.com) to your desktop.
There are 2 different versions. If one of them won't run then download and try to run the other one.
You only need to get one of these to run, not all of them. You may get warnings from your antivirus about this tool, ignore them or shutdown your antivirus.

rKill.exe: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/dl/10/
iExplore.exe (renamed rKill.exe): http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/dl/11/

• Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
  • If using Windows Vista, 7 or 8 right-click on it and choose Run As Administrator.
  • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
  • Do not reboot until instructed.
  • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.

If normal mode still doesn't work, run the tool from safe mode.

When the scan is done Notepad will open with rKill log.
Post it in your next reply.

NOTE. rKill.txt log will also be present on your desktop.

I am going to assume you already run malwarebytes.

If you dont....just let me know and I will give you the link.

The free version works quite well, and gives good protection when run once a week or so.

#8 Beel

Beel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:11 AM

Okay Condo did all what you requested which surprised me no end as I am not into all the mechanics etc of computers. However no matter how I tried I couldn't paste the results in this reply. Rkill 29.1 came up totally clear and MWB's found 2 ie PuP optional S Reg V & PuP optional S Reg K. apart from that clear.

So to me all seems clear as I have not experienced the problem I had re the Google home page issue again.

Hope you are happy with the results & if so many thanks for you help mate.. All the very best Bill.

#9 Beel

Beel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:16 AM

Condo tried again to paste & it worked? It's all beyond me mate!

Rkill 2.9.1 by Lawrence Abrams (Grinler)   
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/
Copyright 2008-2017 BleepingComputer.com
More Information about Rkill can be found at this link:
 http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic308364.html

Program started at: 10/27/2017 11:30:48 AM in x64 mode.
Windows Version: Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1

Checking for Windows services to stop:

* No malware services found to stop.

Checking for processes to terminate:

* No malware processes found to kill.

Checking Registry for malware related settings:

* No issues found in the Registry.

Resetting .EXE, .COM, & .BAT associations in the Windows Registry.

Performing miscellaneous checks:

* No issues found.

Searching for Missing Digital Signatures:

* No issues found.

Checking HOSTS File:

* No issues found.

Program finished at: 10/27/2017 11:33:19 AM
Execution time: 0 hours(s), 2 minute(s), and 31 seconds(s)

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,861 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:45 AM

Ok Bill....all looks good.

Just keep an eye out for any "unusual" behaviour from your browser.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users